Airfix's new 1/48th Hunter F6 - notes and other things

Jon Kunac-Tabinor

59 minutes ago, JosephLalor said:

Ouch! 54 Squadron machine?

Whatever the new Hunter kits' issues I think I'll be grabbing a couple of 6s and a 4. I imagine the latter will find favour with a certain MJ McEvoy.

It looks like a 45 Sqdn FGA9 to me.

John

On 15/01/2019 at 00:09, sloegin57 said:

I was involved (a bit) but I'll just leave this here for the aftermarket peeps to have a go at :-

"Scramble the Valletta !!"

Dennis

Ah, that'll buff out.... ¹

That looks like an 'I learned about flying from that.' article written all over it. Mid-air?

¹ In truth, if it's the incident I'm thinking of, it didn't... until HSA got their hands on it and rebuilt it for another customer.

Wow... still going psycho about this find here: :frantic:

On 18/01/2019 at 22:25, StephenMG said:

I wasn't able to sleep all night yesterday. Thought I might start haunting you guys for getting yer not used Airfix Hunter windshields; I just need two. It fits the Academy kit like a glove!

So nice that it certainly restores the look of the real aircraft in the Academy kit. Yeh, it does...

Something I totally forgot to tell you about this piccy here:

On 15/01/2019 at 00:09, sloegin57 said:

The nose of that Hunter looks like the nose of one of the she-ruggers I used to train after she received her first hand-off in a match. The poor Sheila was so vain that she would comb her hair when coming off the scrum. Guess rugby was so much for her.

And that's that.

Cheers,

Unc2

I’m at the painting stage with my build and doing an aircraft from TWU at RAF Brawdy in the 70’s, it has a yellow spine and the Xtradecal shows the yellow paint extending all the way to the front windscreen. I can’t find any pictures of the actual aircraft but found some with a similar scheme in red.

https://abpic.co.uk/pictures/view/1336656/

This is making me thing the yellow should stop at the rear of the canopy, looking to see if anyone can confirm this?

Muzz

12 hours ago, Muzz said:

I’m at the painting stage with my build and doing an aircraft from TWU at RAF Brawdy in the 70’s, it has a yellow spine and the Xtradecal shows the yellow paint extending all the way to the front windscreen. I can’t find any pictures of the actual aircraft but found some with a similar scheme in red.

https://abpic.co.uk/pictures/view/1336656/

This is making me thing the yellow should stop at the rear of the canopy, looking to see if anyone can confirm this?

Muzz

Hi @Muzz

can I assume that the sheet you are using is Xtradecal X48192, subject aircraft XG223 code 27 circa August 1979 ?

Dennis

10 minutes ago, guillaume320 said:

Just saw a picture of XG225 ‘27’ with the yellow spine in a magazine in WHSmith...

Canopy is normal camo, not yellow

G

This one ?.  As far as I can figure out, XG223, subject of the Xtradecal sheet, did not exist and was part of a "black out block" of serials for the 3rd production order for Hunter F.6's.  So it appears that Xtradecal not only got the colour scheme incorrect but the serial as well - unless they are doing "what if's" now !

hdCzCgG.jpg

Dennis

• Like 9

On 28/01/2019 at 23:27, sloegin57 said:

This one ?.  As far as I can figure out, XG223, subject of the Xtradecal sheet, did not exist and was part of a "black out block" of serials for the 3rd production order for Hunter F.6's.  So it appears that Xtradecal not only got the colour scheme incorrect but the serial as well - unless they are doing "what if's" now !

Dennis

There is a colour profile of 'XG223/27' on P.46 of the Neil Robinson/Jon Freeman Airfile book 'Hunter in RAF Service' so that might be the source of the Xtradecal item. In that profile, the canopy side rails and windscreen framing have the yellow carried over them.and is dated to 1979 too. Normally I'd consider anything from either of those guys very kosher.

I agree with Dennis that XG223 appears to have not been built (XG212-XG224 unbuilt ?? )

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sloegin57 said:

Hi @Muzz

can I assume that the sheet you are using is Xtradecal X48192, subject aircraft XG223 code 27 circa August 1979 ?

Dennis

Hi Dennis, yes that's the very one, XG223. Great pic thanks very much, also confirms outer pylons were LAG and not yellow.

Muzz

On 1/18/2019 at 7:28 PM, JosephLalor said:

Ouch! 54 Squadron machine?

