Airfix 1/72 Heinkel He 111

Aaargh! Spoke too soon on the fit... the fuselage windows don't want to play ball at all, they're a bit over sized in all directions and too thick so don't sit flush. I've spent the last hour sanding two of them thinner, I've had to take maybe 0.3mm off, then polishing back up with micromesh so they are see through. 2 down, 6 to go so won't be much progress to see for the next few days

• 2 weeks later...

I've been chipping away at the He-111 for the last couple of weeks and got onto the painting stage this weekend. The surface was primed with Vallejo ghost grey - I read somewhere that this works best with the air pressure turned up so went for 30psi and it laid down really nicely. Next I pre-shaded all the panel lines and rivets and now I'm adding the underside RLM65 in thin layers. I think I'll give it one more coat and then mask it off for painting the upper surfaces. This evening's photos are lousy as the light is rubbish but you should be able to get the idea of how I'm covering up the preshading layer by layer. 

46328756274_7559371592_z.jpg

47052572071_3048db7485_z.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Next up I've covered up the underside paint work and masked the camouflage pattern on top. I'm going with BoB scheme on the xtradecal sheet, should look good with the yellow spinners matching the yellow nose of my recent bf109e. I'm still learning how best to add texture (maybe not quite the right word?) to my airbrushing and I'm trying a few things with this build.  I think the rivets will help but I'm a bit worried that the dunkelgrun and schwarzgrun will end up too uniform,  dark and boring.  Here my first coat of rlm71 is thinned down and doesn't cover the preshading but gets the colour started:

20190218_212444

For the second coat I go back over the preshading with the rlm71 shot from close range with fine nozzle (0.15mm) so as to soften the dark lines and start to add shading. More work needed to tone down the preshading some more but I think this will result in a nonuniform finish after maybe two more careful coats. I might also try highlights with a thinned and lightened coat given that I'm feeling braver and more in control of the airbrush (famous last words?!?)

46224709875_b8fe80f4cf_z.jpg

Half the fun of this is learning through trial and error but any tips would be greatly appreciated as well!

• Like 5

Painting looking good so far. I think doing some highlights with a lighter colour could look really good so you should definitely look at that. Make sure you practice before hitting the model though - I’ve messed things up trying to do the same. It’s a big model so it shouldn’t be too difficult- use v thinned mix and it will be quite forgiving. 

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, SaminCam said:

At the moment I've got the front dome tacked on with pva so i can take it off and add the gun at the end

Is PVA glue the same used by carpenters to glue wood? Or is it the one used at school? Read it was good for gluing weights since it doesn't attack the plastic. Nor it fogs clear parts.

@Sturmovik I've got cheap craft glue so probably more like school stuff,  not really sure the difference though. It dries clear but not that strong so tend to only use it for temporary gluing. I've successfully glued weights in place with araldite - it sets solid and doesn't seem to react to the plastic. 

• Thanks 1

On 2/25/2019 at 2:47 AM, bbudde said:

Hello, even if it looks in natural light better, for me the preshading looks too much trough or the paint coat is too thin. Scale effect matters. Otherwise great work on that. Cheers

I do agree with you bbude. Scale effect does indeed matter and the preshading is still far too noticeable...

But hey, @SaminCam, at the end of the day it is your model, and yours alone. Your choice! 

It still looks spectacular!

JR

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jean said:

But hey, @SaminCam, at the end of the day it is your model, and yours alone. Your choice! 

It still looks spectacular!

Yes of course. No critism at that point, maybe a hint. His model, his choice. If he feels satisfied with it, everything is fine. As said before great work on that. Cheers

Edited by bbudde
  • Thanks 1

Looks great so far, the Airfix kit looks like a fine choice. If I might be allowed a suggestion ...

... when it comes to weathering, what has worked for me is, after the decals are on, and after the first flat coat, you can get some great results by getting some pastel chalks from an art store, sanding the on old sandpaper to get fine dust, and scrubbing the dust on lightly with an old, large brush over the surfaces  (including decals)  Brown and black for exhaust stains, white, light and dark greys for faded paint. It fades the paint perfectly, knocks down the overly bright decals and fades the markings, and if your not satisfied, you can remove with a pencil eraser, or a wet paper towel. When your happy, give it another shot of flat coat to seal everything.

(I'm not trying to hijack the thread, just offering a suggestion as I've weather a HE-111, hope this is taken in that light)

decal9

weather4

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Thanks gents,  all advice greatly appreciated.  The Schwarzgrun went down nicely and this evening I got the masking off...

47232729941_6153d3f37e_z.jpg

Sorry for the lousy low light photo! I'm quite happy with the result so far; the shading on the darker green is about right for me and stops it from being just a dark block of colour. The lighter shade needs a few touch ups and I'll take that opportunity to calm down the preshading one more time.

