Airfix 1:72 Wellington – Antarctic Research – Biggles Inspired

Xenol

Not sure if this should be in with the Whifs really – I have been reading a lot of Biggles books recently, and got quite interested in the modelling possibilities that they provide. In one recent read, (Biggles Breaks the Silence) he heads to the Antarctic in a Wellington under the guise of a government research vehicle to retrieve some lost gold from a shipwreck. Not much is said about the aircraft other than it being modified for the cold weather, including the addition of skis – which leaves me with some latitude regarding livery. This is my first proper build in a long time, so hopefully it doesn't go too awry!

With that I toddled to the local shop and picked up airfix's offering to begin this weekend. Below is a rough mockup of my intended scheme:

45761215125_009d929a64_b.jpg

Looking forward to this :)

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

I'm liking the look of this, I did wonder about the turrets but then figured there must have been (I've not read this one) a bunch of baddies/renegade nazis in a whale ship/ ski equipped ju52 ( delete as appliacable :) ) so the turrets might have been a good idea.  :)

I found this image of a cover of a 2014 printing of a edition of several Biggles adventures, a bit boring re the colour scheme but some ideas for the skis, somewhat similar to the USN R-4Ds operated in Antarctica would be a good start point I reckon.

Steve.

Edited by stevehnz

11 hours ago, stevehnz said:

I'm liking the look of this, I did wonder about the turrets but then figured there must have been (I've not read this one) a bunch of baddies/renegade nazis in a whale ship/ ski equipped ju52 ( delete as appliacable :) ) so the turrets might have been a good idea.  :)

I found this image of a cover of a 2014 printing of a edition of several Biggles adventures, a bit boring re the colour scheme but some ideas for the skis, somewhat similar to the USN R-4Ds operated in Antarctica would be a good start point I reckon.

Steve.

Thanks for the image – I was actually planning on removing the guns from the turrets, from memory the aircraft was unarmored.

• Like 1