Fujimi 1/72 Nakajima J1N1 Gekko

A typical Fujimi model: not many parts, scarce interior details, very simple build and gentle panel lines. Build process went okay, some effort and several styrene strips are needed for the alignment of rear upper fuselage and the upper wing/fuselage joint. MLG interior could use some details, due to its size. Gunze colours were used over Alclad aluminium base. Upper colour is Gunze Nakajima IJN Green, lower surfaces Gunze IJN Gray. National insignia and yellow ID stripes airbrushed. AK weathering oils were used and chipping was done with various colored pencils.

rfi_gekko_01.jpg?w=868&h=&zoom=2

rfi_gekko_02.jpg?w=868&h=&zoom=2

rfi_gekko_03.jpg?w=1250&h=

rfi_gekko_04.jpg?w=1250&h=

rfi_gekko_06.jpg?w=1250&h=

rfi_gekko_09.jpg?w=1250&h=

rfi_gekko_10.jpg?w=1250&h=

rfi_gekko_11.jpg?w=1250&h=

rfi_gekko_14.jpg?w=1250&h=

rfi_gekko_15.jpg?w=1250&h=

rfi_gekko_16.jpg?w=868&h=&zoom=2

• Like 26

May not be the most detailed kit out there, but it looks like you had a nice go of it. 

How owe did you produce the nav lights? They look really clean and nice. 

Thanks for sharing!

Thank you, RadMax8. Wingtip navigation lights are kit's clear parts which I hand-painted with Gunze clear Red and Blue. Lights in the middle of the wings are molded into wings surface, I firstly brush painted it with acrylic white colour, and then same Gunze clear Red and Blue.

• Like 1

A very nice looking Gekko! I like your subtle weathering and chipping/scratches.

The Gekko is a somewhat fascinating plane. It might be the only fighter with up- and downwards facing oblique guns: Schräge Musik at its best.

• Thanks 1

The early Gekko is my preferred one. A wonderful build, especially commendable for the small scale. The upper surface green is a great match for the IJN nightfighter green (which may have been a bit lighter/greener than the standard D1/D2 black greens).

Congratulations from a fellow J-modeller!

• Thanks 1