@Tail-Dragonthanks for the tips on pastels,  I've not tried them yet but maybe will give it a go. On previous builds I've used artist oils for weathering,  what do you think about using both,  where would pastels work well and where oils?

Another question people have probably thought about before: what's the best way to do the squadron bars (right phrase?)? The xtradecal sheet has them, they are a bit pink coloured, and thought they might look better sprayed on using another mask, any experience or examples of either method out there? Thanks for the help and discussion!

• Like 4

Hi

I do actually use artist oils as a pin wash (I personally have never been a fan of preshading, just a personal choice).  I pinwash after decaling and the first  flat coat, I mix darker versions of the background colour for panel lines, a little heavier for access hatches etc. and grey or black for control surfaces - not to heavy or thick as your trying to replicate shadows.  Thin heavily and apply with a fine brush to let the mix flow into the lines. When it's almost dry, I will wipe in the airflow direction with a cotton rag SLIGHTLY moistened with thinner.  Then, when completely dry (I wait at least 2 days)  I'll flatcoat again, then do the pastel chalk and seal with even more flat coat (I do go through a lot of it!)

About waiting several days to carry on - BOY, did I learn that the hard way - the biggest mess you ever saw is mixing pastels and oils that aren't fully dried!

About the formation bars - I did the same markings you are using, but didn't like the look of those bars, so I didn't apply them. Being as they were a short term, temporary application for a specific period, and as I found photo's of that particular aircraft without them, I felt justified.

HE-111H-2, 9,KG 53

HE-111H-2, 9,KG 53 b

Ever since I saw the movie 'Battle of Britain'  when it was first released I've like the look of the HE-111 - it's menacing!

(here's a link to mine, if you want to see it)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/150700625@N03/40955439072/in/album-72157683480097391/

Edited by Tail-Dragon
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Tail-Dragon said:

Hi

I do actually use artist oils as a pin wash (I personally have never been a fan of preshading, just a personal choice).  I pinwash after decaling and the first  flat coat, I mix darker versions of the background colour for panel lines, a little heavier for access hatches etc. and grey or black for control surfaces - not to heavy or thick as your trying to replicate shadows.  Thin heavily and apply with a fine brush to let the mix flow into the lines. When it's almost dry, I will wipe in the airflow direction with a cotton rag SLIGHTLY moistened with thinner.  Then, when completely dry (I wait at least 2 days)  I'll flatcoat again, then do the pastel chalk and seal with even more flat coat (I do go through a lot of it!)

About waiting several days to carry on - BOY, did I learn that the hard way - the biggest mess you ever saw is mixing pastels and oils that aren't fully dried!

About the formation bars - I did the same markings you are using, but didn't like the look of those bars, so I didn't apply them. Being as they were a short term, temporary application for a specific period, and as I found photo's of that particular aircraft without them, I felt justified.

HE-111H-2, 9,KG 53

HE-111H-2, 9,KG 53 b

Ever since I saw the movie 'Battle of Britain'  when it was first released I've like the look of the HE-111 - it's menacing!

(here's a link to mine, if you want to see it)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/150700625@N03/40955439072/in/album-72157683480097391/

Thanks! Understood with the oils and pastels and great to see a photo of the real thing. I agree about the he-111, think I saw one of the posters with black silhouettes for identification when I was at school and have always loved the shape. Yours is stunning, both interior and exterior are 👌

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Tail-Dragon said:

Hi

She is sure looking sharp, now. Just out of curiosity, what kind of paints are you using, the colours look spot on!

Thanks mate,  I've used mr hobby acrylics rlm65, rlm71 and rlm70 thinned about 50:50 with tamiya x-20a. I've been really impressed with these, they spray great and colours look good to me!

I finished touching up the painting and got a couple of thin coats of aqua gloss on at the weekend and this evening started to add the larger decals. I think I'm going to mask and spray the white bars on the tail and wing but need to replenish my stocks of flat white so this will happen after all the decals are on and another coat of varnish has gone on.  Still lots of work to do but starting to come to life now!

33417515728_42e6b2be70_z.jpg

33417516158_7c80f98d1a_z.jpg

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

HI all, in sight of the finish line now. Since the last post I've added all the decals (there are a lot of small ones included in the airfix kit) and painted and attached parts like the guns, exhausts, undercarriage, etc. All of this went together without too much hassle though the clear parts with the guns on the underside needed a bit of fettling to fit and might now get some fine filler before a touch up with paint. I'm going to paint the squadron bars as shown on the xtradecal sheet and the photo below. In the photo it looks like the Luftwaffe might not have been very good at masking off the area near these bars and I'm debating whether to have a go at recreating this effect, risky though! Once I've added the gun position on top and sorted out the props she'll get another coat of varnish and then some final weathering. Thanks for taking a look! 

40437566973_e1a1e58576_z.jpg

32461083437_e24c43230d_z.jpg

32461081897_45a16bea27_z.jpg

33527064918_3bbc9104e6_z.jpg

• Like 8