Greetings from Dover, UK

Kalasinar

Hi there, thanks for the add. My name is Jade and I've been browsing this very helpful site since last year when I quite unexpectedly took up building some Airfix Spitfires. Got a bit addictive so I've decided to continue making models.

I'm a law enforcement officer by day/night and make ceramic musical instruments in my spare time. I decided last year that winter is too cold for making instruments in the workshop, but I can sit in the warmth of my own home making models instead. Currently working on my third model build, a Dambuster Lancaster.

I love seeing the models posted on here by all you talented folk, and I look forward to seeing more.

All the best,

Jade

• Like 3

Hi Jade welcome to the mad house.

If you are interested in a modelling club there are 2 in your area.

Shepway Military Modelling Society. They hang out Hawkinge way.

And my lot East Kent Scale Modellers who are based at Manston.

If you want more info PM me.

Cheers

Dick

Edited by jenko
spelling.......again!!!

Hello Jade. Look forward to seeing some of your models. Nice to see another lady modeller - we do see an increasing number at shows about the UK.

I originated in Eastry but lived in Dover (River) for many years before my exile to the Midlands. Still visit from time to time - miss the sea!

I have been a member here for a few years and you will not be disappointed - great forum!

Cheers

Malcolm

Thanks so much everyone for the warm welcome. I've lurked here for too long - I should have joined ages ago!

I find myself lucky to be based where I am due to the proximity of the Hornby Visitor's Centre in Thanet. I've made a few trips over there on the motorbike for supplies. I do feel a bit of an oddity sometimes as I guess not many women get into this sort of thing?

@ Jenko: Thanks for the info, I'll have a look into both clubs, shiftwork permitting. I'm over Folkestone way a lot for work, but then Manston isn't far for me either. It would be nice to get to know some folks and learn more.

@Corsairfoxforuncle: Thankyou for your kindness, I am still very new to this and have been absolutely blown away by the detail put into models on this forum. Some very talented people here and it's good to know the community is a supportive one.

@Baldy: Ah Eastry is a nice place, River too for that matter. I have a lot of fond childhood memories at Kearsney Abbey. As always though, the best thing about Dover is the castle, so magnificent on the cliffs. I'm a big history nut so I'm enamoured with the history there.

• Like 2

Hi Jade, welcome to the forum.  I lived in Dover (Tower Hamlets) for several years before moving to Bedford.  Prior to that I lived just up the coast from Dover at St. Margarets.  I spent eleven years working at Eastern Docks and the Hoverport for what then was H M Customs & Excise.

Kearsney Abbey grounds were beautiful and Dover Castle itself is very impressive; the audio tour was (is?) great, with a bloodthirsty-sounding narrator detailing the various grisly fates awaiting potential intruders.  Walks along the cliff tops watching the ferries was usually a pleasant experience, even on a grim winter’s day just watching the power of the sea against the cliffs and harbour walls.

There are a few women modellers around: we’ve even had, and I hope still have, some on here (Shellicool, of fairly recent arrivalsprings to mind) so you oughtn’t feel alone.  I’ve tried to get my daughter interested but she seems to enjoy the painting aspect more.  I hope you’ll post some of your work on here soon (I wish I could work out how to using an iPad) and, as others have said, if you want to know something just ask.  You’ll get umpteen-dozen different answers but at least you’ll get something.

• Like 1

Jade, hi from Warsaw, Poland. This forum is great group of people, I'm sure you will enjoy it!
BTW, I see you're interested in ocarinas - do you know this guy?

Grzegorz (English Gregory)

Edited by GrzeM
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 1/13/2019 at 9:15 PM, stever219 said:

Hi Jade, welcome to the forum.  I lived in Dover (Tower Hamlets) for several years before moving to Bedford.  Prior to that I lived just up the coast from Dover at St. Margarets.  I spent eleven years working at Eastern Docks and the Hoverport for what then was H M Customs & Excise.

Kearsney Abbey grounds were beautiful and Dover Castle itself is very impressive; the audio tour was (is?) great, with a bloodthirsty-sounding narrator detailing the various grisly fates awaiting potential intruders.  Walks along the cliff tops watching the ferries was usually a pleasant experience, even on a grim winter’s day just watching the power of the sea against the cliffs and harbour walls.

