Mosquito NF 36

franky boy

Hello chaps

Im planning on building a Mosquito NF36 in 1/48 scale for the upcoming NATO/Warsaw Pact 50's GB.

Im going to use the Tamiya NF xiii/xvii kit as the base. I have the very nice Pangolin Models two stage merlin engines which covers that base. As far as I can make out the other main external differences for an NF 36 are the shrouded exhaust covers with the gills and the fighter canopy with the bulge on the starboard side only.

A bit of internet research leads me to believe that only Paragon Designs produced resin exhausts of the correct type. Another source maybe the Airfix NF 30 kit but I'm loathed to pay around £25 on eBay for one of these purely for the exhausts. Does anyone know something that I don't on this one?

And also re the canopy as above I think only Paragon produced a vac form one of the correct type unless there is aldo one in the Airfix kit.

I know there are one or two aerials and blisters here and there but they'll be easy enough to scratch.

Any info greatly received. 

Thanks

James

• Like 1

1 hour ago, franky boy said:

Another source maybe the Airfix NF 30 kit but I'm loathed to pay around £25 on eBay for one of these purely for the exhausts. Does anyone know something that I don't on this one?

the Airfix NF30 kit comes with the complete FB.VI plus the bits to the NF.30,   so if some did a, say a NF.XIX, (which you could)  they would have the bits leftover, I'd suggest putting  up a wanted ad

note the kit come with two types of exhaust shrouds

1900_1_afx07111_6.jpg

the Airfix PR.XVI kit comes with various canopy bits

clear.jpg&key=c9f1411f990f9ed4f7ba05e0fe

this is the Paragon, again I'd try in the wanted section

,  1170555-19350-49-720.jpg

you might be able to get an Airfix side blister to fit

Falcon do a canopy with both sides bulged

http://falconmodels.co.nz/clearvax/set31.html

7. De Havilland Mosquito FBVI (late). Suggested kit: Airfix Mosquito FBVI.

This canopy represents the late type with side bulges, as fitted to most late production Mosquito fighters. 31-7.gif

but that would be a pig to fit a flat side panel too.

Anyway, might give you some possibilities?

HTH

• Like 2

• 2 years later...

An old thread but the mods do say use the search function! Apologies for jumping on someone else’s thread though.

Regarding the NF36, I’m hoping at some point to make one from the 1/48 Airfix NF30 kit, what would that involve changing? Much scratch building needed or is it pretty straightforward?

Need to source postwar RAF decals for it too. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Lord Riot said:

An old thread but the mods do say use the search function! Apologies for jumping on someone else’s thread though.

Regarding the NF36, I’m hoping at some point to make one from the 1/48 Airfix NF30 kit, what would that involve changing? Much scratch building needed or is it pretty straightforward?

Need to source postwar RAF decals for it too. 

IIRC the NF36 is externally basically the same.  Umm, @The wooksta V2.0 would be a good chap to ask.

EDIT - 

http://www.mossie.org/Mosquito_var.htm

"NF.36 Fighter. High powered development of the NF.30 with Merlin 113 engines and American A.I. MK 10 radar. Armament consisted of four 20mm cannon."

There maybe some minor external changes,  but the main ones are internal.

there are post war decals, aeromaster and Freight dog.  I'd need to dig out the details.

EDIT - 

Freightdog

https://www.freightdogmodels.co.uk/product/freightdog-1-48-post-war-raf-mosquito-decals/

has two NF.36's  , and is available.  Freightdog are good, and probably has info on the instructions of detail changes, 

@Colin @ Freightdog Models would be the man to ask.

This is the Aeromaster sheet i was thinking of, but B.35s, and OOP...

https://www.ultracast.ca/AeroMaster-48-303-Post-War-Mosquitos-p/am48303.htm

Edited by Troy Smith
additions
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you Troy, that’s excellent info and those Freightdog decals are just the job! 

Hopefully won’t need too much external modification in that case, always good news.

One area I’m still not sure of, from some photos it looks like the top part of that bull nose is glazed, but on others it appears solid. Anyone know if this varied between individual airframes or was a mod added later/earlier in the service life?

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Lord Riot said:

Thank you Troy, that’s excellent info and those Freightdog decals are just the job! 

Hopefully won’t need too much external modification in that case, always good news.

One area I’m still not sure of, from some photos it looks like the top part of that bull nose is glazed, but on others it appears solid. Anyone know if this varied between individual airframes or was a mod added later/earlier in the service life?

I think they could be left as clear Perspex or painted over. It varies from aircraft to aircraft. 

I still haven’t got around to building my one yet and started this thread ages ago. The trickiest bit in my mind was going to be finding or cobbling together a canopy with the bulge only on the radio operators side. I’m going to use the Taimya NFXIII/XVII kit with Pangolin resin engines and the Freightdog decals linked above by Troy. 

Good luck with yours. 

James 

• Thanks 1