1:350 HMS Duncan Type 45 Destroyer

Jase

This is my build of Trumpeters type 45 kit 1:350 scale.  Having built the Airfix kit, which in my opinion is a bit of a dog due to how they designed the parts to fit together, or not, I was looking forward to building the more complex Trumpeter offering.

As Trumpeter kits go I have seen them do better, there is more sink then usual and some issues so far with positive fit too but on the whole ok.  the kit comes with a fair amount of etch much of it for surface detail such as grills and doors.  I will be adding to that with the Atlantic Models etch and a gras barrel for the main gun.

There is quite a bit of research material about on the net including a walk around video of HMS Duncan.  there was a resent documentary on the ship and that inspired this build.  HMS Duncan is the last of the Type 45s built and on leaving the hanger you will se painted on the internal door 'HMS Duncan Last and Best'

So on with the build which starts with fitting the deck, which is a nice snug fit.  The bulge at the bow is two parts that don't fit particularly well some filler needed on the joint and the joint with the hull.

32801148118_3199a0f6c0_b.jpg

The other lower hull fittings were aded with the exception of the screws with will be added after hull painting.  Just for comparison this is the difference in size net to my Type 42 destroyer

45761173955_17d974bdd7_b.jpg

The upper hull then receives some etch, all kit supplied for the hull.

31734418747_ceee7bb2a3_b.jpg

39711270953_633f9810d6_b.jpg

there is a very prominent raised line around the hull, I can find no evidence of this on any of the ships in this class so have sanded it away.

32801102258_ee7ec725bf_b.jpg

My first modification is the bollards on the rear deck.  They have been cast at the incorrect angle and should actually lean inward.  I carefully removed them with a chisel blade and fabricated a new base for them.

32801119538_51e70f58cc_b.jpg

39711255433_9f3ab07860_b.jpg

32801056508_127f0ac616_b.jpg

At this point I would normally stop and prime, fill, prime again and paint before further construction.  Thats not possible with this build as the superstructure is a continuation of the hull sides.  From dry fitting I can see the join is less than positive so I need to fix the superstructure in place and fill the gap first.  in tern this means building as much as I can prior to first prime that will be painted the base grey without obstructing painting any deck areas, more about that in the next post

Jase

• Like 8

Hi Shar.  Not really being a 'saily' person, however I found the recent program about HMS Duncan on the 'box' very interesting, so I will keep a close watch on your build.  Will you have a a Russian aircraft flying over the finished article. !!!!   Robin. 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

Which of the two kits would you say is the more accurate?

Martian 👽

Pros and cons to both.  The trumpeter slide moulded hull i think is a disadvantage over the airfix two halves that incorporates some of the superstructure side above deck.  Also the Airfix version has an open bridge and Trumpeter dont.

trumpeter detail is genraly closer to scale and the etch grils etc ads to the refinment.

as the Airfix offering is out of production genraly you can find the trumpeter kit cheaper.

jase

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Robin said:

Hi Shar.  Not really being a 'saily' person, however I found the recent program about HMS Duncan on the 'box' very interesting, so I will keep a close watch on your build.  Will you have a a Russian aircraft flying over the finished article. !!!!   Robin. 

I would need to buld 17 fighters i think lol, maybe not

Jase

The main superstucture is next up. The radar tower and bridge deck have been added, the rest of the bridge will be added later after the deck is painted.

46623560452_ff035d9b96_b.jpg

The gangway openings can be modeled closed or in use, the etch doors are kit supplied.

39711229473_479ffe375f_b.jpg

some of the superstructure detail can also be added prior to painting as much of it is surface detail, ladders, doors and grills.  At this stage I fixed the superstructure in place and got the squadron filler out.

While the filler was drying I cracked open the Atlantic Models etch upgrade set adding anything that won't get in the way of future painting, at this stage these are the lights which have a better scale than the kit parts and the yard arms which are a 1,000,000% improvement on the kit parts.  

This is where disaster strikes. while fitting the last yard arm the first forward arms fell off, slid down the deck and vanished into the Abis of my attic floor.  despite a 1 hour hunt with a torch it is still missing in action.  for now I will progress the build without it in th  hope it turns up, at some point though I may have to revert to the kit parts which just do not look great.

