Airfix E-8 J-Stars

Hi, guys. Your resident colonial is back to the modeling bench with a Airfix AWACS kit and Flightpath J-Stars conversion set. I figure it just makes the cut at the end of the cold war era.

file.php?id=7978

This shot turned out fuzzy. I was learning a new camera. But it tells the tale of disaster trying to trap the blades in the nacelle halves.

file.php?id=7979 

Then I got the bright idea of using a dowel to insert the blades after assembling the halves.

file.php?id=7980

All in all, it turned out better than I'd hoped. The plan is to do this as a memorial for my buddy Charlie Johnson who passed away a few years ago. He built over 50 of these to give to the crew and pilots of these aircraft that fly out of my place of work, Robins AFB GA..

file.php?id=7533

file.php?id=7532

Here's the goal set by Charlie. a pic of one of his..

Hope you like it and that I get to post updates soon.

Dave

file.php?id=7976

A bit of patting myself on the back but I've seen guys take a pass on the  PE fan blades as too much trouble when doing this conversion.

file.php?id=7977

Edited by Uberdave1
  • Like 1

Hi Dave, welcome to the forum and nice to see another JSTARS build.

The engines look great. I have a stalled build going as well. though I did not use the PE on the engines though I think I should have!

Here is my build thread.

I realised that the supplied antennas are oversized, I have used them but added a few more smaller ones using reference pictures.

Good luck with the rest of the build! :popcorn:

5 hours ago, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

Hi Dave, welcome to the forum and nice to see another JSTARS build.

The engines look great. I have a stalled build going as well. though I did not use the PE on the engines though I think I should have!

Here is my build thread.

I realised that the supplied antennas are oversized, I have used them but added a few more smaller ones using reference pictures.

Good luck with the rest of the build! :popcorn:

I'll have to check out those antennas...

Edited by Uberdave1
more to say
  • Like 1

Okay. seems like I'm not used to this forum. Wanted to add that you re-etching is well done. I have a tremble that won't allow me to follow suit. Also I had tried to post a pic of one of Charlie's planes but, for some reason it disappeared, so I'll try it now. Charlie never use the kit antennas so it may give a clue about size...file.php?id=7981

• Like 1