New Zealand grand tour...

Paul J

Only 22 days before I set off to New Zealand! Will be touring South Island first starting at Christchurch and ending in Auckland by end of Feb. A hop across to Sydney for a couple days before heading back home. So to all our NZ members any hints on visiting some of the main museums ?  I have allowed for at least four of them. Is Wanaka worth going to?  Wigram is one I would like to visit too. Omaka is on my list to do and MOTAT in Auckland. Was also thinking about Tauranga and / or Ardmore but I understand Ardmore is not open to the public :-(.  

Very much looking forward to being there  ( but not the long flights going and coming home on)!

• 3 weeks later...

Not long to go... Flying out Friday morning via a stopover in Singapore then on to Christchurch. Tour the South Island across to the North Island ending in Auckland for a few days, Then a hop across to Sydney for a couple more days before coming back via a very short stop and Changi again and then home.

• Like 1

Hi Paul J 

have just found this this and can offer some advice as I am highly familiar with the South Island and have a long-standing interest in Aviation. 

There are IMHO four must-see aviation museums in the SI ( I will not comment on the North island because I just don’t know)

they are:

RNZAF Wigram (Christchurch)

Ashburton (about 80km south of Christchurch)

Wanaka

Omaha (Blenheim)

Do not miss Ashburton! It’s not famous but I guarantee you will love it!

the RNZAF museum is oustanding - it’s free entry but pay for the behind the scenes tour there’s more in the ‘Behind’ than in the front!

Also I believe that there is a factory/ workshop in Otago that is fully committed to restoring Vintage DeHavilland aircraft. I have not been there myself but my father has and he said it was great. Sorry I have no futher details but if you do some research and contact them in advance I believe they might accept visitors.

Hope you have a great trip! 👍

Steve

31 minutes ago, Bandsaw Steve said:

factory/ workshop in Otago that is fully committed to restoring Vintage DeHavilland aircraft.

Sounds like Mandeville, between Lumsden & Gore, sorry can't offer up much more about it as I've not been there but its quite well know in NZ aviation circles.

This one

Steve.

Edited by stevehnz
  • Thanks 1

Hi Paul J

One more thing I just remembered; there’s a DeHavilland Mosquito under long-term restoration at Ferrymead Historic Park in Christchurch. You might have to do some research And / or make some phone calls but I would think that, for a small donation you could have a squid - they have a few other aircraft as well but the Mosquito is the star. 

If if you like trams, railway locomotives or Fire engines then Ferrymead is the place. They have world-class collections of each.

Steve

Thanks for the info guys . Ashburton could be a possibility but I see they are only open in the afternoon meaning I won't be able to call in there as by that time I should be at Lake Tekapo.  My trip will start in Christchurchand,  so Wigram will be a cert ,if poss, as I can call in on leaving CH on my way to Lake Tekapo and on to Queenstown so Wanaka is on my schedule. Is there much there???  We'll be heading to the West coast and on up to Greymouth train across back to Christchurch. Then to Kaikoura, then Blenheim so I can visit Omaka certainly. Going across to N.I and from Wellington up to Napier, Rotorua then Whitianga hoping to pop in to Tauranga on the way, Motat At Auckland is on my intinerary too. Will be in Auckalnd for about 3 days then across to Oz and a couple days in Sydney before heading back home from there.

Is RNZAF Woodbourne near Blenheim worth looking at? Is there any public viewing available??

Against me and my desire to visit as many as poss is time and the wife who is very reluctant to let me have much time looking at aeroplanes.so sadly my desire to include my aviation inerests are not on 'her' agenda  Scenery is her want and I told her there will be so much scenery seen from the car on route to our prebooked accommodations!  I have been studying routes, planning them and getting driving times and distances. So much to work around!!!

Re Ashburton, I have seen the website and it does look very tempting as does Wigram.

The one at Gore look brilliant. Even has the Tiger for real of the one I just completed in 1/72 as ZK-BFH But is quite a long way away from our planned route.  Will try for the Ferrymead one too.

Paul. re the Ashburton museum, it would be worth ringing them to see if you could go a bit early, we did this on a family South Island trip some years ago & they were very accommodating, Ashburton to Tekapo is not much more than a couple of hours & easy enough driving, so it may still be a possibilty & certainly worth it. Wanaka also a good place to while away a couple of hours, very much a something for everyone sort of place.

Steve.

If you can possibly fit it in, the Croydon Museum at Mandeville is well worth a visit. If you like between-the-wars de Havilland aircraft, it's heaven on a stick!

When do you plan to be in Sydney?

On 1/10/2019 at 12:37 AM, Paul J said:

... and MOTAT in Auckland. Was also thinking about Tauranga and / or Ardmore but I understand Ardmore is not open to the public :-(.  

Very much looking forward to being there  ( but not the long flights going and coming home on)!

Ardmore is an operational airfield with quite a lot happening behind the scenes in the hangars. Probably not a "destination" unless you have an appointment with someone.

I'd suggest Wigram in Chch, MOTAT in Auckland as well as the War Memorial museum in the Auckland domain. A very good history of NZ in general, with stunning views and also a Spitfire & Zero tucked away in there as well.

