Airfix's new 1/48th Hunter F6 - notes and other things

Jon Kunac-Tabinor

5 minutes ago, Jon Kunac-Tabinor said:

One thing I've not mentioned is that the inner edges of the nose wheel bag have lugs to support the close/ wheels up option gear door. You can of course slice these off for a gear down version ( is this marked on the instructions? I'm away from home so have no access

No, it’s not.

54 minutes ago, Jon Kunac-Tabinor said:

One thing I've not mentioned is that the inner edges of the nose wheel bag have lugs to support the close/ wheels up option gear door. You can of course slice these off for a gear down version ( is this marked on the instructions? I'm away from home so have no access)

Before I came away for a long weekend, I'd  just finished adding kit stencils, and I'm exhausted!!  

Ive also added detail to gear doors insidest. Will post pics once they upload!

cheers

Jonners

Just finished the decals on mine as well, didn't think it would have so much stencil data! Not helped by the fact I didn't realise there was seperate stencil placement plans for each colour scheme.😣

• Like 1

20190215_132551.jpg

So, pretty gutted to say my Hunter build has turned into a bit of a disaster, somewhere between applying the Matt coat (Alclad) and trying oil weathering for the first time, small cracks have appeared on some of the upper surfaces.

Not sure if the gloss coat hadn't dried/cured properly before the Matt coat but it had been on for about a week. Or if it's a reaction with the Gunze paint, the lower surfaces in LAG are unaffected and were sprayed more recently.

I've had this before but thought that was down to spraying in cold temp. Tried to clean it up today, sanding areas back and cleaning off the remaining oil paints and the decals started coming off. So I'm done with it for now, it's a great kit and I'll buy another. Think I'll probably strip the paint of this one and use it as a doner kit when Ali releases his twin seat convertion.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Muzz said:

So, pretty gutted to say my Hunter build has turned into a bit of a disaster, ....

I have encountered this issue and I believe it is up to drying time and curing issues. 

The project looks far from a disaster to me and you're so close to the finish line!  Double up the ruined decals with some spares and finish the build to put up on a higher shelf so the crazed clear coats are not so conspicuous.  Really it looks lovely from where I sit, but I think it would still look good if we were on the same side of the Atlantic looking at it together in person!  Very nice looking indeed!  

Endeavor to persevere! 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Well looks like I found this thread just in time... I spent today applying the decals to my build of XG223 following the Xtradecal instructions, so when I found it was actually XG225 I was quick enough to be able to remove the "3"s on the rear fuselage and replace them with spare "5"s from elsewhere! I hadn't done the wing underside decals as yet so phew! I also stripped the yellow paint back off the canopies that had been painted last week and redid them according to photos in this thread and one that I found on t'interwebs showing a silver canopy and camp windscreen which I thought looked rather patchwork and interesting!

Thanks chaps, you saved my bacon!