Airfix 2020

jenko

6 minutes ago, Adam Poultney said:

What about a Nimrod? That's got to be a seller surely, at least in the UK market.

They did that a few years ago...……...…. not the best seller.

Sorry

1/48 Anson

1/48 Beaufighter

Dick

Who lives in view of Hornby and has no flaming idea.

2 minutes ago, jenko said:

They did that a few years ago...……...…. not the best seller.

Sorry

1/48 Anson

1/48 Beaufighter

Dick

Who lives in view of Hornby and has no flaming idea.

I thought the Nimrod as an old kit?

1 minute ago, Adam Poultney said:

I thought the Nimrod as an old kit?

Came out when Hornby took over Airfix

Doesn't time fly...……… :analintruder:

7 minutes ago, jenko said:

They did that a few years ago...……...….

Referring to the Nimrod surely anyone asking for a Nimrod means the 1930's incarnation as seen at many Duxford displays

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Paul821 said:

Referring to the Nimrod surely anyone asking for a Nimrod means the 1930's incarnation as seen at many Duxford displays

And when airfix do the reveal guess what music will be playing...……………………………………  Elgar's Nimrod

Not a dry eye in the house...………...

Dick

• Haha 3

47 minutes ago, Adam Poultney said:

What about a Nimrod? That's got to be a seller surely, at least in the UK market.

The original 2008 kit was not a brilliant seller but, it wasn't a bad kit albeit not detailed to current standards. I would not mind seeing it reissued

Allan

1 hour ago, Work In Progress said:

Literally 300 words saying nothing. Amazing even by Airfix copywriting standards

I think they are taking lessons from politicians, the real experts at saying plenty without telling you anything!😂

Allan

I still stick with the Vulcan or P47.  But take a look at the red background to the question mark on the Airfix workbench announcement. 

https://www.airfix.com/uk-en/news/workbench/phantom-down-and-hellcats-little-brother?

Isn't that a Space Shuttle sprue? That would be big. Very big. 

Just a coincidence probably. But imagine the groans of disappointment if it was. I also think the capitalisd BIG is a red herring. They used it last year too for the Hellcat. Or does that mean a new Spitfire in 1/24th just in time for the BoB anniversary? 

To be honest, I would abandon my self imposed kit buying moratorium to buy a new tool 1/24th Spitfire 1a. I suspect I'm not alone. 

Edited by noelh

That’s a great spot but the sprue layout is identical to their 1/144 Space Shuttle so maybe a repop. I must admit I had never noticed that the shadow sprue graphics on the red top boxes actually are the sprues for the model inside!

Either a graphic background they had on file, a bit of misdirection, or a hint the Shuttle will be rereleased... 

TT

• Like 1

1 hour ago, noelh said:

I still stick with the Vulcan or P47.  But take a look at the red background to the question mark on the Airfix workbench announcement. 

https://www.airfix.com/uk-en/news/workbench/phantom-down-and-hellcats-little-brother?

Isn't that a Space Shuttle sprue? That would be big. Very big. 

Just a coincidence probably. But imagine the groans of disappointment if it was. I also think the capitalisd BIG is a red herring. They used it last year too for the Hellcat. Or does that mean a new Spitfire in 1/24th just in time for the BoB anniversary? 

To be honest, I would abandon my self imposed kit buying moratorium to buy a new tool 1/24th Spitfire 1a. I suspect I'm not alone. 

I wouldn't be happy with a 1/72 shuttle from Airfix, as I feel that there are better things to do. It's a nice looking air/spacecraft so if it was £25 or under I would still be tempted to pick one up in the next few years. 

A new 1/24 Spitfire is sorely needed from Airfix. I would love to see one, but this would likely mean no Vulcan, so the disappointment would be there. I haven't bought any of the 1/24 scale kits as they're just too big and the new ones are too pricey for me. I know the current Spitfire can be gotten at very low prices but it's ancient, and the price doesn't offset the sheer size of the kit.

But I think I could make room for a 1/24 Vulcan 😂

• Haha 2

I do find it somewhat strange that they decided to use the Shuttle sprues instead of the usual Lanc ones.... Can't help but think they are trying to mislead us onto something as it seems too obvious. There are no anniversaries relating to the Space Shuttle in 2020 are there?

Big, a 48th Lancaster would have massive appeal, only competition a 40 year old Tamiya kit with known issues.......

Just my two penneth.

• Like 1

I wonder if Airfix  thought the idea I’ve put on their SMW suggestion slips for the last five or so years was a good one?

I think a 1/6 Avro Lancaster cockpit section could be described as BIG.  I’ve also been asking for a 1/4 sectioned Rolls Royce Merlin.

Those have been my ‘sensible’ suggestions, as I doubt they’ll make my life complete with a 1/35 Hamilcar.😊

5 hours ago, Adam Poultney said:

They've already done it. I'm not sure the market is ready for a re-release; I haven't built one of the five I got (many on deep discount) when the kit was first available. Although, the original decals were crap and a re-release could correct this.

• Like 1