Airfix 2020

jenko

1 hour ago, Albeback52 said:

I would certainly prefer 1/72!😊. I would actually prefer a Vulcan B1A/B1 to a B2. Come to that, I'd prefer a Victor B1/ K1 as well! . I just feel 1/144 is too small.

I don't actually like photo etched parts so, even if these were included in a hypothetical 1/72 kit, I'd bin them! 

Same! Vulcan B1/1a all the way! I think @robvulcan may think similarly as well. As much as the B2 kit is outdated, it builds into a nice model with a bit of effort. We don't have any B1/1a kits in 1/72 at all.

If I ever build a Mikromir Victor again, I'm going to buy a GWH Victor, cut out the Mikromir's airbrakes and cast a copy of the GWH ones to fit to the Mikromir kit. Can't stand the photoetch, although I love the stuff for cockpits. 

1 hour ago, Albeback52 said:

Three Valiant kits to £120 is pretty canned good. I am jealous!😂

It was all 3 Vs, the Vulcan, Victor and Valiant. Don't think I would have gone for 3 Valiants at that point as I prefer the other two.

1 hour ago, roy107 said:

It's reached the point for me that even a reboxing of the Airfix Vulcan almost qualifies it to be added to the stash, since I've accidentally snapped up so many over the years that I think I've got an example of each individual boxing now...cost does become an issue though, because let's face it the Airfix Vulcan isn't an up-to-date kit and I do balk at paying £35 plus for a kit that's as long in the tooth as it is. For a while I set myself a rule of buying any Airfix Vulcan that I saw for less than £20 but I've not seen one for at least 5 years now for that price.

Plus every time they rebox it, it shows us they're not going to retool it :(

I think £20 would be a better price for the kit considering it doesn't even come with decals that can be used on the kit to make an accurate model. You need significant modifications to make 558.

4 hours ago, Albeback52 said:
3 hours ago, Albeback52 said:

Well, I agree with you on the price. This kit will have handsomely repaid it's investment many times over.

Of course, if it still selling well, Airfix can charge what they like because they know people will buy it.

I have not bought one four years because I won't pay a contemporary price for a  36 year old kit. I have three already but, if Airfix does produce a new kit it will probably be unaffordable  ( at least in my present circumstances) but, at least it might mean the old kits will be available cheaper. Funny how you can pick up an equally old 1/72 Victor kit for well under £20

,Allan

People will always buy the Vulcan... And I think that's why it's not far been retooled.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Adam Poultney said:

I think £20 would be a better price for the kit considering it doesn't even come with decals that can be used on the kit to make an accurate model. You need significant modifications to make 558.

My wife is an occasional dabbler in the world of plastic models, and after a couple of summers chasing XH558 around the country she decided she wants to build a model of it. So I bought her the XH558 boxing of the Airfix Vulcan.

Of course, it came with the exhortation "please, at least remove the TFR blister from the nose if you do nothing else!"

Chris

• Like 1

3 hours ago, roy107 said:

It must have become a "cash cow" that Airfix have come to rely on by now, the number of times it gets a rebox. I completely agree that they're asking a lot when they mark it up at contemporary prices when it must have paid back the tooling and R&D cost many times over.

Also agree that any new Vulcan, while exciting, will be £60+ so not exactly something most of us can buy in large quantities. I have just 1 new Airfix Victor, because I can't justify getting both boxings yet - and the Matchbox/Revell Victor can still be built into something that looks like a Victor.

Chris

😂. The Matchbox kit, crude and basic though it may be is certainly every inch a Victor when complete. I think a lot of rubbish is spouted about the kit.

Yes, it isn't an easy build but, in my experience, it is no more difficult than a lot of short run kits.  I do have an Airfix Victor B2 but, only because I got it as a gift. Otherwise, it is unaffordable.

Until my situation improves, I will make do with the Revell /Matchbox kits I also have.

Certainly, I agree a new Vulcan would be nice but, again, at a likely price of£60 +, I will have to pass on it for now. On the other hand, if it means prices of the old kit drop, I will grab a few! 😊. Of course, this is all pure speculation at the moment 😂

Allan.

Edited by Albeback52
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, Adam Poultney said:

@robvulcan

It was all 3 Vs, the Vulcan, Victor and Valiant. Don't think I would have gone for 3 Valiants at that point as I prefer the other two.

