This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Sign in to follow this  
Gav G

I need a new car. Recommendations please!

My car got totaled and I'm nearly ready to drive again.  I had a Vauxhall Insignia which was very nice apart from the seats which turned out to be too hard.  I already had a bad back and now it's worse, so I need seats that are softer than the Insignia's.  I'd previously had Rover 75's for many years but there's nothing young enough now. I'll be paying cash, no finance etc needed

So... what family sized car in the £5-6k range would people recommend?

Thanks!

If you have a bad back, find a Volvo. The seats are designed by an orthopaedic surgeon. I had the same problem, and went Volvo 35 years ago. Never looked back, and can go hundreds of miles without a stop, and get out totally pain free.

You will have lots of choice in your price range, and mileage is unimportant, as they go for ever.

56 minutes ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

If you have a bad back, find a Volvo. The seats are designed by an orthopaedic surgeon. I had the same problem, and went Volvo 35 years ago. Never looked back, and can go hundreds of miles without a stop, and get out totally pain free.

You will have lots of choice in your price range, and mileage is unimportant, as they go for ever.

He is right, the seats in his Volvo are good. I have slept in them for many miles on the way to and from shows!

Hi Gav, @Gav G I can recommend Volvo, as @bentwaters81tfw has.

The seats come fitted with lumbar support as standard.

Another make I will recommend is Mercedes, probably a C or an E Class.

One's I will warn you off are Honda (20 minutes to back ache) VW (you can bounce coins off what passes as a seat) AUDI and Skoda unless your going for a people carrier / SUV, the height, or rather the low seat position and the restriction of the door opening won't do your back any favours.

Do consider a four wheel drive (even if it only drives on two) as I think it would help, higher driving position and you'll find it easier getting in and out so less pressure on the back.

Enjoy the hunt, also it's well worth ringing around and explaining the personal restrictions, could save you a lot of time.

Good luck,

Paul

I'd probably recommend Volvo, given the fact they were still proper Volvos, and not overpriced Renaults...

With that budget, I asume you're looking for a preowned car, if you want some quality, comfortable ride. For that price, you can find a Jeep Grand Cherokee, or if you can find an affordable one there, a Subaru Forester, Toyota Rav4, etc....

My own preferences are limited to north american and japanese cars. Run for your life from any VAG group model (and I work for a VAG dealer here in Tenerife)..well, that will be extensive to ANY european made car, unless you choose a Mercedes Benz (again, a proper one, not those Renault engined wannabes)......If you're looking for a reliable car, go for a pre-2000 model year. Maybe too old for you, but if you find a well cared after example, you'll enjoy lots of years of reliable service.

Don't mind the mileage, if you find a regularly serviced and well cared after car......in fact, never trust a low mileage car when you're checking a 10+ years old banger. An average driver makes around 15.000kmts/year. A ten years old car would be expected to show 150.000kmts+ on the odometer. If you notice just 50.000, be careful.

Once you've found a nice car, with fair engine condition, properly serviced, etc.....don't worry about small dents or scratches, they're easy and cheap to repair...take care about the interior parts, trim, upholstery, etc.....they're the most expensive parts to repair in an used car.

And of course, never trust a car that belonged "to an old lady who used it just to attend Mass on sunday morning", specially when it's offered by "Mr. Matt Black Spray Used Cars Inc.".....

What about the Peugeot 3008 - the older shape models are readily available in your price range and, having owned one, the sears and driving position are perfect for anyone with a bad back.

if you suffer from a bad back try to find a car with heated seats! 

Selwyn

Similar to the 3008 brian recommended, as I think it's the same chassis, consider a Citroen C4 Picasso. Nice high driving position, soft enough seats. I have a 2009er with a 1.6 Diesel, enough power and torque in there to swim comfortably on the Autobahn, good fuel consumption, very reliable (apart from some sensor problem that keep occuring in connection with DPF regeneration). As mine now gets a bit old and I always liked the C5 tourer, I bought an 11 month car last year, with a 2.0 diesel. Plenty of fun if you know when to shift gear back a bit, and then kick down in the 3rd 🙂 Mine has comfortable heated seats with a massageing function, though that one is confined to the shoulder region. Now I'm always spoilt for choice which one to take - the C5 is the one for the more official occasions...

I can echo what the guys are saying about Volvos - I have one as a 'runabout'  - a 2001 V70, nearly a 100k miles and not a single rattle. The seats are excellent, hard to find a comfier seat, especially when they're heated! I include BMW, VW and so on here.

I have a 2017 Audi as my main motor, and I can tell you the seats are no where near as comfy as the Volvos, granted it is one of their 'sporty' models but still, the Volvo seats are just like a great big, comfortable sofa!

I have a bad back (three crushed vertebrae, courtesy of a glider incident in 1970) so I understand your problem. I've had four Volvos (a 142, two 244s and a 264) and the seats in all of them were great. However, the best seats I've experienced, ever, are in my current drive - a Peugeot 208 GTi. Because I live in the country a lot of my driving is over long distances, but I've yet to step out of the Pug feeling as though I need a day at the chiropractor to recover.

