How to "rescue" sanded off panel lines?

WildeSau75

Hi guys,

I am building the 1/72 Academy Harvard IIb and used some Mr. Surfacer to close some seams which I then sanded. Unfortunately I sanded some panel lines away and now look for the best way to rebuild them.

Any tips?

Regards,

Michael

I assume they must be the raised kind if you've sanded them off? When I used to build aircraft I simply used to apply some stretched sprue which I made the same diameter of the original line then glue it into place with liquid cement used sparingly..

Are these engraved panel lines? If so, various plastic scribers are available, or, you could just use a knife/scalpel blade or a pin in a pin vise. The engraver I use for straight or slightly curved lines has a hook tip, so it actually removes a thin strand of plastic from the surface to create a "trench"; repeated applications will deepen it. I do also a pin in a pin vise when I'm using an engraving template because it's easier to scribe curved lines, like a round panel or such.

If they're raised lines, you can use a knife blade to score the surface. That scoring action will displace plastic to the side to form a ridge.

HTH

-- 

dnl

Edited by dnl42

4 minutes ago, dnl42 said:

Are these engraved panel lines? If so, various plastic scribers are available, or, you could just use a knife/scalpel blade or a pin in a pin vise. The engraver I use for straight or slightly curved lines has a hook tip, so it actually removes a thin strand of plastic from the surface to create a "trench"; repeated applications will deepen it. I do also a pin in a pin vise when I'm using an engraving template because it's easier to scribe curved lines, like a round panel or such.

If they're raised lines, you can use a knife blade to score the surface. That scoring action will displace plastic to the side to form a ridge.

HTH

-- 

dnl

Thanks a lot - yes, I mean engraved panel lines. I tried with a knife but always slipped off on uneven areas. Which tool would you recommend for rather thin lines? Not sure I understand what a pin in a pin vise is....

Cheers,

Michael

11 minutes ago, Steve Noble said:

I assume they must be the raised kind if you've sanded them off? When I used to build aircraft I simply used to apply some stretched sprue which I made the same diameter of the original line then glue it into place with liquid cement used sparingly..

Thanks mate - the are engraved. When sanding off the Mr. Surfacer part of them came off. dnl42's reply should do it I guess. Again, thanks.

Cheers,

Michael

You need some sort of template or edge to guide the scriber. When using a metal scribing template, like this one, I tape the template to the model to prevent slipping. You could use any thin metal strip for this purpose if you're doing a straight line. In the US, we can get "Dymo" tape for making "embossed" labels. This tape will adhere quite nicely to the model and provides a good edge for this type of work.

13 minutes ago, WildeSau75 said:

Thanks a lot - yes, I mean engraved panel lines. I tried with a knife but always slipped off on uneven areas. Which tool would you recommend for rather thin lines? Not sure I understand what a pin in a pin vise is....

Cheers,

Michael

Michael,

This is one form of pin vice

T130911.jpg

In some cases to get a straight line you need a guide to scribe against, either a flexible ruler or run thick tape (like electrical) along the line you need to rescribe.

You could also check youtube for rescibing technique videos.

• Like 1

The Dymo tape suggestion in post 6 above is the method I always use, but stick the tape onto a similar length of Tamiya tape [or similar] as the Dymo tape, I have  found, often leaves a more sticky residue than does  the Tamiya tape.

This provides  a firm edge against which to scribe.

Placed carefully against the panel line, and using a scriber as described above, a clean panel line is [generally] the result.

Good luck !

Rog

12 minutes ago, dnl42 said:

As for tools, you could use these tools from RB Productions. He's got some great tools on his site.

A pin in a pin vise is a pin of some sort chucked in a small hand-held drill handle, like this

pin-pinvise.jpg

thanks mate - will order one from there.

Cheers,

Michael

3 minutes ago, roginoz said:

The Dymo tape suggestion in post 6 above is the method I always use, but stick the tape onto a similar length of Tamiya tape [or similar] as the Dymo tape, I have  found, often leaves a more sticky residue than does  the Tamiya tape.

This provides  a firm edge against which to scribe.

Placed carefully against the panel line, and using a scriber as described above, a clean panel line is [generally] the result.

Good luck !

Rog

Thanks mate - good hint. Have to see where I can get the tape from.

Cheers,

Michael

1 minute ago, rayprit said:

A picture is worth a thousand words...…………..try this:

True! Thanks mate - appreciated. Although the colleagues did a good job in explaining it.

Cheers,

Michael

20 minutes ago, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

Michael,

This is one form of pin vice

T130911.jpg

In some cases to get a straight line you need a guide to scribe against, either a flexible ruler or run thick tape (like electrical) along the line you need to rescribe.

You could also check youtube for rescibing technique videos.

Ah - now I get it. Flexible ruler is good idea. Will order one of these tools and give it a try with a flexible ruler. If it's not working, I try to get hold of the Dymo tape

I am again and again positively surprised how quick one gets very useful replies from friendly and helpful modelers all over the world. Indeed a great place for modelers BM is!

Thanks again to all of you - hope to be able to post some picks of my build with perfect panel lines in the near future.

Cheers,

Michael

6 minutes ago, Steve Noble said:

Ah, so for engraved lines I always use my Olfa P cutter. It actually removes a very thin sliver of plastic rather than just pushing the plastic aside like a needle in a pin vice does. Most useful tool for redoing panel lines I can think of..

Thanks mate - will check it out.

Cheers,

Michael