There are a few women modellers around: we’ve even had, and I hope still have, some on here (Shellicool, of fairly recent arrivalsprings to mind) so you oughtn’t feel alone.  I’ve tried to get my daughter interested but she seems to enjoy the painting aspect more.  I hope you’ll post some of your work on here soon (I wish I could work out how to using an iPad) and, as others have said, if you want to know something just ask.  You’ll get umpteen-dozen different answers but at least you’ll get something.

Hey Stever, sorry for the late reply I completely missed replies to this post as I've been busy away from the forum. St Margaret's is a beautiful village and I cycle there often or walk along the Saxon Shoreway on the cliffs to the War Memorial. I am currently living in a village just a short way along from there but will hopefully be moving to Dover.

I'm curious as to when you worked for Customs and Excise as my dad was an officer there for about thirty years. I myself am an officer in Border Force now, following in my father's and my brother's footsteps.

The war tunnel tour at the castle has changed a lot over the years. Every time someone comes to visit me I make sure to take them to the castle as it's always such a wonder to behold. The overhead narration of a pilot being rushed to the underground hospital was taken out for a time and replaced by a quite awful actor duo (nurse and pilot) which was far too comedic for my tastes and detracted from the seriousness of it all. Thankfully the next time I took a friend there they reverted back to the old audio, and as far as I'm aware they're still using it. I find it very atmospheric and a fantastic experience.

On 1/18/2019 at 4:09 PM, GrzeM said:

Jade, hi from Warsaw, Poland. This forum is great group of people, I'm sure you will enjoy it!
BTW, I see you're interested in ocarinas - do you know this guy?

Grzegorz (English Gregory)

Hi Grzegorz, yes I am indeed interested in ocarinas - as a matter of fact, I make them! I've been making ceramic ocarinas since 2010 and I make models when it's too cold over winter to make ocarinas in my workshop. Thanks for the video, I hadn't seen this chap before and this is absolutely wonderful! Do you know the player personally? Does he ever attend the Ocarina Festival in Budrio, Italy?

Edited by Kalasinar

'Afternoon Jade, and a belated welcome from sunny SW France. I was a bit taken aback when I read your interests, as I wondered what the devil was Man Dolin. I dreaded asking until I realised the obvious.:giggle:

John.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Kalasinar said:

I'm curious as to when you worked for Customs and Excise as my dad was an officer there for about thirty years. I myself am an officer in Border Force now, following in my father's and my brother's footsteps.

Hi Jade.  Don’t worry about the delay in responding: I’m shockingly bad at keeping in touch so I suspect that some poor soul has had karma by proxy at my expense (if that makes any sense whatever).

I joined HM C & E almost directly from school in September ‘79, spent three months at the now-demolished Burlington House and was the deported to the Eastern Docks Penal Colony, aka the Import Freight Shed from January ‘79 to April ‘85.  I then spent 21 months at the Hoverport and moved back to Eastern Docks, but Exports this time, from January ‘87 to July ‘90 when I made the fatal mistake of getting promoted and banished to VAT-World, from which I was ultimately ejected in October ‘16.  It’s quite possible that I once worked with your dad and/or some of your older colleagues at Border Force in Dover.

St Margaret’s is very pleasant, but in some ways even sleepier now than when we moved there in 1967: most of the shops and pubs that I knew are changed beyond recognition (the Carriers Arms and Hope Inn for instance) or gone altogether.  I still have family in the area and they report that the village is getting more and more developed but last time I was there a few years ago I could still find some of my childhood haunts.

The walk (or ride) along Kingsdown Road to Kingsdown (where else?) could be a very pleasant “waste of an afternoon” in the summer with wheat fields or sheep pastures either side and a welcome beer at the Zealand Arms at the end of it: traipsing back, uphill almost all the way to St Maggie’s on a really hot afternoon maybe not so.  I didn’t have a mountain bike then and Kingsdown Road was, and probably still is, little more than a stony, rutted farm track.

• 5 months later...
On 11/01/2019 at 13:18, jenko said:

Hi Jade welcome to the mad house.

If you are interested in a modelling club there are 2 in your area.

Shepway Military Modelling Society. They hang out Hawkinge way.

And my lot East Kent Scale Modellers who are based at Manston.

If you want more info PM me.

Cheers

Dick

Shepway MMS meet in Hythe in the Victory pub..

Ian.