Zvezda 1/72 Mi-24V/VP Hind E

19 hours ago, James G said:

Great work Nikolay...will bookmark as reference for my Hind build.

Thanks, James! 🤝

Just before painting I decided to attach the main gear legs and... I can’t find them in the box! Oh, ordered another kit for some spare parts.

Now the Crocodile is practically ready for the painting works:

47733989051_2e2a0c9781_k.jpg

Cheers! 😺

• Like 6

Hello guys,

just finished Phase I painting works: an internal surfaces, an overall tan color and some metallic bits. This time it was a pleasure to use an airbrush, with a moderately thin paint and not so low pressure I achieved some very satisfactory results:

46825806135_3f155b7ec3_k.jpg

Thanks for looking! 😺

• Like 12

37 minutes ago, StephenCJ said:

Very nice painting Nikolay.

Thank you Stephen! 🤝

39 minutes ago, StephenCJ said:

I have a AK Interactive box with two of these in it (I think).

I think it’s an Eduard rebox, isn’t it? With two Hinds inside.

The next time I want to do some touch-ups and apply the green spots (or paint an underside).

Cheers! 🙂

3 minutes ago, Nikolay Polyakov said:

I think it’s an Eduard rebox, isn’t it? With two Hinds inside.

You are probably right.  You get two hinds, 3 wheel car and a very good book, lots of pictures.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, StephenCJ said:

You get two hinds, 3 wheel car and a very good book, lots of pictures.

It’s a well-packed set! But to build these two at once can be tiresomely - a lot of details...

I’m glad that the most of the works is done!

Cheers! 😺

On 5/1/2019 at 2:48 PM, Nikolay Polyakov said:

It’s a well-packed set! But to build these two at once can be tiresomely - a lot of details...

It's a great set - a lovely (though Czech-only) book, great decals for fourteen different Hinds, very nice masks, etch and resin, the cuter-than-cute Velorex car - plus about the only way to get a decent Mi-24D in Gentlemen's Scale. 

I eagerly snatched up all three in my LHS. 

Cheers,

Andre

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Hook said:

plus about the only way to get a decent Mi-24D in Gentlemen's Scale.

That’s true. Just looked at the instructions on the Net - it’s something special!

This kit is a big hit from Zvezda, and I wonder why they didn’t produce it in 1:48th scale!

Hello friends,

more painting today! Just finished the spray work with the doors, wheels and decided to put another coat of tan on the fuselage:

46997584704_663480081d_k.jpg

I let it dry for some time and prepare masks for the camouflage. That’s all for today! 😋

• Like 9

5 minutes ago, Fulcrum Guy said:

She's looking really good!

Thank you! 🤝

5 minutes ago, Fulcrum Guy said:

Can't wait to see the finished product of such an iconic machine

Yes, I’m waiting for this moment myself, too!

• Haha 1

Hello, friends! 🤝

I spent the last night at cutting and masking the Hind, used a lot of tape and got this:

33924863638_430d56640b_k.jpg

This morning I accidentally sprayed helicopter with a H303 Green and I hope all it’ll be acceptable when I masked Crocodile out:

33924863938_3f7a3f7dea_k.jpg

So, it’s another small step to finish this work... Thank you for looking! 😉

• Like 9

2 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

Great masking work.

Thanks, Terry! 🤝

2 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

Looking forward to the great reveal!

Then look:

46887246935_f282045250_k.jpg

It was a lot of paper, paint and foam - so I can’t resist to unmask her after some hours...

Some things are unexpectedly well and some things are unexpectedly bad:

47014408224_c6e7623042_k.jpg

I think, it’s not so bad for a first airbrush camouflage painting. The wrong move was to apply the tan color as a base, I think it would be nice to spray an overall fuselage green to save the time and tape.

Anyway, what’s done is done. 🤨

• Like 9

10 minutes ago, Terry1954 said:

Excellent result! really like what you have achieved.

Thank you! ☺️ I hope it will look more promising after the belly painting... Then dacaling...

12 minutes ago, Terry1954 said:

Watching out for next updates!

Thanks for interest in my build, I’ll let you know! 🤝

14 hours ago, Nikolay Polyakov said:

...I think, it’s not so bad for a first airbrush camouflage painting. The wrong move was to apply the tan color as a base, I think it would be nice to spray an overall fuselage green to save the time and tape.

Geez Nikolay, I think it's a great result for the first attempt! If you were to apply the green first, do you think that the task of masking the green 'blotches' prior to applying the tan colour would be easier than this method? I can certainly see how that would save a lot of tape, but it might still be time-consuming.

Anyway, great progress and thanks for sharing your build with us.

regards,

Andrew.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Andrew said:

Geez Nikolay, I think it's a great result for the first attempt!

Thanks, Andrew! 🤝

If you were to apply the green first, do you think that the task of masking the green 'blotches' prior to applying the tan colour would be easier than this method?

Sure thing! I started with a «from the light to the dark tones» method and it was a wrong move. Application of the tan later would be more interesting and easier way.

Anyway, great progress and thanks for sharing your build with us.

☺️

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Nikolay Polyakov said:

...Sure thing! I started with a «from the light to the dark tones» method and it was a wrong move. Application of the tan later would be more interesting and easier way.

I understand what you're saying perfectly; I too would have gone with the same methodology of moving from light to dark. However, thanks to your example, I now see the benefits of the other approach. Awesome! When it comes time to build my (numerous) Zvezda Hinds, I'll be sure to do what you recommend.

thanks and cheers,

Andrew.

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Andrew said:

However, thanks to your example, I now see the benefits of the other approach.

As a Frank (@bentwaters81tfw) said: «Taking pigments or light fade aside, this is borne out by the figure painters in our club. They always start with the dark colours, and overpaint with lighter tones. While you are not painting a large airframe with a spraygun, or a 54mm figure with a two haired brush, the method is identical. Totally AAF to how I was taught to paint, but it works. We used this technique when repainting our 1/1 A-10 in Euro 1. After it weathered in, it now looks just right. Weird.», so it’s a very interesting approach that I’ll try in the future.

1 hour ago, Andrew said:

Awesome! When it comes time to build my (numerous) Zvezda Hinds, I'll be sure to do what you recommend.

I have a few in my stash, too - so it would be an interesting experience!

Thank you, Andrew! 🤝

• Like 1

It's akin to using a black undercoat for silver or yellow, it gives depth.

Presumably the Hind would have come from the factory in one of the various Russian greens, and the tan would have been oversprayed to suit the local requirements.

Rather like the ARTF used on winter exercise by the RAF.

• Thanks 1