Tornado OSD....

mackem01

I expect they will be gone before the end of the current financial year (5 April). We will probably see a 31 March disbandment of the last unit. I’ve lost track of what is left. Not seen anything about anything special being done to mark the event

I've seen an RAF tweet somewhere that they are going to have a grey/green wrap round camo scheme for a farewell aircraft :)  Now that would be nice

Going to seem weird without them though 😞

Ian 

• Sad 1

I read somewhere as above 31 March. There has to be somebody on here close to Marham & Lossie (if it’s still open).

Steve.

Lossie is still open. The last Tonkas left in March 2017 with the disbandment of 15R sqn, the training unit for the type.

Currenly it is home to 3 sqns of Typhoon FGR4 (1,2 &6) and has been the base for the Nothern QRA since Sept 2014 when the last of the Typhoons left Leuchars

Best memory of Lossie was an airshow in probably 1986 or 1987. Some 16 - 20 Jaguars and Buccaneers spaced around the circuit. First was touching down as the last crossed the threshold above it. Seems like that is the whole RAF these days.

20 hours ago, Redstaff said:

I've seen an RAF tweet somewhere that they are going to have a grey/green wrap round camo scheme for a farewell aircraft :)  Now that would be nice

Going to seem weird without them though 😞

Ian 

Its true. ZG752 has emerged from the Marham paintshop in old school Dark green/DSG wrap around camo with badges for all the RAF users. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...