This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Sign in to follow this  
Kalasinar

Greetings from Dover, UK

Hi there, thanks for the add. My name is Jade and I've been browsing this very helpful site since last year when I quite unexpectedly took up building some Airfix Spitfires. Got a bit addictive so I've decided to continue making models.

I'm a law enforcement officer by day/night and make ceramic musical instruments in my spare time. I decided last year that winter is too cold for making instruments in the workshop, but I can sit in the warmth of my own home making models instead. Currently working on my third model build, a Dambuster Lancaster.

I love seeing the models posted on here by all you talented folk, and I look forward to seeing more.

All the best,

Jade

Welcome Jade! Always nice to see another female modeller join the fun. :like:

Hi Jade welcome to the mad house.

If you are interested in a modelling club there are 2 in your area.

Shepway Military Modelling Society. They hang out Hawkinge way.

And my lot East Kent Scale Modellers who are based at Manston.

If you want more info PM me.

Cheers

Dick

Edited by jenko
spelling.......again!!!

Hello Jade ... :welcome: to Britmodeller from the USA. Please ask if you need help ? If i dont have an answer, i will at least try and point you in the best direction. 

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle

Hello Jade. Look forward to seeing some of your models. Nice to see another lady modeller - we do see an increasing number at shows about the UK.

I originated in Eastry but lived in Dover (River) for many years before my exile to the Midlands. Still visit from time to time - miss the sea!

I have been a member here for a few years and you will not be disappointed - great forum!

Cheers

Malcolm

Thanks so much everyone for the warm welcome. I've lurked here for too long - I should have joined ages ago!

I find myself lucky to be based where I am due to the proximity of the Hornby Visitor's Centre in Thanet. I've made a few trips over there on the motorbike for supplies. I do feel a bit of an oddity sometimes as I guess not many women get into this sort of thing?

@ Jenko: Thanks for the info, I'll have a look into both clubs, shiftwork permitting. I'm over Folkestone way a lot for work, but then Manston isn't far for me either. It would be nice to get to know some folks and learn more.

@Corsairfoxforuncle: Thankyou for your kindness, I am still very new to this and have been absolutely blown away by the detail put into models on this forum. Some very talented people here and it's good to know the community is a supportive one.

@Baldy: Ah Eastry is a nice place, River too for that matter. I have a lot of fond childhood memories at Kearsney Abbey. As always though, the best thing about Dover is the castle, so magnificent on the cliffs. I'm a big history nut so I'm enamoured with the history there.

Hi Jade, welcome to the forum.  I lived in Dover (Tower Hamlets) for several years before moving to Bedford.  Prior to that I lived just up the coast from Dover at St. Margarets.  I spent eleven years working at Eastern Docks and the Hoverport for what then was H M Customs & Excise.

Kearsney Abbey grounds were beautiful and Dover Castle itself is very impressive; the audio tour was (is?) great, with a bloodthirsty-sounding narrator detailing the various grisly fates awaiting potential intruders.  Walks along the cliff tops watching the ferries was usually a pleasant experience, even on a grim winter’s day just watching the power of the sea against the cliffs and harbour walls.

There are a few women modellers around: we’ve even had, and I hope still have, some on here (Shellicool, of fairly recent arrivalsprings to mind) so you oughtn’t feel alone.  I’ve tried to get my daughter interested but she seems to enjoy the painting aspect more.  I hope you’ll post some of your work on here soon (I wish I could work out how to using an iPad) and, as others have said, if you want to know something just ask.  You’ll get umpteen-dozen different answers but at least you’ll get something.

Jade, hi from Warsaw, Poland. This forum is great group of people, I'm sure you will enjoy it!
BTW, I see you're interested in ocarinas - do you know this guy?

Grzegorz (English Gregory)

Edited by GrzeM