Supermarine Spitfire Mk. I (Tamiya 1/48)

New Tamiya's kit caught my attention on the spot. Supermarine Spitfire Mk. I. Inbox look revealed finely detailed parts, perhaps without all riveting, you may find in Eduard's releases, with delicate panel lines and some details revealing themselves when looked at the angle. This is how it should look in 1/48 scale. I had some dilemma about markings selection, but finally, I decided to go for a plane from No. 19 Squadron (QV N3200) during Operation Dynamo in 1940 with its distinctive underside in aluminium, white and black. Choice of the marking scheme must be made before the construction starts in fact, as some details are specific for the plane selected. I started a build with a cockpit  - so this is what've done so far. Most of the parts are just dry-fitted, as I need to tweak them by drilling lightening holes in the frames and paint before a final assembly. How can I comment on my experience so far? In short:

All hail Tamiya!

S1V6wyg.jpg?1

• Like 7

Wow that cockpit is a thing of beauty! Reminds me of the A6M5 I’m working on, every little detail is there. 

Looks like you’re off to a strong start. Can’t wait to see more as you go along. 

Thanks for sharing!

I think there might be a query regarding the moulding of the crow bar on the pilots access door, I seem to remember that early Spits were supplied without them.

Nice start though.

Box On

Strickers

Looks very nice. Agree about the crowbar. From the late Edgar Brooks, "Fittings, for crowbars, were installed, on the I & II, from February, 1941, and the crowbars, themselves, were factory­fitted from January, 1942 (mods 320 & 483 apply.) I read (somewhere!) that the positioning of the stencils depended on the factory, and the Pilot's notes seem to bear this out, with Spitfires generally having two stencils readable up or down, with Seafires having a single stencil readable from the side. At a model show, many years ago, a man (obviously an ex­pilot) commented to me "All these lovely Spitfire models, but, you know, all the time that I was flying I never saw a red crowbar; green, black, or silver, never red."

• Like 1

Thanks for the remarks and interest. I know about the crowbar, but as I'm planning to use a pilot it would be barely noticeable. Anyway, for the sake of job done well feeling I will remove it. What is interesting when you would do an open canopy, the access door is in two version - with and without a crowbar.

@propforward - just go of it! 😁

Meanwhile, I had finished cockpit. Almost, since dashboard, compass and two other tiny pieces are missing and will be added later. As you (probably) can see I drilled out all lightening holes in the frames as well as in seat support. Pretty useless work as almost NOTHING will be visible 🙃 When I dry-fitted all for the last photo I just LOLed myself. Enjoy!

EzdQr4i.jpg?1

XRkR1tq.jpg?1

dmctnAc.jpg?1

gw3sVsf.jpg?1

• Like 7

On 1/8/2019 at 6:15 AM, HAMP man said:

I think there might be a query regarding the moulding of the crow bar on the pilots access door, I seem to remember that early Spits were supplied without them.

Nice start though.

Box On

Strickers

No crowbars at Dynamo.  If you display it with an open accessdoor, there is an alternative without it provided.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Some unavoidable progress... The cockpit is done, but not fully assembled yet, neither fuselage is closed. This steps will require pilot figure ready as it is not possible to install it later. It is clear now for me why Spitfire required cockpit access door. Sadly virtually none of the nice details will be visible at the end. Oh, one more, after seeing photos I think instrument panel shall be matt, not satin as it is now. Meanwhile...

4ig6MEz.jpg?1

2x3jBBr.jpg?1

yc6ImA9.jpg?1

wYW3kaI.jpg?2

• Like 6

Great progress so far.

As you say, with the pilot in place most of the detail will not be visible, but I don't think that IFF was installed at this stage so the box ( with white disc ) above the undercarriage lever would not have been fitted.

To be really nitpicking, I don't think the signal cartridge rack at the front of the seat would have been there either.

John

• Like 1

Thanks for these remarks, John. I think Tamiya went well ahead with preparation of the next Spitfire versions, that's why there's some mismatch in the cockpit. Signal cartridges will disappear with the pilot seated, as per IFF box - I need to learn to live knowing it shouldn't be there.

• Like 1

I think I'll feel better now. IFF box removed perhaps some more sanding there, but this area is virtually invisible. I need to remove two small holes on the fuselage (visible on the far right) it is the IFF antenna running from about the centre of RAF roundel to the tip of the horizontal stabilizer. 