Do you need something that is a bit easier to get in and out of, or do you prefer a more traditional saloon shape? If the latter, than a Volvo might well fit the bill. Alternatively the Skoda Superb is very comfy and good value. 

If you want something with a higher driving position, you will struggle to find a Volvo in your price range. Alternatives include the Toyota Rav 4, Honda CRV and Skoda Yeti. All are higher up and plenty comfy. Whatever you do though, make sure you get a good, long test drive. 

Alternatively, there's a 1991 Bentley Turbo R on autotrader for five and a half grand. Lovely comfy seats, leather everything and 6.8 litre V8 to play with. I can think of almost no downsides to such a purchase*

* I may not have your best interests at heart

23 minutes ago, Paul A H said:

Alternatively, there's a 1991 Bentley Turbo R on autotrader for five and a half grand. Lovely comfy seats, leather everything and 6.8 litre V8 to play with. I can think of almost no downsides to such a purchase*

* I may not have your best interests at heart

Except maybe the cost of getting the thing serviced ...

If you need something higher, then an XC90 will do you, and there are plenty in your price bracket. Just ensure any 'tiptronic' gearbox versions, change the 'box oil and filters regularly.

On 1/17/2019 at 11:46 PM, Admiral Puff said:

Except maybe the cost of getting the thing serviced ...

Service schmervice. Just buy your oil on the futures market and you're sorted.

Incidentally, how excited was @bentwaters81tfw when he saw someone started a thread asking for recommendations for a used car with particularly comfy seats? ;)

2 hours ago, Paul A H said:

Incidentally, how excited was @bentwaters81tfw when he saw someone started a thread asking for recommendations for a used car with particularly comfy seats? ;)

They come with a free Labrador, pipe and slippers! :pipe:

I would love a Cobra or an Aston, or a 63 Rolls Silver Cloud Coupe, but the pension wouldn't cover putting air in the tyres.

A friend always had sporty cars, Cossies, Scoobys etc, and took the mick out of the Volvos. One day I saw him in an XC60, so he got a barracking. He had owned it for a month or so, and said, somewhat sheepishly 'it's the best car I have ever owned'.

Another recommendation for a C4 Picasso. I have a 2014 model and it has the most comfortable seats of any car I've ever driven. Mine has adjustable lumbar support but not sure if that's standard or just fitted to the higher spec models.

Jaguar XF.

You can pick up a decent 12/62  or earlier plate for 5-7k, all the associated bells and whistles you get with a Jag. Just the tax, insurance and fuel you have to worry about.

Thanks for the advice.  I vaguely had a C class Merc in mind before so those suggestions help.  A neighbour has a Volvo V40 and I always liked the look of it but when I was car hunting last time I could only find white ones and I really didn't fancy that.  However, I've since realised that they have manual handbrakes and electric ones are much better for a bad back than I thought they would be!

On 1/18/2019 at 7:52 PM, Muddyf said:

Jaguar XF.

You can pick up a decent 12/62  or earlier plate for 5-7k, all the associated bells and whistles you get with a Jag. Just the tax, insurance and fuel you have to worry about.

Funnily enough, I've always fancied one of those but hadn't realised the prices had dropped that much.  There's a fairly expensive design fault on them as well (which I can't remember), however, most cars have one e.g. the 6 speed gearbox on the earlier Insignias, clutch on the Rover 75's and so on.

2 hours ago, Gav G said:

However, I've since realised that they have manual handbrakes and electric ones are much better for a bad back than I thought they would be!

I'll swap it for my leccy one. I hate the darn things. Can't do a handbrake turn with a leccy brake! And you have to reach under the dash for it. At least an XC90 as a foot operated one.

Go for a Scania. Air suspended heated and cooled and very comfortable. Car manufacturers could learn a lot from the truck builders.

1 hour ago, richellis said:

Go for a Scania. Air suspended heated and cooled and very comfortable. Car manufacturers could learn a lot from the truck builders.

Nah,to modern....A daily driver for me would be a Bedford TK,although i don't know if i could decide between a flatbed or a tipper....

Edited by Vince1159

5 hours ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

I'll swap it for my leccy one. I hate the darn things. Can't do a handbrake turn with a leccy brake! And you have to reach under the dash for it. At least an XC90 as a foot operated one.

Which idiot put the handbrake under the dash!?! In an Insignia, they're in the centre console where the regular handbrake handle would be.

26 minutes ago, Gav G said:

Which idiot put the handbrake under the dash!?! In an Insignia, they're in the centre console where the regular handbrake handle would be.

The same idiot that gave us the 'space saver' spare. Change the wheel and the well isn't big enough to take a standard roadwheel. If you are fully loaded, where do you put it?

Skoda Octavia. Last year someone reversed into my last Octavia and I got an Insignia as a hire car while my Octavia was being fixed. The Insignia felt cheap by comparison and despite being a slightly bigger car, it had no more room in the cabin or boot. I felt it was a big step down in quality from the Octavia. I have another Octavia now.

thanks

Mike