Airfix 2020

jenko

1 hour ago, vppelt68 said:

It's not a very doable idea, the D versions differ in so many parts from the B versions. It's not just the canopies, I'm afraid. V-P

Well it was worth thinking about. Shame it's not doable, I'm not aware of any newer kits of the later Stukas. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Ratch said:

Historically, Airfix's strength was in the breadth of the range. In the current climate of Hornby's financial condition, I understand why Airfix has concentrated on military aircraft to produce easy profit. But the neglect of (in no particular order) cars, ships, figures, civil aircraft, military vehicles and sci-fi has diminished the range to a point where they are becoming a one trick pony. Surely it is time to develop a strategy to broaden the range, not to the detriment of individual genres.

Like 20ish 1/35 AFVS? Albeit reboxes of someone else’s kits, but it introduces a whole new scope for Airfix

Edited by Dave Fleming

And if we work on the concept that the rumour mill has it that it's big and British and we want it to be something other than an aircraft then could that mean a 1/350 kit of HMS Queen Elizabeth/Prince of Wales??? 😜

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Adam Poultney said:

I want to make a bombcorde out of one even if it makes very little sense. 

As long as you're happy with it, that's all the sense you need! 😅

Allan

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Col. said:

As an aside, have you seen how much the old and rare kit is going for!?! :o 

Yes! Frightening isn't it!! 😕

13 hours ago, Denford said:

Not sure if you mean the SA-2 should be 'paired' with an Israeli F-4: 'Dogfigtht Double' would stretch credibility beyond breaking point!

However, so I'm told, that although Airfix still have the SA-2 mold it is too badly damaged to be re-used.

Absolutely! Definitely stretching credibility beyond breaking point but, the original question concerned Airfix producing subjects that were seen in the background on the kit illustrations. 😊

Allan

23 hours ago, Hook said:

These have probably beeen mentioned, but since there's been no sign if them:

1/72nd downscale of the 1/48th Javelin and Sea Vixen, pretty please!

Cheers,

Andre

Airfix list the 1/48 Sea Vixen for reissue, so its unlikely they would at the same time tool a 1/72 version.  However if it's any consolation Freightdog list (though no depiction) a correction nose.  Yes: I know there's more than that is needed, but I suppose 'half a loaf is better than no bread'.

As for the Javelin, the question is always, did the 1/48 sell enough to warrant a downscale?

13 hours ago, Adam Poultney said:

Well it was worth thinking about. Shame it's not doable, I'm not aware of any newer kits of the later Stukas. 

There may not be newer kits but the ones around are quite acceptable: the Fujimi kit is over 20 year old but is still a very good kit while the Italeri offering may not be quite as good but is IMHO still a decent kit. Academy also issued a D but if I remember right there's something wrong with the length of the engine cowling.

Of course the presence of Bs from the same companies didn't prevent Airfix from issuing their kit and they could do the same with the D... however Airfix seem to have followed a different logic with their kits in the last few years: yes to different variants that require only a few different parts (Phantoms, Lightning), yes to totally different variants of the same type that required totally different moulds (Spitfires) but no to different variants where larger different parts are required.

Commercially adding a new variant of an existing subject has pros and cons: of course increases the number of potential buyers, as some may really want a Ju-87D and don't care about a B. At the same time the new variant will "cannibalise" the existing one: a kid who just wants a Stuka may just buy whatever Stuke he can find first in the shop so may buy the new D instead of the older B. Overall this purchase will not add to the potential customer base but will dilute the revenue stream on one single kit. In the end the "bean counters" will have to weigh in all potential new purchases against lost buyers for the existing kit and everything against cost of a new mould and so on... some companies go for multiple variants, others prefer to offer only one variant, there's no clear strategy, depends too much on the way each company operates.

6 minutes ago, Denford said:

Airfix list the 1/48 Sea Vixen for reissue, so its unlikely they would at the same time tool a 1/72 version.  However if it's any consolation Freightdog list (though no depiction) a correction nose.  Yes: I know there's more than that is needed, but I suppose 'half a loaf is better than no bread'.

As for the Javelin, the question is always, did the 1/48 sell enough to warrant a downscale?

