This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

DJJunis

1/72 B-17 Mk III of 223 Squadron of 100 Group

Hi,

Please find attached some pictures of my recently completed Airfix B-17 of RAF 100 Group. 

To those who are in the process of building the model please be aware of the squadron code error on the Airfix instructions. Tonyot made a gallant effort to get me the information but alas it was too late. Here's is Tony's comment for reference.

"Looking nice,...I`ve just discovered this one and reading through it I was really hoping that you hadn`t reached the decal stage as I wanted to warn you about a mistake in the kit instructions which is often made elsewhere,..... but I`m too late!! The sqn codes were 6G and they were grouped together as such on both sides of the fuselage and separate from the individual code `B' ,..... but on the left side they have been mistakenly grouped as B6-G!"

In any case here are the pictures and I hope you enjoy them. If you want to see the entire build sequence please go to the STGB B-17 page. Oh and if you get a chance do participate in one of the group builds. This was absolutely fantastic....I'm earmarked for the February C-47 group build ...perfect for the 75th anniversary of D-Day.

All the Best!

Don

fYMIfEp.jpg

NSbLLrx.jpg

c7PHkbn.jpg

6k8cCX8.jpg

mbPcW5q.jpg

KHtaqIl.jpg

KB4esfw.jpg

o94ydxN.jpg

AecDfdX.jpg

Tk2UxAP.jpg

Thank you for showing us your model. We don't get to see many finished models of a B-17. But to me its a shame that you have finished and painted it as an obscure RAF bird. I like gleaming metal and colorful markings.

Looks very good. Well done. It’s interesting to see a B 17 finished in RAF colours too, makes a change. John

I think that RAF finish looks really good on B-17s. That looks lovely.

Great looking Fortress there, love the scheme too 

Very nice 100 group b17 a pleasant change from nmf , looks like i will have to add that to my list after the 100 group b24

Very nice, got this kit as a Chrissey pres.

One thing to note, this particular Fort had the blunter late model plexiglass nose not the pointy one in the Airfix kit. If you have the Revell B-17G kit it has the required 'blunt' plexiglass nose in it, I've not checked if it will fit though.

I have two great refs for this too, "The Aircraft of 100 Group" and "Confound and Destroy", both from the 1980's.

Very nice build! I've always loved the look of the Flying Fortress in the Bomber Command colours. This kit is on my short list of 'must-have' kits.

Regards,

Jason

Very original scheme! I love it!

very well done

Frank

It looks fab in RAF colours, especially given that it's a 100 Group aircraft.

Nicely done Sir.

Thank you all for your comments...they are all truly appreciated.

All the Best!

Don

Excellent 'obscure RAF bird'...

Thanks again fellows for the kind comments.

All the Best!

Don

Cracking job and nice to see a 17 in war paint.  The usual American bare metal finish is eye-catching but good old RAF camo looks so much more businesslike.