I think £20 would be a better price for the kit considering it doesn't even come with decals that can be used on the kit

Apologies! I misinterpreted your comment! 😊. Yes, I reckon £20 a fair price. With regard to the decals, I rather suspect most purchasers aren't really bothered! If I could have spared £120, I would have taken 3 Valiants at that price. When I bought mine a few years back they were "only" £37.99😊

Allan

Edited by Albeback52

6 hours ago, Albeback52 said:

No, I wouldn't be so sure. It probably really is currently out of stock in its present form  and, the " pre order" simply relates to a reboxing of the old tool with new decals.?

I think we are actually looking at a red herring! Airfix is not going to announce a "pre order" for a new kit before it is even announced surely?😉😊. We will find out soon enough!

Allan

I'd love it if it were a double reverse bluff but if I pre-order an 'old tool' and they announce a 'new tool' I am either going to want to cancel my new order or be miffed as hell aren't I so I cant see it....but as you say I guess you're right come three weeks there will be oohs and ahhs of dismay, wrong scale, wrong scheme etc etc whatever they produce from the DFS Experten!

TT

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Adam Poultney said:

My current wish list for 2020:

Vulcan 1/72 (b1 pleeaaasssseee!!!!)

1/72 Mossie

1/72 Manchester

1/72 Ta 152

1/72 Meteor

Bf109G in 1/48, would be nice to get a fairly simple 1/48 109G compared to the high end kits

Vampire/Venom 1/48 

Reissues and new schemes/variants: 

1/72 Valiant (silver, antiflash and camo schemes)

1/72 Lancaster Bii

1/72 Victor pure bomber (antiflash and camo)

1/72 Canberra (bomber variant not PR)

1/48 Javellin (the other tin triangle)

1/72 Spitfire PRXIX 

1/72 Spitfire Mk20

New schemes on most of the smaller kits

I don't think a York would sell that well, but I could see a Manchester given the fact that Airfix have done a Whitley (which I am very tempted by). A lincoln would be great, but I think I'd give that one a pass.

I have to agree there, a Manchester wuld be amazing, although I would like to see the Lanc B.ii on the lineup of rereleases for next year

Yes, Mikromir have one in the works. They have many things being worked on, so releases are somewhat slow. I'm still waiting for their Vulcan B1 they said they'd do.... I want 46 of them!

Mildly disappointing, but it seems better to leave Airliners to the likes of Zvezda who produce some fabulous kits in the scale. 

Surely this all belongs in the Members' Wish List section

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, TEXANTOMCAT said:

I'd love it if it were a double reverse bluff but if I pre-order an 'old tool' and they announce a 'new tool' I am either going to want to cancel my new order or be miffed as hell aren't I so I cant see it....but as you say I guess you're right come three weeks there will be oohs and ahhs of dismay, wrong scale, wrong scheme etc etc whatever they produce from the DFS Experten!

TT

Actually, its  the shrieks of "wrong scale /why this and not that/wrong scheme/wrong version/why no (insert) instead of yet more aeroplanes"! that I enjoy most of all😂😂.

Whatever I may like to see from Airfix doesn't really matter because they always manage to produce something I will buy and, I am content with that

6 minutes ago, Denford said:

Perhaps but, I sometimes think that members wishes and, Airfix's speculative releases are one and the same

Allan

• Like 1

Apparently Tamiya are redoing the Lancaster in 1/48 which explains the recent reissues with new props, painted transparencies and such.

1/48 Wellington perhaps? The Trumpy one has 'issues' I know I've part built one. I'll get it out of the Three Boxes of Doom and mess about a bit on it to make it happen. A 'major' announcement suggests something special IMHO and more than just a release similar to product already out there. Generally Airfix have been pretty honest about big announcements especially since they got over their overstocking issues a few years back.

I can just see it now! 9th November. 11 am. Thousands of people eagerly sitting with baited keyboards! Then at last, the "big" announcement! : " Hi everybody. It gives me great pleasure to announce that we were just winding you up. It gives us endless pleasure watching you all working yourselves into a fever of anticipation. We announce today that there will be no announcement"!

Allan🙄😮😏😜

Ps. OK, I know, I'm a bad man!

Edited by Albeback52
  • Haha 6

I think those of you wanting Airfix to produce a York and/or Manchester should go for a lie down in a darkened room with a damp flannel on your foreheads!

Think about it, how many of Joe Public know about either of those types?  I'll tell you, very, very, very, very, very, very few.  Once Airfix have sold a York or Manchester to you guys and some bloke called Clive and his pet dog Eric, there would be an awful lot of kits left on the shelf!  Likewise the Vulcan B.1 - not many colour scheme variations on that whereas a B.2 sub type many, many more and there's the recent memories of XH558.  Airfix knew what they were doing when they kitted the Mk2 version of the Victor, I think they've got a better idea of the market than most of us!