They can also look at how well the older 1/72 kit did in terms of sales. True that a new tool will, at least initially, attract more interest but in the longer term it's likely that sales would be similar.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Giorgio N said:

There may not be newer kits but the ones around are quite acceptable: the Fujimi kit is over 20 year old but is still a very good kit while the Italeri offering may not be quite as good but is IMHO still a decent kit. Academy also issued a D but if I remember right there's something wrong with the length of the engine cowling.

Of course the presence of Bs from the same companies didn't prevent Airfix from issuing their kit and they could do the same with the D... however Airfix seem to have followed a different logic with their kits in the last few years: yes to different variants that require only a few different parts (Phantoms, Lightning), yes to totally different variants of the same type that required totally different moulds (Spitfires) but no to different variants where larger different parts are required.

Commercially adding a new variant of an existing subject has pros and cons: of course increases the number of potential buyers, as some may really want a Ju-87D and don't care about a B. At the same time the new variant will "cannibalise" the existing one: a kid who just wants a Stuka may just buy whatever Stuke he can find first in the shop so may buy the new D instead of the older B. Overall this purchase will not add to the potential customer base but will dilute the revenue stream on one single kit. In the end the "bean counters" will have to weigh in all potential new purchases against lost buyers for the existing kit and everything against cost of a new mould and so on... some companies go for multiple variants, others prefer to offer only one variant, there's no clear strategy, depends too much on the way each company operates.

I don't think the two kits would be a huge problem. How long were Airfix selling two versions of their Victor got at the same time, the same with spitfires.

The same could be said for having the same subject in multiple scales. The kid who wants a Stuka is only going to buy one of them. And tbh I think that kind of sale is a very tiny part of their revenue stream.

7 minutes ago, Adam Poultney said:

I don't think the two kits would be a huge problem. How long were Airfix selling two versions of their Victor got at the same time, the same with spitfires.

The same could be said for having the same subject in multiple scales. The kid who wants a Stuka is only going to buy one of them. And tbh I think that kind of sale is a very tiny part of their revenue stream.

I would not bet on this.. the so called "casual" modellers are a large part of the revenue stream for all big manufacturers. If the more "experienced" modellers were the vast majority of the market, then kits like the Airfix or Italeri 1/72 Spitfire IX would have been deleted from the catalogues a long ago, afterall why should a well informed modeller buy any of these kits when an Eduard weekend edition kit is going to be much better in any aspect and cost almost the same?  And yet every year they appear in the catalogue of their respective manufacturers and every year companies like Revell reissue stuff that was already rated obsolete in modelling magazines 20 years ago...

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, RussellE said:

And if we work on the concept that the rumour mill has it that it's big and British and we want it to be something other than an aircraft then could that mean a 1/350 kit of HMS Queen Elizabeth/Prince of Wales??? 😜

1/72 in order to fit the forthcoming F-35B model....

• Haha 2

Still think there must be a new Mossie in the pot somewhere, but I suspect that may be in 1/48.  For no real reason but that is what I suspect.

And an Albert is another that I think will be coming through at one point.

Far more likely than Manchester, York, downsizing the Javelin and Sea Vixen (much as I would love to see that), Beaufort…….

On 20/10/2019 at 18:22, Ratch said:

Historically, Airfix's strength was in the breadth of the range. In the current climate of Hornby's financial condition, I understand why Airfix has concentrated on military aircraft to produce easy profit. But the neglect of (in no particular order) cars, ships, figures, civil aircraft, military vehicles and sci-fi has diminished the range to a point where they are becoming a one trick pony. Surely it is time to develop a strategy to broaden the range, not to the detriment of individual genres.

I believe you have kinda answered you own question to a point "Historically, Airfix's strength was in the breadth of the range".

I stand to be corrected, but I believe I'm broadly correct. Airfix as far as model kits were concerned their apogee was circa 1975/6, in terms of diversity, breadth, range/number and volume of kits available, at that time they were arguably the largest kit manufacturer on the planet. However, the kit market zenith in terms of volume of sales peaked in 1969/70. since that point in time the overall market had been slowly decreasing and Airfix had been growing and diversifying in a shrinking market and that combined with the unforavourable economic conditions of the late '70s, lead to the enevitible in the early '80s for Airfix. My intpretation is, that senario is clearly etched in mind of the current management of the 'rejuvenated' Airfix.

