A Different Morgan Model

This is a section of Britmodeller where I'm not normally to be found, but a Christmas present from a demented relative gives me no choice but to report the build of a VERY unusual model. 

At the beginning, this is my car....

Tarka-at-Goodwood.jpg

Yes, it is a 2014 Morgan Plus 8, with a 4.8L V8.

I was bought a model which is supposed to end up like this .....

1-Ugears-Roadster-VM-01.jpg

It has more than a passing resemblance. 

Opening the box I found this...

IMG_0698.jpg

Almost 500 parts, laser cut from birch ply. A stunning example of a CAD design and efficient layout of components. 

The 46 page assembly instructions are clear, no adhesive is used, just wooden dowels and rubber bands. 

In the end a working model, with three speed transmission, powered by 16 elastic bands. The motor also drives the B8, with working pistons. 

Steering and front suspension also work. 

This is a YouTube video of the finish car. 

Will my model work as well? Time will tell! 

I'll post reports along the way! 

Edited by 224 Peter
  • Like 6

All I got was a Haynes branded Spitfire.

It's actually Meccano and bears no resemblance to a Spitfire.

I think you're going to have better luck than me.

BTW, you may want to edit your picture and hide your number plate. Odd people lurk on line....

Thanks everyone...after a plastic kit is is a bit daunting! 

I don't worry about exposing the car registration... the car is all over the web as it was the Morgan Motor Company Show car for 2014. 

Also, a lot of photos of it over on the 'Talk Morgan" Forum. 

They are rare... fewer than 60 in the UK, produced between 2013 and 2018. Mine is the only one in that colour. 

It is based on the Morgan Aero Supersport, but with a traditional body. 4.8L V8, 368bhp coupled to an auto box with paddle shift. So "quite quick". 

Underneath very modern, ABS, airbags, power steering, A/C, heated seats, DAB Bluetooth radio...

First registered in April 2014 it has 38,000 miles on the clock. In the summer a daily drive, 

• Like 3

OK, Day 1..... 3 solid hours spent building. 

This "kit" is engineered more finely than a Wingnut Wings kit, great care is needed checking fit and making sure the very fine nibs that hold each piece to the fret are removed. 

It is crucial to follow the instructions step by step. They are clear and for each stage there is an image of the frets with the parts needed highlighted. 

The hardest part is tying elastic bands to the correct length, these provide the "spring" for the transmission controls. 

I've got to page 12 of 47.. 

This is what it looks like. 

IMG_0700.jpg

It does look as in the illustration. 

A long way to go...but it is addictive...

More tomorrow! 

• Like 5

I couldn't stop, so this afternoon I completed the chassis and installed the floor and pedal box. 

IMG_0702.jpg

The cog at the front of the chassis drives the engine, so the pistons all go up and down! 

The pedals do have a purpose, but I'm not sure  exactly what they do. 

Between the seat bases is a lever that selects forward - neutral-reverse. 

From the underside the drive shaft is clear and the rear axle can be seen. 

IMG_0701.jpg

The gear box is on the far side of the chassis. 

I've used less than 20% of the parts... a LOT more to do. 

Generally the fit is good...some sanding is required and lining up the chassis sides with all the various bits that have to fit precisely is a bit of  fiddle. 

On to the engine! 

• Like 5

Over the weekend I made good progress.... it is starting to look just like a Morgan. 

IMG_0723.jpg

This shot shows the "motor", 16 elastic bands that are wound through 15 complete turns. 

The gearbox is on the left, three speeds: reverse, neutral and forward, all selected by the gear lever between the seats!

IMG_0709.jpg

The picture also shows how the wings are attached, threaded over 2mm dowels (actually cocktail sticks!!)

As a model it isn't very accurate, more a convincing representation of a Morgan. But as a build it is enormous fun, and almost addictive. 

The next post will be in "Ready For inspection"!!

• Like 5

On ‎1‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 7:04 PM, Pete in Lincs said:

BTW, you may want to edit your picture and hide your number plate. Odd people lurk on line....

I agree 100%   There's some naughty folk about these days who want anything that u got...……...

Other than that, great work and keep it up, matey

On 14/01/2019 at 18:23, harveyb258 said:

I agree 100%   There's some naughty folk about these days who want anything that u got...……...

Other than that, great work and keep it up, matey

I found another photo, with the original registration, rather than the one I have now! 

• Like 1