Airfix 1/72 Heinkel He 111

My next model is the Airfix 1/72 He 111. The version in the box is an H6 carrying an external torpedo and bomb, however, I'd like to represent something from the Battle of Britain so probably an H2 with the bomb bay doors open and with the older style prop and exhausts (more research needed on all of this!). I've got the Eduard interior set and I'm going for a scheme off the Xtradecal BoB sheet. So far progress has been getting the interior painted (photos below) and fiddly etch bits together (I'll try and get some photos of these this evening). All comments and suggestions warmly welcomed! 

45759605325_848ceccf34_z.jpg

45759605395_f5834c50fc_z.jpg

ps thanks to @limeypilot who's WIP has provided lots of inspiration and already pointed out a useful fix of putting plasticard at the front of the wing root to fill in the holes visible in the cockpit. 

Edited by SaminCam
Posted accidentally before I'd finished
  • Like 11

A little bit more progress made on the interior with radio boxes painted up and RLM66 sprayed and etch starting to go on in the cockpit. I've copied @limeypilot's modifications to the pedals which I'll get a better photo of once I've done a bit more on the 'pit. So far it's going together really well and I think the extra nobs, dials and details from Eduard will be worth the cursing and scrambling around on the floor looking for bits... Also, I'm really appreciating the decent set of paint brushes that dad bought me for Christmas - I didn't realise how much difference it would make for painting fine details.

31758388887_ee4cf8d718_z.jpg

• Like 10

Exactly! I'm trying to work on getting everything nice and crisp before weathering - I've been too imprecise with the block colouring and brush painting on my other builds and things end up looking a bit muddy. Does that make sense?

• Like 1

The funny thing is, the cockpit/ internals are the only places I weather and I don't know why. I used to weather my 1/48 stuff but since the move to 1/72 I haven't done it, as I think the real thing would need to be pretty dirty/ battered to see to see it in 1/72, just my view. Makes sense?

Weathering, like panel lines are down to individual taste.

Stuart

• Like 1

In my opinion, weathering the interior of the bomber would be a waste of time due to how little will be seen after the fuselage halves are glued together. The cockpit is another story, and the greenhouse canopy will show everything.

• Like 1

Thanks all. I only returned to the hobby about 18 months ago and this is my sixth build so learning every step of the way. Once I've got the PE done I'll varnish and work on the weathering, reminding myself "less is more!" At the moment I like working with artists oils for washes and highlights and I'm also going to try some dry brushing and very fine brush work for chips to pick out the edges - I'll post pics once I've made some more progress.  

A few snaps here of the interior before most of it disappears forever! Brown oil wash was applied in the cabin and a few nicks and scratches added with silver paint and fine brush. The cockpit has also been weathered with the same approach, black oil and silver highlights - I'm quite happy with the results, the Eduard bits and pieces definitely help and hopefully will be able to see some of it through the canopy. Fuselage halves and bottom part of wing all fit pretty well, a few seams to tidy up but not too bad. Similarly the three-part greenhouse on the front went together surprisingly easily.  Plenty still to do on this one - next steps will be to paint the wheel bays, spray the canopy dark grey and get an undercoat on.  I'm also going to get the rivet wheel out again (enjoyed it with the Bf109E) but will do this on the wings before gluing everything together. Thanks for looking! 

32936678288_c9eeb59898_z.jpg 

45897362635_245fd99289_z.jpg

32936677678_47ef4b7b73_z.jpg

• Like 20

Thanks @clive_t , I find it a bit easier to work with than the Tamiya panel line washes as you can control the consistency easily - I use a mix of artists oils and white spirit. It also cleans up easily when used on top of gloss varnish. Final step I've done here is to put a matt varnish to seal it. 

Edited by SaminCam

@Courageous thanks! And agreed it is a pity... I couldn't see an easy way to have a removable section for the cabin like with the b-29 I posted last week. Most of the effort has gone into the cockpit and hopefully we'll be able to see some of this through the canopy in the end!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

After lots of work with the rivetting wheel I've glued the wings on and it's starting to look like a 111. Rivetting has gone ok though the trumpeter tool is starting to struggle - the plastic axle the metal,  toothed wheel rotates on is being worn away as I press down so now it's not rotating very smoothly and will soon not work at all. It's fixible,  if I replace the axle with something the same size and metal, but would recommend looking elsewhere if you're considering buying one (it's lasted a bf109 and he-111). 

The kit fits together quite well with only a little bit of filler applied to the joins on the lower wing and just behind the cockpit. I found the wings went together better with the locating pins removed. Next jobs are to finish tidying seams,  paint wheel bays, add cabin windows and mask,  and then finish off the priming (I did upper wing to cheek the rivets show through). Thanks for looking! 

33045730588_6512115784_z.jpg

46196294124_a3e68e7a7e_z.jpg

• Like 12

She's coming on very nicely indeed! I have to stop starting new builds and get those I've started (such as this one!) finished! Having said that, I'm planning another start next month for the trainers gb.

Ho hum...

Ian

• Like 1