8GpvF4G.jpg?1

• Like 2

Ok mates. As I removed IFF or, to name it properly, wireless remote contactor I dig a bit in the resources. The result is an addition of another instrument called height & airspeed computor (yes, it is correct spelling). In short, it was a mechanical device with rotating dials to calculate true airspeed. As you may guess that was a navigational tool. It is quite small with 3mm diameter. My apologies for ejector pins, but I decided to leave them, as they will be not visible with pilot inside and canopy closed. And here it goes:

KIb6eP9.jpg?1

The pilot needs some varnishes treatment, which will be done later today and I can close the fuselage.

• Like 3

I thought that the remote contactor box for the Pipsqueak system was fitted in earlier 1940 (but I can't find a date I am afraid).  There is a google reference to a Pipsqueak for Feb 40:

'28/02/40Crashed into North Sea in Spitfire Mk I L1051 went down into the sea, probably between the Outer Dowsing and East Dudgeon lightships, from where the last "pipsqueak" transmission was heard. '

As I understand (not being very knowledgeable about wiggly amps) the Pipsqueak sytem was not really IFF and was separate to the later IFF system brought in in later 1940.  I presume and it is a presumption that the IFF Mk One and II systems had a separate set of switches to the remote controller.

I put these ideas out as I have never been sure about Spitfire IIF boxes and switches, what was on what  AC Type and in what timescale,.  I presume the remote contactor was removed for the IIF Mk  III , but continued until then?  does a Spitifre guru have a firm date for the various kit installations please?  

Also the flare rack was on the Dunkirk era Spitfire P9374.  Which was Aluminium.

The device was technically ready in early 1940, that's correct. However, it had some problems with control of the signal strength control. Here I need to give a very short description of how it worked. The remote contractor was tuned to receive signals from radar station and send them back amplified, so on the radar screens the peak would be easily distinguishable and recognized as a friendly aeroplane. Revised version Mk. II was ready prior to the Battle of Britain, but a limited number of units and busy time with keeping RAF fleet flyable during this hot period of the war shifted its full application towards the end of the heaviest fights. In the case of my Spitfire, I have Dynamo operation version (May/June 1940), and as this plane has been recovered and restored to flying condition, photos show that it has no remote contactor antennas and no fuselage ports to install them - ergo: it was not installed.

• Like 1

Thanks Sleepwalker

Unfortunately I think you are still confusing the IFF system, (which had the two fuselage to tail planes wires and) with the remote contactor Pipsqueak system.

from the Duxford Radio Society Website:

'The RAF Pip-Squeak Fighter Location System as used in the Battle of Britain 1940

Summary

Pip-Squeak was the code word for equipment installed in at least two key aircraft in each RAF Sector Station's Flight or Squadron.

When enabled, Pip-Squeak regularly keyed the Hurricane or Spitfire radio transmitter, usually a TR9D, for 14 seconds every minute, to allow ground-based direction finding stations to take bearings and thereby determine the position of the Squadron Leader's aircraft and hence the general location of his Squadron. '

As I understand the remote contactor operated the Pipsqueak system as an active emitter.  

I also presume that the IFF system is separate from the Pipsqueak system

The good thing is that not all Spitfires would have had one fitted, so your removal of the box is good either way, i.e they weren't fitted as standard during Op Dynamo or if they were your specific aircraft may not have been fitted (as they seem to have been fitted to sqn and possibly section leaders only).

I am looking at your Tamiya build with interest as I have just stumped up and bought one.  It was half price in Japan, which worked out as £1 more than if I bought normally in the UK after import and Royal Mail handling!

Does the new model Tamoya have a better dimensional accuracy than the old one please?  I think the old one was short in the nose foawrad of the firewall and the wings slighlty too far back and a bit too elipitical.  Hopefully the new one doesn't have the same issues.  It looks good in the box and in your build so far.

One name: Spitfire and everything is clear.

Main construction is done. What has left, is some details to be added like radiators, landing gear and propeller, plus other minor parts. But first I need to remove seams from top of the fuselage, particularly at the front where Tamiya totally unclear to me used a separated panel which has to be one with the rest of the engine cowling. Some sanding ahead. 

GfGUzub.jpg?1

Some cockpit shots, as it is nearly invisible now:

xQfFemH.jpg?1

lbx7he4.jpg?1

D6K0wNF.jpg?1

Gyy1Z0r.jpg?1

NccL4El.jpg?1

zl1liAW.jpg?1

Vy8Q3T9.jpg?1

• Like 5