So stop trying to get Airfix to commit commercial suicide and think more mainstream, another Spitfire, a Harvard, a Mosquito as new tools maybe?  Where Airfix should be clever is filling niches in these types where these exist - Spitfire Vc, long canopied Harvard, twin-stage Mossie for instance.

Step away from cloud-cuckoo land, come towards the light...

• Like 15

Thank you, Dave Flemming, my old man used to serve with the early GR1 RAF Harriers in Germany, Wildenrath early 70's, was just a teenager then, but good memories of those times and seeing the Harriers close up, flying ones and accidents ones! Memory ingrained forever.

Will deffo be keeping an eye out for the Kinetic kit👍

Sorry for not quoting properly.

Edited by One 48
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Denford said:

2 hours ago, Denford said:

Disinformation

I am concerned that this appears to be bullying a member who from his introduction is a 16 year old schoolboy.  Please stop as this is unacceptable.

The Member's wish list is to post what you want somebody to buy you for Christmas so I can't see how Adam's list of what he would love Airfix to produce in the future is relevant to what he wants Santa to leave in his sack.

Before we go about correcting other folks innocent posts, in what is a fun thread (and a BM tradition), where we all get a bit giddy with our speculations, please at least know what you're talking about.   

Sorry to rant, but I found @Adam Poultney's treatment unacceptable amd I hope it hasn't put you off our Forum Adam.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Fatcawthorne said:

I am concerned that this appears to be bullying a member who from his introduction is a 16 year old schoolboy.  Please stop as this is unacceptable.

The Member's wish list is to post what you want somebody to buy you for Christmas so I can't see how Adam's list of what he would love Airfix to produce in the future is relevant to what he wants Santa to leave in his sack.

Before we go about correcting other folks innocent posts, in what is a fun thread (and a BM tradition), where we all get a bit giddy with our speculations, please at least know what you're talking about.   

Sorry to rant, but I found @Adam Poultney's treatment unacceptable amd I hope it hasn't put you off our Forum Adam.

Chill, this is the internet (and my favourite little corner at that). I'm sure he has a reason to doubt my information, after all I can't prove any of it. You only have my word. This is probably the friendliest forum I've found (and I have found some very toxic ones).

Let's all get along and unite in taking our frustrations out on those blasted photoetch parts!

• Like 13

49 minutes ago, Wez said:

I think those of you wanting Airfix to produce a York and/or Manchester should go for a lie down in a darkened room with a damp flannel on your foreheads!

Think about it, how many of Joe Public know about either of those types?  I'll tell you, very, very, very, very, very, very few.  Once Airfix have sold a York or Manchester to you guys and some bloke called Clive and his pet dog Eric, there would be an awful lot of kits left on the shelf!  Likewise the Vulcan B.1 - not many colour scheme variations on that whereas a B.2 sub type many, many more and there's the recent memories of XH558.  Airfix knew what they were doing when they kitted the Mk2 version of the Victor, I think they've got a better idea of the market than most of us!

So stop trying to get Airfix to commit commercial suicide and think more mainstream, another Spitfire, a Harvard, a Mosquito as new tools maybe?  Where Airfix should be clever is filling niches in these types where these exist - Spitfire Vc, long canopied Harvard, twin-stage Mossie for instance.

Step away from cloud-cuckoo land, come towards the light...

I see where you're coming from, but Airfix produce lovely kits of types such as the Wellington, Whitley and B5N1/2. 

The Manchester would fall into this kind of category. 

With regards to Vulcans, I don't think most of the public will even be able to tell you the difference between the two Vulcan Variants. And in fact, the B1 has just as much if not more variation than the B2. You can have straight wings or kinked wings, silver schemes, white schemes and camouflage schemes, you could have a B1 or B1a, one of the aircraft used to test Blue Steel (yes, they carried them, although I believe they were not functional), or even one of the aircraft that tested TSR2 and Concorde engines. It's also better for shelf space due to being significantly less wide. I think even if, as is most likely, they do a B2 it would be possible to tool a number of additional parts to produce both variants.

• Like 2

I don’t normally indulge in the fairy stories peddled on this thread but seeing as two of my recent wish list subjects have been tackled by Airfix (British Phantom and Buccaneer) I’ll pitch in with the remaining two on my list - Puma HC1/2 and C-130 Hercules in 1/72....’cos I just know. 
Remember where you heard it first kids!

• Like 2