Airfix's new 1/48th Hunter F6 - notes and other things

Jon Kunac-Tabinor

My first 4 kits are on their way - All being well should get here in a couple of weeks. I'm assuming that a FGA.9 (and the foreign derivatives of this Mark) can be produced quite easily from the kit, given the 'pen nib' tail fairing is included ?. AFAIK modification work is limited to re-scribing the flaps when in the stowed position and adding 230 Gallon drop tanks and inner pylons from the Academy or Flightpath sets ?. If there's more I would be grateful for further guidance.

Cheers   

Worth noting that amongst the colourful F.6s on Xtradecal sheets 48189, 191, and 192, there are several options that have been fitted with the parachute pack fairing (including red and yellow spined TWU and Grey/red A&AEE aircraft), so this box includes all you need for one of those, even if a conversion to an FGA.9 is a bit more involved than just using the alternative rear end...

best,

M.

PS: quite a few of the "Overseas operators" on 48203, including a rather nice Royal Rhodesian Air Force example in a very retro dark green/dark earth over sky, also need the parachute pack fairing

Edited by cmatthewbacon

With regards to the new Xtradecal sheets, I think I've identified an inaccuracy with Xtradecal X48191 paint guide.  More specifically  the top (and bottom) view of XE587 in A&AEE scheme.

Compare the paint guide with this picture. The red area around the wing tip follows a different pattern. 

G

With regard to the upcoming F4/F5 , it should  be noted that the F5 (and F2) were Sapphire engined, and as such have a very different layout of vents and louvres in the mid fuselage area. As I can't foresee Airfix accommodating these changes, hopefully there will be some aftermarket inserts to make the appropriate corrections

I would like, if I may, to ask someone who had both the new Airfix and Academy kits to please check whether the Airfix spare windshield fits the Academy kit alright.

It's about a dream I had last night, in which the Airfix windshield fitted the Academy kit like a glove. Mattress had kinda wet spot down there. :undecided:

Cheers,

Unc2

4 hours ago, cmatthewbacon said:

PS: quite a few of the "Overseas operators" on 48203, including a rather nice Royal Rhodesian Air Force example in a very retro dark green/dark earth over sky, also need the parachute pack fairing

@Dave Fleming pointed out, here possibly, that the "Sky"  undersides are cobblers,  possibly grubby HSS.   Xtradecal far to frequently make these stuff ups.

9 minutes ago, Uncle Uncool said:

to ask someone who had both the new Airfix and Academy kits to please check whether the Airfix spare windshield fits the Academy kit alright.

when I saw the parts layout i wondered the exact same thing....  also the entire canopy, as the Academy is wrong.

It certainly beats the Academy in shape and construction. Just a few odd details already mentioned plus the undercarriage doors don't feature any retraction oleos or linkages. Academy's was more detailed although they got some of it wrong still. Nosewheel looks like it's off a pram. Also the gun troughs are no better than Academy's.

Edited by tarlucan
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

21 hours ago, tarlucan said:

It certainly beats the Academy in shape and construction. Just a few odd details already mentioned plus the undercarriage doors don't feature any retraction oleos or linkages. Academy's was more detailed although they got some of it wrong still. Nosewheel looks like it's off a pram. Also the gun troughs are no better than Academy's.

Agreed. The nosewheel is incomprehensible. I'll be using a ResKit wheel set when I build mine.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, tarlucan said:

This follows a pattern with Airfix kits.  For practically every new release the reviews read, "Lovely kit, could have been definitive in the scale - but whatever were they thinking of when they did x [insert error or omission of your choice]." Perhaps they are taking a lead from Turkish carpet weavers who allegedly introduce a deliberate error into every carpet because only God is perfect.

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

On ‎1‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 7:26 PM, Troy Smith said:

when I saw the parts layout i wondered the exact same thing....  also the entire canopy, as the Academy is wrong.

Why, Troy! :worthy: How's it going, my good mate?

I'm concerned about the windshield the most, especially that curve on the base of it which is so charactreristic on the real aircraft that I see present on the new Airfix kit, which is totally absent on the Academy one. 

Cheers, bruh. :cheers:

Unc2

• Like 1

Can anyone tell me when the high speed silver underside gave way to the light aircraft grey? I assume the silver finish weathered into a sort light grey appearance as it's quite difficult to tell the two colours apart even on colour photos.

I also note that Airfix call out aluminium for the colour of the intake trunking but it would appear to have been more a dirty dark grey.

43 minutes ago, Muzz said:

Can anyone tell me when the high speed silver underside gave way to the light aircraft grey? I assume the silver finish weathered into a sort light grey appearance as it's quite difficult to tell the two colours apart even on colour photos.

I also note that Airfix call out aluminium for the colour of the intake trunking but it would appear to have been more a dirty dark grey.

