Airfix 1/72 Heinkel He 111

Ah, interestingly, the xtradecal sheet also points out the overspray - I didn't know what this meant until seeing the previous photo... Not sure how you are supposed to achieve this with the transfers?!?

47353086682_197a169e54_n.jpg

All the bits on now and shiny due to gloss coat. Last few steps are the white squadron bars (perhaps with a bit of overspray), weathering, a flat coat to seal it and finally, the moment of truth, all the masking comes off.

33550212468_0e4d624686_z.jpg

Also a clue on what's up next!

33550209648_2111b18d73_m.jpg

• Like 8

Looking good, Samincam. I built the ICM He 111 H in Battle of Britain markings with the formation bars on the wing and fin. Mine was A1 + DA, from the same unit as yours. If I knew how ro post pictures I would, but I need to read how to do it !

As a note of interest I've read in several books that the wing and fin bars were sometimes painted in a pale pink, so the decals would be correct, although I played safe and used the kit decals, which were white.  HTH

:cheers:

Spoiler

Edited by Starfighter
  • Thanks 1

Got the identification bars masked up and sprayed on last night and I think they look ok! I added a tiny touch of red so there is a hint of pink in the shade.

46724813204_f04eb26d6b_z.jpg

32506187767_e718694c4d_z.jpg

32506182197_71ce155a59_z.jpg

The overspray on the wing is deliberate (based on the photo below) though I've just realised I should have spaced the bars a bit wider rather than copying the decal pattern. Oh well! Hopefully I'll get time to do some weathering and get this finished off this weekend. Cheers, Sam 

40437566973_e1a1e58576_n.jpg

• Like 7

Real life has got in the way of modelling this weekend - it was the last game of the hockey season on Saturday and been 1:1 sanding, filling and painting in the bathroom today. However... the gap between the white bars was bugging me so got the masking tape out again and fixed them to look a bit more like the photo above... happy with that! Cheers, Sam

40491829593_6366b86d53_z.jpg

• Like 10

Finished! Weathering is fairly low key: first I used a fine brush and a steady hand to paint on a little bit of chipping around the panel lines, engine intakes, etc. I then used white, brown and black oil paints to add some streaks - I do this by putting a little dot of oil paint on un-thinned and then streaking it away with another clean brush. It's difficult to see in these photos but I'm happy with the effect in real life. The aerial cable is stretched sprue and everything got a final coat of Vallejo flat varnish. Overall I'm really happy with the build, the airfix kit goes together without too many dramas, I like the BoB scheme and decals and I think the extra bit of effort on the cockpit and riveting were worth it. I'll get an RFI together later in the week, thanks to those who have followed and for the advice and encouragement along the way!

47509582541_cf9e49b5b3_z.jpg

40543694043_923692b19c_z.jpg

47456867022_bdb74079dc_z.jpg

• Like 8

• 3 weeks later...