Video of RAF Hercules transport plane landing on Saunton Sands

JohnT

News article and video on BBC website

here

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-devon-46824931/saunton-sands-hosts-giant-hercules-transport-plane-landing

I suppose to the lay folks it is a "giant" aeroplane.

Three small boys complaining about sand in their eyes and ice cream, as well as ruining their sand castles

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Mike said:

Cool video.  When was it done?  The picture quality implies recently, but I'm sure I've seen a vid of a Herk landing on a beach before. :hmmm:

Mike the BBC website looks like it was recent but then again they have a habit of doing old news on a quiet news day

Hang on - Typical BBC getting it wrong - its not an RAF exercise on a beach in Devon but the new Ryanair daily flight to Exeter City Airport  :wicked:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Nikolay Polyakov said:

About a ten years ago or so. Notice how short the take-off distance...

Nikolay

one of lifes coincidences is that I have just started the first few pages of a new book which refers to this very trial on the USS Forrestal.  The book is by Ewen Southby-Tailyour  and titled Exocet Falklands - the untold story of special forces operations.  He refers to this trial in the prologue and mentions that some thought was applied to getting a an RAF C-130 on HMS Hermes and perhaps also Invincible.   That would have been a very tight fit

A400M on Queen Elizabeth or POW anyone?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, JohnT said:

one of lifes coincidences is that I have just started the first few pages of a new book which refers to this very trial on the USS Forrestal.

That’s true!

12 minutes ago, JohnT said:

He refers to this trial in the prologue and mentions that some thought was applied to getting a an RAF C-130 on HMS Hermes and perhaps also Invincible.

It’s very interesting, and very risky...

14 minutes ago, JohnT said:

That would have been a very tight fit

Sure, the HMS Hermes is about a 100 meters shorter than the USS Forrestal...

Also the Fulton Recovery System is a very interesting thing.

Thanks! 🤝

• 3 weeks later...
On 29/01/2019 at 18:50, junglierating said:

Invincible...really beam around ooh 36 m and Hercules wing span 40m....no angled deck The island in the way....only one result out of that evaluation...🤔

I suppose the RAF could have got it on board with a crabbed approach - :whistle:

From reading some of the schemes being floated without intel etc that was one of the saner ideas being touted.  Thankfully either sanity or events intervened to prevent some schemes ever progressing beyond the lunatic  planning phase.

• Haha 1

On 1/10/2019 at 2:23 PM, Mike said:

Cool video.  When was it done?  The picture quality implies recently, but I'm sure I've seen a vid of a Herk landing on a beach before. :hmmm:

Hi chaps, just to clarify the Herc landed on Saunton beach on Jan 9 2019 - a mate was there to see it land and got some photos that he shared on facebook.

Hope that clears it up!

Cheers

Simon

• Thanks 1