Tamiya 1/48 Sturmtiger

ScanmanDan

Just a very quick one to do over the holidays.  Tamiya 1/48 Sturmtiger straight from the box with only a few wire handles, Voyager Grills and the MP paper zimmerit.  Building took a few hours over two days.  I did leave each track section seperate to make painting easier.Sturmtiger%2002-XL.jpg

I then primered in purple to get a nice contrast going.

Sturmtiger%2005-XL.jpg

Then quickly on to the yellow, gloss and starting the weathering with pin washes.

Sturmtiger%2007-XL.jpg

Today was camo and more weathering.

Sturmtiger%2008-XL.jpg

Sturmtiger%2009-XL.jpg

I have just about got the hull top finished to where I like it, maybe some chalks?  I just need to get the rest of the kit to this finish before Sunday as I'm back to work on Monday. 

Sturmtiger%2010-XL.jpg

So far I'm pretty pleased wth the quick progress.  Every chance I'll get this done before I go back to work.  This is a great Tamiya kit to build, perfect fit and builds so smoothly.  

Thanks for looking in.

Edited by ScanmanDan
  • Like 7

Thank you all for your wonderful comments, glad you guys like it.

Progress, had a few hours this morning to putter around with the Sturmtiger here is where I'm at.

Sturmtiger%2011-XL.jpg

Sturmtiger%2013-XL.jpg

Sturmtiger%2014-XL.jpg

Still having fun and that's the main thing.  Need to work on the tail end and then on to the tracks.

Thanks for looking in.

Dan

• Like 4

Spent most of the day on the base.  Need to get ready for back to work so I'll have to finish the Sturmtiger weathering next week.

Sturmtiger%2023-XL.jpg

Sturmtiger%2024-XL.jpg

Sturmtiger%2025-XL.jpg

Just a concrete slab, but I want to use this base as a 'set' for taking photos.  

Thank for looking in.

Dan

• Like 6

Glad you like it.

The base is just a wooden painting panel bought from an art supply shop with a ridge of 2x4mm Evergreen styrene glued to make a dam for the 'concrete'.  A few coats of black spray paint from a rattle can were used to finish the base.  The hardest part was waiting for the black spray paint to dry.  Then a mix of coloured tile grout, acrylic paint and plaster of paris was poured in and screed to level with a steel ruler.  I did 'work' the top with both my finger and a metal straight edge to give a little surface finish.  Just before the plaster/grout mix totally set I lightly scribed the lines and set the lot out in the sun to totally dry.  Once dry I masked the base again and shoot a few coats of clear gloss from a rattle can to seal the finish for washes.  Washes of very thin Tamiya enamels thinned with Humbrol thinners were used to get a bit more variation to the overall colour. Once dry I used some more washes this time made with AK chalk setting solution and chalks to dirty up the place.  More setting solution was used to fix some scatter material and I cut some static grass tufts into thin slices for the weeds in the cracks.  A quick blast of Matt clear tied it all together.  (The grate and manhole are 1/35 scale from Miniart, hopefully they don't look out too of place.)  

All up started yesterday lunchtime and finished lunchtime today.  There is much more I can and will do but this is good enough for now.  A quick, fun project and innately scalable. IHTH Dan

Edited by ScanmanDan
  • Thanks 2

Thanks guys, not much happening this weekend as I was painting figures :) (those darn squirrels )

SA80A2AR - I believe that the holes around the muzzle were for extraction of the propellant gasses.  The muzzle flash from this thing must have been something to see.  That and the noise inside!

8 hours ago, ScanmanDan said:

I believe that the holes around the muzzle were for extraction of the propellant gasses.  The muzzle flash from this thing must have been something to see.  That and the noise inside!

thanks.  what is the breach doing?  its must be fairly visible