45951470794_7dbc142d35_b.jpg

32801036198_26d4ca2669_b.jpg

With that put to one side the forward rocket silo is the next part to look at.  the kit part is very good except one side has wrongly configured the service doors and the wrong number of lights.  The rear is simplified and the railings are missing, these are not even picked up in the Atlantic etch set.  But the Atlantic set does have replacement panels of the correct arrangement.

45951450884_34a5d623e5_b.jpg

The lights need to be carefully removed from the kit part to be re-applied onto the etch, then the part needs sanding smooth.  There are no Handels supplied in the etch set so I fabricated them from fine copper wire.

46676099901_dd63f76b0a_b.jpg

46676069091_3c85757ea1_b.jpg

46676060721_5456b83433_b.jpg

The etch in this photo is kit supplied, but oversize, with no replacement I have gone with it.  more copper wire for a pipe I fond on a Utube video.  the two bits of plastic box have been added to increase the size of the kit part which is to small.

45951412324_dc57c4ba8f_b.jpg

A little detail added to the inside of the forward bulkhead, these are very prominent on the actual ship as they are yellow and white - I just could not ignore them.

32800971248_663c06f851_b.jpg

More soon

Jase

• Like 8

Jase,  Thank you so much for that. Really appreciated it. Enjoyed the video. Modern warships are soooooo different from the old Leanders and Tribals I had occasion to serve on, briefly I'm glad to say. That transit mess was unbelievable. In my day any 'spare parts' as any extra personnel were called had to sleep wherever they could lay their heads. You tried to find a passageway or space that was quiet or someone trod on your head as they passed ! !  Happy days......

Regards

MM

• Like 1

3 hours ago, missile-monkey said:

Jase,  Thank you so much for that. Really appreciated it. Enjoyed the video. Modern warships are soooooo different from the old Leanders and Tribals I had occasion to serve on, briefly I'm glad to say. That transit mess was unbelievable. In my day any 'spare parts' as any extra personnel were called had to sleep wherever they could lay their heads. You tried to find a passageway or space that was quiet or someone trod on your head as they passed ! !  Happy days......

Regards

MM

My Grandfather preferd serving on destroyers than bigger ships, liked the more relaxed regime .  And he swears a hammock is far superior to a bunk that cannot move with the motion of the ship

• 2 weeks later...

The build continues with the funnel structure.  All the etch is from the kit and fits well, I particularly like the CCTV camera even though its probably a little oversize.

31734232847_87c997c1b5_b.jpg

46623424432_a3677c8a29_b.jpg

39711093073_ec13763e41_b.jpg

The next section of superstructure forms the base for the mast, again these are all kit parts.

31944844977_f3224d0537_b.jpg

46886301151_f51a680a3d_b.jpg

The large radar array is a moments job

45971586495_a50e9a05a6_b.jpg

The forward gun comes with an etched ladder but it is not correct, fortunately the Atlantic Models etch comes to the rescue with correct ladders and turret top rails as well as the step - nice:yahoo: I have also swopped out the over size lumpy gun barrel for a much nicer brass one.  Looks the part once assemble.

46161127204_03e74fc7e4_b.jpg

31944794777_cbef2fcf54_b.jpg

45971533415_22ec755193_b.jpg

46161234364_190810704d_b.jpg

46161234364_190810704d_b.jpg

The next bit of superstructure comes with the correct ladders within the kit, but the hoops are massively oversize, so I replaced with the AM etch.

46834144562_d2977435dc_b.jpg

I have also been able to fill the gaps where the superstructure meets the hull

46161190234_236e45158f_b.jpg

Thats it for now, next up is the hanger, you will need to hold onto your hats for this as the Atlantic Models etch was clearly designed for the Airfix kit and does not fit the Trumpy hanger, not even close :facepalm: :poo:

Jase

Edited by Jase
  • Like 3

On 1/29/2019 at 9:49 AM, Matthew Spence said:

Looking good Jase

Apparently the trumpeter 45's bow shape is off, did you do anything to compensate for this?

And where did you source your brass gun barrel from?

Thanks,

i was not aware of the hull issue to be honest but probably would not have done anything with it as most people would not know.

brass barrels are from Atlantic Models come in a pack of 2 so coverd my Type 42 as well 

Jase

• Like 1