Airfix 2020

jenko

Firstly, I've got a cupboard full of kits that will make up into fine models as soon as time permits and have already been spoilt by these, so I acknowledge that I have no right to be asking for any more to be produced for me.

That said, I always enjoy the bit of fun that this thread brings at this time of year and have to make my contribution to get it to 30 pages by Telford.

Others have already pointed out that Airfix only do their 24th scale subjects every few years, but these are the real eye catchers for me.

As I said, I've already got what I wanted, but I'd be very sorely tempted (in fact I'd just have to get the card out again), if I was confronted by brand new, up to date, state of the art,.......

24th scale kits of either the Harrier or Hawk.

What's not to like about these? They've already shown that a Harrier's not too big in 24th, but can you imagine an up to date tooling version? An airshow icon, proven in combat and known to everyone.

Then there's the superb little Hawk trainer. Again, not too big and with all the bells and whistles of an up to date tooling. They are British classics and have 'Airfix' almost written on them.

All the colour schemes: camouflage, grey, gloss black and specials plus weapons fits......and then there's also the Reds.

A new line in state of the art 24th scale figures (resin?) to match would be a perfect complement.

I think they'd sell.

• Thanks 1

Personally I've always wanted to build a Tarrant Tabor, the "Berlin bomber" so aerodynamically unstable that it took a nosedive on its first attempted flight and never even got airborne.

Come on Airfix, you know you want to...

spacer.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

Methinks the V/1500 was the Berlin bomber (well, very nearly).  I don't think the Tabor ever got fast enough for aerodynamics to come into play - the pilot simply opened up the upper throttles too soon.  Simple moments about the undercarriage...  It might have been interesting to find out if the tail actually was big enough to cope in flight, but methinks it just doesn't look large enough.  But it would have been a control problem not a stability one.  Yes S&C did tend to be handled as one discipline even in my time, but getting enough trim is a bit basic.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, P-3s rule said:

Ok, how about injection moulded full kits of 1/72 Avro Lincoln, Avro York, and Avro Manchester (the twin engined ancestor of the Lanc, NOT the biplane) for 2020? I can sell off my resin conversion kits then!

And mainstream kits of the Blackburn Beverley and HS 748/Andover in 1/72 would be welcome to many no doubt.

Good old Mach 2 brought out 1/72 Bristol Britannia and AW Argosy kits, so come on Airfix or Valom................

Isn't Mikro Mir supposed to be doing a 1/72 Avro York?

42 minutes ago, Johnv said:

New tool BAC-111 and Boeing 707-123 both in 1/144 scale.---John

I think your spell checker must be wrong John. You surely meant to type  "both in 1/72" ?😉😂

Allan

ps. On a more serious note, I am sure Airfix announced some time ago that they would neither be retooling their old airliners or, be issuing any new kits in 1/144.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Mancunian airman said:

They already have the fuselage for a Manchester so its just the case of casting the correct engines etc (Airfix should best Contact Neil from Paragon 😜) . . . . . 

They also already have the wings for a Lincoln (Shackleton) and a fuselage awaiting a plug and a new nose (Lancaster).  Of course there is also the option of Shackleton wings and a completely new fuselage but I don’t think a Tudor would be all that commercial.

• Like 1

On 10/10/2019 at 10:50, TEXANTOMCAT said:

BUT.... I still recall at the back of my foggy mind a report that the Avro Lincoln at Cosford was scanned by Airfix some time ago...they wouldnt, would they.....RAF option then Overseas option - Argentina, Australia.... but then people said they'd never see a Shack.....

I know for certain Airfix at least enquired about scanning the Vulcan XL319

• Like 2

On 11/10/2019 at 22:10, Dave Fleming said:

We still await a 1/72 Seafire from a major manufacturer (other than Airfix’s limited edition special issue conversion) Goes along with DH Venom in my ‘why has no-one ever done this’ file

Add a Vulcan B1 to that (ignoring awful the old 50s and 60s toolings)

My current wish list for 2020:

Vulcan 1/72 (b1 pleeaaasssseee!!!!)

1/72 Mossie

1/72 Manchester

1/72 Ta 152

1/72 Meteor

Bf109G in 1/48, would be nice to get a fairly simple 1/48 109G compared to the high end kits

Vampire/Venom 1/48 

Reissues and new schemes/variants: 

1/72 Valiant (silver, antiflash and camo schemes)

1/72 Lancaster Bii

1/72 Victor pure bomber (antiflash and camo)

1/72 Canberra (bomber variant not PR)

1/48 Javellin (the other tin triangle)

1/72 Spitfire PRXIX 

1/72 Spitfire Mk20

New schemes on most of the smaller kits

14 hours ago, P-3s rule said:

Ok, how about injection moulded full kits of 1/72 Avro Lincoln, Avro York, and Avro Manchester (the twin engined ancestor of the Lanc, NOT the biplane) for 2020? I can sell off my resin conversion kits then!

I don't think a York would sell that well, but I could see a Manchester given the fact that Airfix have done a Whitley (which I am very tempted by). A lincoln would be great, but I think I'd give that one a pass.

8 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

So would I, now just thinking about this I reckon a Manchester would sell double what the Lancaster Mk.II did for Airfix. There surely must be a market out there for one of these. 

Cheers. Dave 

I have to agree there, a Manchester wuld be amazing, although I would like to see the Lanc B.ii on the lineup of rereleases for next year

3 hours ago, Albeback52 said:

Isn't Mikro Mir supposed to be doing a 1/72 Avro York?

Yes, Mikromir have one in the works. They have many things being worked on, so releases are somewhat slow. I'm still waiting for their Vulcan B1 they said they'd do.... I want 46 of them!

ps. On a more serious note, I am sure Airfix announced some time ago that they would neither be retooling their old airliners or, be issuing any new kits in 1/144.