On 1/28/2019 at 12:40 AM, Paul J said:

... to Sydney for a couple more days before coming back via a very short stop and Changi again and then home.

The long flights are a bit of a curse, but necessary in this part of the world...

At Changi (superb airport!) please take your swimming attire and use their rooftop pool! The BEST way to relax, unwind, shower and feel refreshed for the next flight. It's brilliant and you can have a drinkypoos at the bar as well. Towels supplied in the minimal entry fee.

• Like 1

On 03/02/2019 at 01:32, Admiral Puff said:

If you can possibly fit it in, the Croydon Museum at Mandeville is well worth a visit. If you like between-the-wars de Havilland aircraft, it's heaven on a stick!

When do you plan to be in Sydney?

Sydney at end of the month for about three days. Not really long enough but my holiday allocation is used up for the year!

At lake Tekapo at moment. Managed Wigram RNZAF museum. Lovely collection.Also fitted on the tour to the workshop hangar where they are working on a Catalina and Vildebeeste!

Left it a bit late for Ashburton with much regret. Wanaka Is slotted in.  The journey will continue to th west coast and on up to Greymouth,train across back to Christchurch. Then up to Blenheim and call in at Omaka.  To be continued......

• Like 3

Hi Paul, no sure of your Sydney plans but some suggestions would be:

Australian National Maritime Museum

https://www.sea.museum/

They have a Wessex suspended from the ceiling but also some naval ships and a submarine you can tour plus an Endeavour replica. Located right in the city at Darling Harbour. 

Cockatoo Island

Once a busy ship building facility, now a fascinating heritage area with restored cranes, docks and convict buildings. A pretty ferry ride from Circular Quay or Barangaroo (near Darling Harbour).  

http://www.cockatooisland.gov.au/

RAN Heritage Centre, Garden Island 

A short ferry ride from Circular Quay. A small but interesting museum in a working naval base in a wonderful setting with great harbour views. 

http://www.navy.gov.au/ran-heritage-centre

Historical Aircraft Restoration Society (HARS) at Albion Park. 

https://hars.org.au/

You can catch a train every hour or so from Central Station to Albion Park rail and it’s then a short (10 minute) walk. It’s a 2-hr train ride but there’s some nice scenic sections along the coast. 

Fleet Air Arm Museum, Nowra

My favourite for aircraft but hard to get to without a car. You can catch a train to Bomaderry (3 hrs) but you’d then need a taxi to the museum as it’s 10 or so kilometres out of town. 

http://www.navy.gov.au/history/museums/fleet-air-arm-museum

Cheers, Andrew

• Like 2

Am at Kaikoura and going on a whale watch on the 15th Feb. Then up to Blenheim for two nights. Main reason is the Omaka museum and maybe some wine tasting.

Broke my camera after slipping in to a a rock pool . Saved the memory card but camera is u/s!!!!  Will be buying a new one in the above the mentioned town as a priority. Unwanted additional expense!! 

17th Feb will be the crossing to north island and a couple nights in Wellington before continuing north.

• Like 1

Shame that you won't make Wings over Wairarapa. We now have a B-52 overflying on the Saturday. If you're bored in Wellington and don't mind cars and bikes, there is a Vampire and a Tiger Moth  at the Southward  motor Museum in Paraparaumu -about an hour north by car, or on the train. Hundreds of cars though!

• Like 1

The whale watching was excellent! Saw a blue whale and two sperm whales plus a couple smaller specie albatross and petrol birds.

As I write I am In Blenheim for a couple nights and looking forward to my visit to omaka....

But not before I get myself a new camera in town. Beer has been good too!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Paul J said:

petrol birds.

What octane were they. ;) :D  I'm sure you meant petrels. They are quite a large family & you will find the ferry crossing Picton to Wellington can be rewarding for the bird life that follows behind the ships. Several species of Petrel can be seen, from the pigeon sized Cape Petrels to the large Mollymawk sized Giant Petrel & the slightly smaller Westland Petrel, the latter two are large dark brown birds. Enjoy Omaka. 

Edit, I think I'm mistaking the Cape Petrel with the Fluttering Shearwater which is a similarly coloured but smaller bird, The Cape Petrel is medium-large gull size.

Steve.

Edited by stevehnz

Hi all.

Am resting in Rotorua for the night after a long winding and at most times very picturesque route. Stopped at lake Taupo and watched some skydiving from the airfield there. They were using what looked like a much modified Fletcher FU-24.

Sadly getting ever closer to the end of the trip with 3nights at Whitianga on the Coromandel and then 3 nights in Auckland before leaving for Oz

Hi all.

Am resting in Rotorua for the night after a long winding and at most times very picturesque route. Stopped at lake Taupo and watched some skydiving from the airfield there. They were using what looked like a much modified Fletcher FU-24.

Sadly getting ever closer to the end of the trip with 3nights at Whitianga on the Coromandel and then 3 nights in Auckland before leaving for Oz. Bad news is storm ormma might hit us for the weekend. And then back to home.........I suppose.:-(