Spitfire flypast - Hong Kong 1955

JasonC

Great video from the IWM archive which I'd not seen before. As per the blurb, the occasion is the 1955 Queen's Birthday flypast in Hong Kong, as well marking the retirement of the aircraft from service with the HKAAF. Colour throughout, and great quality considering the age.

https://film.iwmcollections.org.uk/record/2791

Highlights:

- Starts with a pre-flight checks (some nice close ups), followed by take off.

- Ground and aerial footage of the mixed 4-ship formation (PR.19 & F.24).

- Flyby of four Harvards.

- Aerial close up of F.24 VN318, which lowers and raises its undercarriage.

- Landing and taxi to hangar.

Spits that I can make out are Mk.24's VN485 (now at Duxford) & VN318, and PR.19's PS852 & PS854.

J.

Ok, so it's not quite WWII, but they're Spits!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 6

Ah, found it. Tony posted a similar topic in Real Aviation.

Though I note that the IWM version linked above has additional footage, including the pre-flight checks.

cheers,

Jason

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hello Jason,

what a great film! Thank you for sharing.

I spotted PS852 (Ex 81 Squadron, Flt Lt E.C. Powles) a couple of times and was of course excited as this particular Spitfire has fascinated me for years.

Cheers,

Antti

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for posting this Jason. I notice the F.24’s have no underwing roundels and the underwing serials look a little different to the way Airfix depict these on their latest 1/48 kit decal sheet. It’s nice to see this film in full and the close up images are really fascinating. Do we believe that PR.19 PS854 is the one with the all red spinner? I’m having trouble making that one out. 

Cheers.. Dave

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Thanks for posting this Jason. I notice the F.24’s have no underwing roundels and the underwing serials look a little different to the way Airfix depict these on their latest 1/48 kit decal sheet. It’s nice to see this film in full and the close up images are really fascinating. Do we believe that PR.19 PS854 is the one with the all red spinner? I’m having trouble making that one out. 

Cheers.. Dave

Actually one of the F.24's (VN318) has underwing roundels (the only one of the four Spits to have them). As far as I can tell it is indeed PS854 that has the all red spinner.

Agree that the Airfix serial style seems a little off. I also see that Airfix have it down as '80 Squadron, Royal Hong Kong Auxiliary Air Force'. 80 Sqn was the RAF unit that previously owned the Mk.24's; the HKAAF had no such squadron nomenclature to my knowledge.

VN318 is interesting for a few reasons. It's the only one of the four Spits to sport underwing roundels, and also the only one with an individual aircraft letter (E). It also has the long cannon barrel fairings (see for example 10:35,  and compared with VN485 at 5:52 & 6:53). Airfix seem to have got this correct, at least going by their artwork.

Also worth noting that part of the crowbar seems to be red! See film at 4:00.

regards,

Jason

• Thanks 2

Also interesting that the planning board for the flypast (2:27) suggests that a Hornet might be involved in the proceedings. Alas no sign of it in the film.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, JasonC said:
12 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Actually one of the F.24's (VN318) has underwing roundels (the only one of the four Spits to have them). As far as I can tell it is indeed PS854 that has the all red spinner.

Yep - Spot on Jason. I’ve taken (as best I could) a screen grab of PS854 and the underwing serials of VN318. I didn’t notice the longer cannon barrels in comparison to VN485 so thanks for pointing that out. I’ve got the 1/72 Spit 22 in the stash and think that it’s quite possible to build this fairly OOB to depict ‘318. Its also interesting to see the Dark Green paint used inside the cockpit, looks nothing like the usual Humbrol 78 and the 1/72 Airfix F.22 instructions do suggest Humbrol 120 for these internal areas. Anyway - it’s all good stuff and I seem to notice more with each viewing. 

Cheers and thanks once again.. Dave

45993399684_a74bffdbda_b.jpg

32843017768_a366b61d99_b.jpg

• Like 1

Sorry - just one last question, can anyone identity this Fuel Bowser shown at approx 01:57? I’d like to now the make and name of this vehicle if that’s known to anyone. 

Cheers.. Dave 

46718219981_b8b4210c12_b.jpg

That is a cracking bit of film. Makes you wonder how many more are hiding out there.

Kai Tak looked a lot differe tn in 1955 than it did when I flew in there in the 80s!

Julien

• Like 1

• 3 years later...
3 hours ago, TonyOD said:

@JasonC VN318 is shaping up to be my next build and this film

is an embarrassment of riches. Many thanks.

No worries. Which kit are you building?

J.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, JasonC said:

Which kit are you building?

Airfix 1/48 OOB. Currently on a very early Mk I so the result will be a contrast!

• Like 1