Harrier (EAV-8B Harrier II Plus that is) to fly at RIAT 2019

JohnT

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/10/2019 at 12:27 PM, JohnT said:

RIAT saying today that the Spanish Navy Harrier will fly at RIAT in July.  Might be one pf the last chances to see one over here.  

Hi mate

The display is a 2 aircraft demo. Crew are yet to begin training. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Oberleutnant said:

Nice!

Saw one of them at Farnborough last year and was a gem in what was otherwise a very disappointing airshow.

Going to RIAT for the first time this year I think.

I shocked how poor Farnborough was after all its history.

Sadly that is not the fault of the organisation. Farnborough is a huge built up area that is growing very fast. Regulations from the CAA have made it almost impossible to display aircraft to their full potential. Height limits were raised from 100ft to 800ft minimum. High speed manoeuvres raised to 1200ft and above. 

These regulations make displays rather risky, even more so than with the old pre Shoreham regs. So aircraft can no longer fly in a safe manner. 

20 hours ago, jet-mech said:

Sadly that is not the fault of the organisation. Farnborough is a huge built up area that is growing very fast. Regulations from the CAA have made it almost impossible to display aircraft to their full potential. Height limits were raised from 100ft to 800ft minimum. High speed manoeuvres raised to 1200ft and above. 

These regulations make displays rather risky, even more so than with the old pre Shoreham regs. So aircraft can no longer fly in a safe manner. 

Sorry to pick you up on your post, but aircraft can and are flown in a safe manner. More accurate to say that the safety limits for air displays restricts the manoeuvres and display heights to give as safe a margin as possible.

Edited by Sundowner14
.sp

2 hours ago, jet-mech said:

Even with that in mind the line up of aircraft was very poor.

Several planes went up twice to fill the display gaps, the BOBMF did one fly past it was just so poor.

100 year anniversary of the RAF and no recognition of that at all - no special or anything.

Retirement of the Tornado? No show. New F-35? No show. Even a Typhoon? No show.

A lot of the planes leave now before the display weekend.

The actual display of the Harrier and F-16 were excellent but that was it.

Still charging full whack.

You should see the scathing reviews from punters as well as formal reviewers.

The free Eastbourne Airshow last year had a better line up.

I won't be going again.

Worth a read if you fancy it:

http://www.airshows.co.uk/reports/uk/2018/farnborough-international-airshow/

23 hours ago, Oberleutnant said:

Even with that in mind the line up of aircraft was very poor.

Several planes went up twice to fill the display gaps, the BOBMF did one fly past it was just so poor.

100 year anniversary of the RAF and no recognition of that at all - no special or anything.

Retirement of the Tornado? No show. New F-35? No show. Even a Typhoon? No show.

A lot of the planes leave now before the display weekend.

The actual display of the Harrier and F-16 were excellent but that was it.

Still charging full whack.

You should see the scathing reviews from punters as well as formal reviewers.

The free Eastbourne Airshow last year had a better line up.

I won't be going again.

Worth a read if you fancy it:

http://www.airshows.co.uk/reports/uk/2018/farnborough-international-airshow/

You probably won't be going again anyway as the next may be the last and current plan is for no public days. Mon-Thurs only. Public days subject to participating nations. 

• Sad 1

9 minutes ago, jet-mech said:

You probably won't be going again anyway as the next may be the last and current plan is for no public days. Mon-Thurs only. Public days subject to participating nations. 

Really? That's a sad end to a once great show.

17 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

I agree with you on that. Growing up here in Chicago my friends and I always wanted to attend the Farnborough show. 

Well, fear not. Whilst I admit to a certain amount of bias, RIAT and has been for some time a far better all round Airshow. If you want to see a few aircraft, visit trade stands and get some free marketing material though, SBAC will do. But if Carlsberg did Airshows, they’d look at RIAT first, and I would recommend it to all.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

I agree with you on that. Growing up here in Chicago my friends and I always wanted to attend the Farnborough show. 

Man I love Chicago!

What a great city. Have a friend and his wife living out there for work and have visited.

Bit cold over there at the moment, mind.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Oberleutnant said:

Man I love Chicago!

So do I ... Bit tired of it though. I grew up 350 miles north of Chicago in Dairy farm & Logging country. Moved here as a kid and love the Architecture, People, and history. However i miss the slow easier pace of the north-woods. Holler if you're ever in the neighborhood, maybe we can meet.  

Dennis

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

So do I ... Bit tired of it though. I grew up 350 miles north of Chicago in Dairy farm & Logging country. Moved here as a kid and love the Architecture, People, and history. However i miss the slow easier pace of the north-woods. Holler if you're ever in the neighborhood, maybe we can meet.  

Dennis

Will do buddy, thank you.

I prefer the country life most of the time too!

Guy.

• Like 1