Those that were buying kits back in 1969/70 as youngsters have now come to a stage in their lives were a lot of them have disposable income and some that went away from the hobby have now returned. But, they have returned and are spending in a very different and fragmented market. A bit like the music industry back then, there was only the singles and album charts any kind of music could populate them. Now the there are charts for every single genre of music and music can be recorded 'professionally' by nearly anyone with the will to do so.  Similary the kit market has fragmented too, driven by techonology enabling small companies to produce kits in short runs of either styrene, resin or rapid prototyping et al, in an economic manner with relatively low overheads to satisfy those that have a bit of disposable income.  These manufacturers now have the internet as a cost effective outlet to sell the smallest runs of kits, furthermore in a lot of cases they can do a better job than the larger companies. Now a handful of small manufactures can easily satisfy the niche markets for airliners, figures, sci-fi, ships and AFV markets  - so on, and so on...  It is easy to see why Airfix and perhaps others can't or won't compete with these manufacturers, they don't see it a sustainable business model to do so.

It is therefore understandable why Airfix have a focussed market approach to what they produce. As a casual observer who rarely buys any Airfix kit, they by and large appear to be doing a good job. I just can't see them returning to any significant diversification of product or move away from what they are currently doing now.

Tommo.

Edited by The Tomohawk Kid
  • Like 1

In heady days of Airfix, every High Street had a Woolworths and every Woolworths had a Airfix counter, often with models hanging above it.

I'll guess this was Airfix's major sales outlets (especially to small boys) and with Woolworths now gone..... well, need I say more.

• Like 1

I think Airfix would do well to get more of a high Street presence... Perhaps shops like WHSmiths would be a good sales outlet... Even if it's just starter kits, it's exposure for the brand and an easy way into the hobby for people.

7 minutes ago, Adam Poultney said:

I think Airfix would do well to get more of a high Street presence... Perhaps shops like WHSmiths would be a good sales outlet... Even if it's just starter kits, it's exposure for the brand and an easy way into the hobby for people.

They bought the Modelzone brand and their stock. In their Chester store at least, it was pushed into the basement and died a fairly quick, unnoticed death! Whether Modelzone survives in other stores, I don’t know.

Trevor

29 minutes ago, Adam Poultney said:

To get a range into well know High St shops or supermarkets, the best deal for introducing a new line is sale or return on very poor terms. It is not unheard of for new products placed close to the check out for an impluse buys, which I believe you are suggesting happens - that the manufacturer has to pay for the priveledge intially. If the brand gets established and the sales are good, the sales are reconciled and better rates are negotiated going forward, or the product is taken off sale at detriment to the manufacturer.

Not a market any kit manufacturer should be getting into, not that the outlets would entertain what they would see as wasting space on kits in the first place.

Tommo.

On 10/18/2019 at 6:44 PM, cmatthewbacon said:

My bet would be a new tool 1/72 Vulcan in 2022, released first in a Black Buck 40th Anniversary set with a Victor K.2 and markings for all participating aircraft...

😜

best,

M.

Certainly be a BIG announcement. To be supplied in a gift set Vulcan twenty(?) Victors and a DIY Divorce kit for completeness :D

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

20 minutes ago, Ratch said:

The High Street is being killed by authorities who prefer retail parks.

Well there is that...

Where I live shop after shop is closing due to the extremely high rent and lack of parking and access

35 minutes ago, Ratch said:

The High Street is being killed by authorities who prefer retail parks.

It is quite the opposite now, planning permission is far from favourable for out of town shopping developments. The decline of the high st has more to do with internet.

Tommo.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Denford said:

In heady days of Airfix, every High Street had a Woolworths and every Woolworths had a Airfix counter, often with models hanging above it.

I'll guess this was Airfix's major sales outlets (especially to small boys) and with Woolworths now gone..... well, need I say more.

Woolworths actually funded the development of Airfix 's kits for a period, or so I have read. But Airfix kits were unknown in U.S. Woolworths.

Edited by Space Ranger
Spelling typo.

On 10/20/2019 at 6:22 AM, Ratch said:

Hence Airfix has reboxed a fair number of 1/35 armour kits from Academy this year. I'm guessing this gives them a way to gauge demand without investing a huge amount in new tooling. They would really need to up their game to compete in the 1/350 or 1/700 warship market. Airfix mould quality is not anywhere near that being achieved by companies like Flyhawk, for example. Flyhawk's 1/700 scale ships are exquisite and they are going to be expanding their range to 1/350.