Boeing 720B engines

Orso

Has anyone a suggestion on how to fix engines for a 1/144 Boeing 720B?  I'm building two of the early Roden 720 with the JT3C engines (https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235049281-roden-boeing-720-x2/). I want to build one of them with the JT3D instead. My first thought was to use some Revell 707 engines but I'm not happy with that so I tried to modify them a bit but I am not sure if I will get it to work.

The engines are overscale. Roden somehow ended up with very nice JT4s... Sadly, there is no way to modify them.

I am not sure which Revell engines you are thinking of. I have seen Revell 707 engines that pretend to be JT3s but that originally posed as Conways. In fact they are are neither, being more of a 1960s misunderstanding.

The way to go would be to use a set of Welsh Models or Authentic Airliners JT3s. Each is correct and to scale.

Sorry... Silly me!!!

The Revell JT3Ds should work fine, in theory. I don't know ho easy they are to adapt to the Roden wing, but in terms of shape they ought to be jut right. I'd say, go for it!

Hi, Björn.

The Minicraft website lists an E-3 NATO Standard and a C-18A USAF NATO.

They have both JT3D engines and cost less than aftermarket engines sets. Also Authentic Airliners offers JT3Ds, but it is the long "hush kit" version, not suitable for the 720B.
Another way could be to ask Roden if they want to sell you the JT3Ds of their 720B. They are just two little sprues.

Best regards

Eugenio

Oh God! So much expensive are 1/144 injected kits here in Europe? I build in 1/72 and had no idea about. The site asked for less than 20$.

Anyway, also on another forum, the Minicraft JT3Ds aren't considered good and many suggest Revell.

Good luck for your projects.

Euge

Yes I noticed that Minicraft had them on sale on their home page but there was no option for postage to Europe. But with postage rates now a days it was probably no loss. I'll see what the reply from Roden will be.

• 1 year later...