1/72 B-17 Mk III of 223 Squadron of 100 Group

Hi,

Please find attached some pictures of my recently completed Airfix B-17 of RAF 100 Group. 

To those who are in the process of building the model please be aware of the squadron code error on the Airfix instructions. Tonyot made a gallant effort to get me the information but alas it was too late. Here's is Tony's comment for reference.

"Looking nice,...I`ve just discovered this one and reading through it I was really hoping that you hadn`t reached the decal stage as I wanted to warn you about a mistake in the kit instructions which is often made elsewhere,..... but I`m too late!! The sqn codes were 6G and they were grouped together as such on both sides of the fuselage and separate from the individual code `B' ,..... but on the left side they have been mistakenly grouped as B6-G!"

In any case here are the pictures and I hope you enjoy them. If you want to see the entire build sequence please go to the STGB B-17 page. Oh and if you get a chance do participate in one of the group builds. This was absolutely fantastic....I'm earmarked for the February C-47 group build ...perfect for the 75th anniversary of D-Day.

All the Best!

Don

fYMIfEp.jpg

NSbLLrx.jpg

c7PHkbn.jpg

6k8cCX8.jpg

mbPcW5q.jpg

KHtaqIl.jpg

KB4esfw.jpg

o94ydxN.jpg

AecDfdX.jpg

Tk2UxAP.jpg

• Like 38

Thank you for showing us your model. We don't get to see many finished models of a B-17. But to me its a shame that you have finished and painted it as an obscure RAF bird. I like gleaming metal and colorful markings.

• Like 2
  • Confused 4

Very nice, got this kit as a Chrissey pres.

One thing to note, this particular Fort had the blunter late model plexiglass nose not the pointy one in the Airfix kit. If you have the Revell B-17G kit it has the required 'blunt' plexiglass nose in it, I've not checked if it will fit though.

I have two great refs for this too, "The Aircraft of 100 Group" and "Confound and Destroy", both from the 1980's.

• Like 1