Clearing the "Shelf of Doom"

Well here's a thing...I am working on all my mojo killing demons whilst missus is away in the UK , one of them is this Heritage Models resin 1/48;
15949901739_98492a6bd6_o.jpg..pictured in 2014!
I bought the kit after seeing Grosvenor House fly at Old Warden in 2013, when I ordered the kit I asked for 2 sets of decals one for Grosvenor House and the other for Black Magic. I built the errr,  let's just say "challenging" kit, despaired of ever making a more reasonable job of it and eventually I decided I would do no more "fine finishing" accept the model as it was and do the red G.H. , I got this far when I could not find the Grosvenor House decals! I searched high and I searched low. I dont know how many times I went through my decal collection since then but could never find them. So in disgust the model went to the shelf of doom.. last week I pulled the bugger out wiped the paint off with GP thinners:
39705951863_f05ffb0d10_o.jpg
and worked again on the model filling the pinholes I had missed, repriming resanding several times, Then today I sprayed her Black and prepared to apply the Black Magic decals, but first I went into my decal collection to find some black lines I could use for the canopy framing.. well BlowMe Down! I found the Grosvenor House decals there and then! I did not for one second consider redoing it in red! you cannot make this crap up!

Black Magic and the long lost Grosvenor House decals pictured:
45773677965_bcf807a688_o.jpg
32814260068_3fae2a3cda_b.jpg

another long term resident of the Shelf of doom is a 1/48 Magna Models Dove / Devon, I started this one about 4 years ago and pulled it out a few weeks back and set to work on it. So when the time came to think about putting the wings on I noticed something awry:

44775937935_c7d78ff925_b.jpg

see the problem?

Well, I was not gonna let this abomination beat me, the bloody thing kept me away from the bench long enough!  So, I manned up and grappled with the demon

I sawed off the right wing root., built up and reshaped the fuselage bottom with apoxie sculpt. filled 268 x 10 cubed friggin pin holes sanded primed filled etc ad infinitum.

I took the port wing to be true and glued that on, then worked to attach the right wing symmetrical to the left, twice! I had to amputate my first effort and try again! now the dove almost square in every aspect... or more accurately it is slightly wonky in every aspect, one engine is slightly forward of the other one wing root is slightly different to the other, I primed to show the flaws and several pinholes appeared thankfully fewer than a thousand. I was gonna do it as an MMA Charter VH-MMN "Nullagine" but it just will not wear silver (that shows every flaw) well so I am undecided what to do with it.
46618311852_9c73b208fc_o.jpg
39705951693_650c362b3c_o.jpg
46618312152_ac768f1368_o.jpg

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Marklo said:

According to Wikipedia, Airco was amalgamated with Birmingham Small Arms Company who placed Airco's assets in liquidation.  Geoffrey De Havilland bought some of those assets with the help of Airco's founder, George Thomas, and used them to found De Havilland.

• Thanks 1

So! I am beginning to think the Dove may be raising the white flag!
31780491917_ef788ca2e1_b.jpg
39756950293_53ee36112e_b.jpg

It won't be great but it wont be abominable either! I picked a nice simple attractive scheme and designed the decals for it:
39756950093_160697fc25_b.jpg

I am waiting for the Tamiya silver leaf to harden up then use the dremel polishing bit to  variegate the silver finish. Then I will have to wipe down the silver residue, wash my hands hit it with "future" wash my hands again and then take the masking tape off then wash my hands again before touching the white undercoat on the fuselage top side, that silver residue leaves fingerprints like you wouldnt believe!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, stevehnz said:

Doing good there Wally, it's great to see someone get so much out of their hobby, even if it is only ulcers. :D;)

Steve.

No ulcer steve but this and other projects were severely sapping the modelling mojo.. keeping me away from the bench

played a bit more with the decals
32848062668_a697894382_b.jpg

• Like 2