LACG was introduced in 1966, but it took several years for it to become (almost) universal, It was chosen as the colour with the closest reflectance to HSS that was available in polyurethane, hence why they are difficult to tell part sometimes

Edited by Dave Fleming
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Muzz said:

Airfix are correct in suggesting aluminium for the intake trunking. Some later aircraft (e.g. FGA.9, FR.10, GA.11, PR.11) had the area was covered with a flexible rubber coating (which was an off-white colour) but certainly stick with aluminium for the F.6.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, StephenMG said:

Airfix are correct in suggesting aluminium for the intake trunking. Some later aircraft (e.g. FGA.9, FR.10, GA.11, PR.11) had the area was covered with a flexible rubber coating (which was an off-white colour) but certainly stick with aluminium for the F.6.

That explains it, I've been down a couple of intakes, a GA.11 which had an off natural metal finish, and an F.58 which had an off white sheen finish.

Re the nosewheel, this does seem to be typical of recent Airfix releases for me and is kind off a let down on an otherwise decent package.  I'm of the opinion that they are still not quite as good as their standout Javelin and Lightning kits, though the Victor seems as good as any kit of it can be.

I wonder if there is a disconnect between the research development teams,and the production end of things?  Or do some items just get simply overlooked?

Also could the area of manufacture be a factor, the Victor being an all British production kit?

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 1

On 1/13/2019 at 10:15 PM, Uncle Uncool said:

I would like, if I may, to ask someone who had both the new Airfix and Academy kits to please check whether the Airfix spare windshield fits the Academy kit alright.

Not sure if this helps but I've taken a couple of quick pics. This is a part-built Academy Hunter (an FR.10 conversion that I couldn't be bothered to finish!) with the Airfix canopy sitting on it. It fits surprising well with no real gaps at all. The only problem is the oversized spine of the Academy kit. If that can be slimmed down to suit the Airfix canopy then it'll fit fine and will be a huge improvement on the Academy version. Bear in mind that the canopy is sitting about 3mm too far forward in these photos as the rear of the canopy should normally overlap the spine.

Airfix-canopy-Academy-1.jpg

Airfix-canopy-Academy-2.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

:analintruder:  Thanks a LOT, Stephen! :frantic:

That's what I thought about the Airfix windshield; it can be made to fit very nice.

Boss is around the office, so I've got to go.

Thanks a helluva lot, my mate!

Cheers,

Unc2

Edith Piaf:

Boss is away for the weekend. What I was telling ye; the new Airfix windshiled can made to fit the Academy kit by fitting it a little bit aft (just less than one milimetre, methinks).   

Edited by Uncle Uncool

A few more notes on the Airfix kit.  In no particular order.

The port aileron needs the trim tab scribing, and both need a couple of 'panel' lines adding. Both need the trailing edge tip "flair" added
I've converted my wings to dog-toothless, and I have to admit I have a few reservations about the wingtip shape - though until I make one without the finessed modelling skill butchery, I will reserve from further conversation - though id be interested to hear anyone else's thoughts.

I had a bit of warping on the top wing trailing edge - the area above the flap bays. It's a sod to fix. if I encounter it on kit No2 I'll be tempted to glue the flaps into the top wing first - so they help straight then warp.

The top wing part fits really well - though I found that the internal forward edge of the fuselage section benefits from a plastic card shim to raise it "ever so" slightly ( and I mean "ever so", ever so. Gnats whisker style)  - this gives an almost spot on flush fit with the fuselage

I also found that if you push fit the top wing - then apply the landing gear bay edging- gluing only to the top wing underside rather than the fuselage, you can then apply the lower wing pieces, and if you glue and tape or clamp of hold or train a crab to grab the leading edge join right by the intakes to pull it together - you will pull the top wing intake sections perfectly into alignment on the fuselage - requiring only a wee brushette of liquid adhesive to glue. The rear join of the top wing section can be capillaried with liquid glue after wards.

Shellcase ejection ports - drill out before fitting- it looks great.

Sabrinas - I drilled the holes exactly as per the instructions - but then found that the sabrinas would foul the case ejection ports - so i remove the location lugs, filled the holes and positioned them so they didn't- and please note on the actual sabrinas there was a small cut out for the foremost case shute - so they should be very snug to the them- but there's snug, and there's restraining order / #MeToo snug!

Airbrake - the front fairing insert fits really well. The airbrake edges need a clean up and the hinge arms need a bit of a sand to get them to locate- and even then they need some "Glaswegian" persuasion.

The clear sprue runner in the kit is the perfect diameter to make a conical bulb fairing for the rear of the fin bullet. Airfix didnt provide this part because they want you to not neglect your modelling skills: See they think of everything. :)

Finally - though its all painted now - here's what I did with the cockpit (p.s. I made some of it up - because I could) - because  lets face it under all that black you can really see it! :)

yc3I5ID.jpg

ORpnOWK.jpg

E4QtsYd.jpg

cheers

Jonners

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

On 15/01/2019 at 00:09, sloegin57 said:

I was involved (a bit) but I'll just leave this here for the aftermarket peeps to have a go at :-

"Scramble the Valletta !!"

Dennis

Ouch! 54 Squadron machine?

Whatever the new Hunter kits' issues I think I'll be grabbing a couple of 6s and a 4. I imagine the latter will find favour with a certain MJ McEvoy.