Whatever the new Hunter kits' issues I think I'll be grabbing a couple of 6s and a 4. I imagine the latter will find favour with a certain MJ McEvoy.

The B/W photo of the of the Hunter with the crushed nose could also belong to 43 (Fighting Cocks)  Squadron as the background it could have been photo taken in either Aden / Libya  as 43 served in the desert.

Geoff Arnold   

6 minutes ago, Geoff Arnold said:

The B/W photo of the of the Hunter with the crushed nose could also belong to 43 (Fighting Cocks)  Squadron as the background it could have been photo taken in either Aden / Libya  as 43 served in the desert.

Geoff Arnold   

If you look closely you can see the bottom of 54's Lion on the white circle

On 28/01/2019 at 23:27, sloegin57 said:

Dennis

Not this picture but this very aircraft yes... The caption next to the picture said XG225 though but maybe they used the same source as Xtradecal? 🤔

7 hours ago, viscount806x said:

There is a colour profile of 'XG223/27' on P.46 of the Neil Robinson/Jon Freeman Airfile book 'Hunter in RAF Service' so that might be the source of the Xtradecal item. In that profile, the canopy side rails and windscreen framing have the yellow carried over them.and is dated to 1979 too. Normally I'd consider anything from either of those guys very kosher.

I agree with Dennis that XG223 appears to have not been built (XG212-XG224 unbuilt ?? )

As Jon does most of the decals for Xtradecal, I’d think there is a pretty good chance.

Further to the inaccurate Xtradecal sheet for the 48th Hunter is the error of the 66 squadron fuselage markings. They did what Revell did with the 1/72nd kit; the forward edge of the unit marking is depicted as being rounded at the front edge when it should be straight but vertical. I have some pics in a magazine (Military Aviation Review) that clearly show this. I di point this out to Hannants and sent them the images  but was told its too late and this was before the decals were released... unless they have been corrected as I have not seen them.

17 hours ago, Paul J said:

Further to the inaccurate Xtradecal sheet for the 48th Hunter is the error of the 66 squadron fuselage markings. They did what Revell did with the 1/72nd kit; the forward edge of the unit marking is depicted as being rounded at the front edge when it should be straight but vertical. I have some pics in a magazine (Military Aviation Review) that clearly show this. I di point this out to Hannants and sent them the images  but was told its too late and this was before the decals were released... unless they have been corrected as I have not seen them.

My sheet came with a small correction set of accurate 66 Sqn markings!!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, guillaume320 said:

My sheet came with a small correction set of accurate 66 Sqn markings!!!

Ah! Sounds like they listened then.   Thats good.

• Like 1

Heads up for anyone contemplating building the 63Sqn boss's aircraft from the Airfix F.6.  Bill Clark has found that some F.6s had the continuous wing leading edges, XE597 among them.  He's put up a photo of this aircraft on another forum, taken at a Battle of Britain commemoration at Heathrow in 1958 .

XE597

Edited by JosephLalor
  • Like 3

On 1/28/2019 at 2:19 PM, Dave Fleming said:

If you look closely you can see the bottom of 54's Lion on the white circle

Yes - I believe that it's the  aftermath of an air-to-air two 54 Sqn Hunters had over Libya in April 1967; one aircraft crashed (pilot ejected) and the other returned in somewhat 2nd hand condition to El Adem. If this is the aircraft I'm thinking of, HSA bought it, rebuilt it and sold it to the Indian Air Force.

Started assembling this kit at the weekend and going OOB with no rivit counting.. fit so far has been amazing, looks completcated in the instructions but everything so far has just fitted. Well pleased so far.

• Like 1

Mine arrived today. Very impressed with the way Airfix engineered the upper wing/ fuselage joint. Absolutely brilliant. Anyone else remember trying to jam the wings of the Academy kit into it’s fuselage. Airfix’s approach seems to be the only way to get a really good and prototypical appearance, given the prototype’s geometry at the wing root. Nice!

One thing I've not mentioned is that the inner edges of the nose wheel bag have lugs to support the close/ wheels up option gear door. You can of course slice these off for a gear down version ( is this marked on the instructions? I'm away from home so have no access)

Before I came away for a long weekend, I'd  just finished adding kit stencils, and I'm exhausted!!  

Ive also added detail to gear doors insidest. Will post pics once they upload!

cheers

Jonners