Takom Chieftain MK 5

Here is a Chieftain MK 5 in NATO colors. Some dusty but not really dirty.

Then my Chieftain collection. A MK 5 in NATO scheme and a MK 11 and a MK 10 both in the BATUS schemes. That's about

enough of these. The old Chieftains look like a real tank, just a real "tankish" look to them.

qxAb45P.jpg6mg0jjp.jpgfNyLsRx.jpgmbvAABV.jpgO3eD7n5.jpgTAeEsBX.jpgwfgjL7Y.jpg1ZIqymI.jpgg8qkm5j.jpgzETbNjS.jpgQqQhiuQ.jpgL50zjxJ.jpg

• Like 30

It’s an infra red search light light so it would have a black filter over the lens, the main gun sight would have an imagine intensifying element to it to see the invisible to the eye beam that the filtered light would cast.  Works well but anyone with a IRR night sight can also see the beam so it would also give away the tanks position, not ideal if the enemy has the same capability.  

Being an active system it does give the firing position away of the Chieftain and that’s why the MK11 Chieftain had the TOGs system installed as its passive rather than active, this followed on to the Challenger 1 and 2, TOGs is a thermal system and doesn’t rely on illuminating the target with IR light. 

HTH 

Dan 

• Like 1

Thanks ijs302

Yes I rather like the BATUS scheme too. BATUS is only about 50kms West of here but the only Chieftain

is the one on display and I believe it's a MK11.  I tried to get in to take some pics but it's a closed

base so no civies allowed....rats!!!

Thanks Dads

That explains it but the black filters fell off all of mine.  Fairly rough out there on the prairie.

Take care all,

Lloyd

• Like 1

From the dim and distant recesses of my I think the lens over the searchlight was switchable to allow IR or white light operation. Could be (and probably am) wrong about this.

Cheers

Phil

Oh yeah,

Ive just looked back on WiP and seen it.  I managed to get a Mk11 at a decent price, not sure whether to build it yet or not.  Ive just finished a Trumpeter BMP 3 Early.  Looking to the next one I fancy something without tracks-Boxer, Dingo or Hummer, decisions decisions...

Take care

Nick

Hi Nick

If I remember correctly the tracks weren't bad on the Takom Chieftain kits. Indy links that

glue together easily and then 2 track pads per link to glue on later. Nothing like the 6 piece

per link on the Rye Field Abrams or some of the Meng tracks, ie Panther with the mega number

of teeth to attach and flash galore to clean up.

All three of these Takom Chieftains were good kits so go ahead and build it. You shouldn't have

to do the Berlin camo on a MK 11 which is a relief.

I didn't see the BMP, where did you post?

Take care,

Lloyd

• 3 weeks later...