Hello from Barry Island :-)

Sickneer

Big Welsh Helo (yeah it's not much different to the English version) to you all. 🖐️

I love modelling, I'm size 8 - 5' 7" - Blonde....oh wrong modelling forum. 😜  I've been modelling since I was a kid and bounced around from one aspect to another. I did do a lot of railway modelling through my younger adult life but over the last 5+ years have been drawn more into the plastic scale modelling. I guess I was never really happy with what the train-set brigade were doing and eventually I've grown frustrated by the lack of attention to detail and moved away from that area. Although like most kids I built my fair share of classic Airfix WW2 plane kits but these days my interest is firmly set in modern warfare. Specifically US around Iraqi Freedom/Dessert storm although I like to focus on the non MBT stuff like the Hemtt, LMTV's, Humvee, M2, D9R, I guess the support stuff that makes the battle field function. I guess I'm not 100% fixed as I have a few Sherman kits in the stash and T-55's. I also have a fetish for a good Tomcat, yes we can blame a certain film for that but then I always loved Airwolf. So, my stash has a growing number of US navy carrier based aircraft kits like the CH-46D Sea Knight, C-2 Greyhound and of course the Tam Tomcat. I guess I've avoided the aircraft until now thinking they are beyond my skill level but over Christmas, to get back into modelling, I've been building a F-14 Eggplane which has taken more time than I expected but I've loved working on. This has now escalated to a 1/32 Tam F-4J on the way tomorrow which is going to be my main project for this year. Yes, I have stash of stuff to build but I'm genuinely excited to get stuck into a big aircraft kit, so much that I bought a bunch on aftermarket stuff to go with it. I picked the kit because it looks great, has great reviews and was only going to be a OTB build but a few tequilas as some online shopping and now have a bunch of resin and brass also.

Well I think that's enough about me to get started and I'll try and get some pics of the Eggplane for the WIP area later.

Real name is Nick, 43 and work in IT

Hi Nick. Have family (lots of them) in Barry and used to spend summer's there as a kid. Whenever I went I used to stock up on kits I couldn't get here (Anything not Matchbox or Airfix...) remember there being a good model shop on the corner of High Street (it was a Greggs bakery last time I looked) around the corner from my aunties house on Broad Street; and before that there was another toy/hobby shop on High street where I got- no ordered-my first Fujimi kit of an E-2C. Still have that model but it's a bit like Triggers brush now... also downstairs in Dan Evans for the Star Wars kits and then into Cardiff for the one in Castle Arcade and around the corner to Beatties. Happy days. 

Enjoy the mad house here. Roy. 

5 hours ago, roym said:

Hi Nick. Have family (lots of them) in Barry and used to spend summer's there as a kid. Whenever I went I used to stock up on kits I couldn't get here (Anything not Matchbox or Airfix...) remember there being a good model shop on the corner of High Street (it was a Greggs bakery last time I looked) around the corner from my aunties house on Broad Street; and before that there was another toy/hobby shop on High street where I got- no ordered-my first Fujimi kit of an E-2C. Still have that model but it's a bit like Triggers brush now... also downstairs in Dan Evans for the Star Wars kits and then into Cardiff for the one in Castle Arcade and around the corner to Beatties. Happy days. 

Enjoy the mad house here. Roy. 

Hey Roy. I kinda guessed Barry Island would prompt memories for many. Really a shadow of what it once was and littered with social housing. Only plus points is regular visiting aircraft practising into Cardiff airport, mostly hercs and weather permitting a annual Red Arrows display above my house. I'm not a true Barry boy having ventured south from the western valleys for work but I do remember the trips to Barry as a kid with my dad and yes visiting some of those models shops. Ended up working with one of the guys that owned one. Now my local shop is in Risca but I can get Vallejo paints at a games shop in Cardiff.

5 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Hello Nick ... :welcome: to the Forum from the USA. :nono:Repeat after me ... Drinking and online shopping do not mix. 😉 Actually im looking forward to seeing your Phantom hopefully you will start a work in progress for it ? 

Dennis

Hey Dennis. Once all the gear has arrived I'll get the WIP thread going.

• Like 1

Alright But !  'ow's it go-in like?....opps slipped into my former self there 😂

Barry Island aye, not only was it a regular haunt as a kid/teenager, I ended up having my leaving do there.  That was for leaving Saints, Wales, and the UK !

Welcome to the forum, I'm a fan of the F-4 and look forward to seeing your work.

Cheers

Gaz 👍