Mildly disappointing, but it seems better to leave Airliners to the likes of Zvezda who produce some fabulous kits in the scale. 

Edited by Adam Poultney
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Adam Poultney said:

I don't think a York would sell that well, but I could see a Manchester given the fact that Airfix have done a Whitley (which I am very tempted by). A lincoln would be great, but I think I'd give that one a pass.

I have to agree there, a Manchester wuld be amazing, although I would like to see the Lanc B.ii on the lineup of rereleases for next year

Yes, Mikromir have one in the works. They have many things being worked on, so releases are somewhat slow. I'm still waiting for their Vulcan B1 they said they'd do.... I want 46 of them!

Mildly disappointing, but it seems better to leave Airliners to the likes of Zvezda who produce some fabulous kits in the scale. 

I'd be inclined to agree with you on the York, despite what enthusiasts might think to the contrary.  I'd rather see a Manchester though!

As I have been unable to locate a Mk II Lancaster at anything remotely resembling a sensible price, this is one I'd love to see reissued - along with the Valiant!

I will not personally be buying the Mikromir Vulcan B1. Not in 1/144 anyway.

Allan

I'd be inclined to agree with you on the York, despite what enthusiasts might think to the contrary.  I'd rather see a Manchester though!

As I have been unable to locate a Mk II Lancaster at anything remotely resembling a sensible price, this is one I'd love to see reissued - along with the Valiant!

I'm kicking myself very hard for not buying the Bii when it was avaiable! I managed to get a Valiant back in March, I got very lucky with eBay. I found am 3 Airfix Vs for £120, all sealed in bags still.

A Manchester would be a no questions asked just have, such a good looking aircraft (although the Lanc is nicer).

I will not personally be buying the Mikromir Vulcan B1. Not in 1/144 anyway.

Allan

Would 1/72 sway you? 

I hope it's better than the Victor, especially with its use of photoetch. The Victor has overengineered gear and badly designed, inaccurate photoetch airbrakes. Overall the Victor is a decent little kit, and good for a limited run type kit. I'll be buying most likely 2 Vulcan B1s when they eventually come out, and one more if there's a B1a option.

Speaking of 1/144 I'd like a tiny Lanc kit....

• Like 1

11 hours ago, roy107 said:

Personally I've always wanted to build a Tarrant Tabor, the "Berlin bomber" so aerodynamically unstable that it took a nosedive on its first attempted flight and never even got airborne.

spacer.png

The same guy who designed the Tabor also designed the Barling XNBL-1, which did actually fly.

spacer.png

AL8_Douglas_000255

• Like 2

18 hours ago, roy107 said:

spacer.png

Good morning

I think that such an iconic aircraft should be represented in 1/48 scale and maybe in 1/24 ...

Patrice

• Haha 4

7 hours ago, VMA131Marine said:

The same guy who designed the Tabor also designed the Barling XNBL-1, which did actually fly.

spacer.png

AL8_Douglas_000255

Thats the sort of subject A Model  or Avis would do.

• Like 1

On 10/10/2019 at 10:50 AM, TEXANTOMCAT said:

Well this might nix the Vulcan rumour - I'm sure when I looked the other week the Airfix website had the Vulcan as 'out of stock' now its in 'pre-order' Winter 2019-2020 - I thought maybe they'd left it there as a double bluff when out of stock but it seems highly unlikely they'd be taking pre-orders for the old tool with a new tool coming....

https://www.airfix.com/uk-en/avro-vulcan-b-mk2-xh558-vulcan-to-the-sky-gift-set-1-72.html

So expected 'revised tooks'

TT

No, I wouldn't be so sure. It probably really is currently out of stock in its present form  and, the " pre order" simply relates to a reboxing of the old tool with new decals.?

I think we are actually looking at a red herring! Airfix is not going to announce a "pre order" for a new kit before it is even announced surely?😉😊. We will find out soon enough!

Allan

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Adam Poultney said:

I'm kicking myself very hard for not buying the Bii when it was avaiable! I managed to get a Valiant back in March, I got very lucky with eBay. I found am 3 Airfix Vs for £120, all sealed in bags still.

A Manchester would be a no questions asked just have, such a good looking aircraft (although the Lanc is nicer).

Would 1/72 sway you? 

I hope it's better than the Victor, especially with its use of photoetch. The Victor has overengineered gear and badly designed, inaccurate photoetch airbrakes. Overall the Victor is a decent little kit, and good for a limited run type kit. I'll be buying most likely 2 Vulcan B1s when they eventually come out, and one more if there's a B1a option.

Speaking of 1/144 I'd like a tiny Lanc kit....

I would certainly prefer 1/72!😊. I would actually prefer a Vulcan B1A/B1 to a B2. Come to that, I'd prefer a Victor B1/ K1 as well! . I just feel 1/144 is too small.

I don't actually like photo etched parts so, even if these were included in a hypothetical 1/72 kit, I'd bin them! 

Three Valiant kits to £120 is pretty canned good. I am jealous!😂

I am hoping the Lancaster Mk II does get a reissue.Given the choice between that and a Manchester ( as you say,  very handsome aeroplane), I would go for the Lancaster. However, if BOTH were available.......!😉😀

Allan

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Albeback52 said:

No, I wouldn't be so sure. It probably really is currently out of stock in its present form  and, the " pre order" simply relates to a reboxing of the old tool with new decals.?

I think we are actually looking at a red herring! Airfix is not going to announce a "pre order" for a new kit before it is even announced surely?😉😊. We will find out soon enough!

Allan

It's reached the point for me that even a reboxing of the Airfix Vulcan almost qualifies it to be added to the stash, since I've accidentally snapped up so many over the years that I think I've got an example of each individual boxing now...cost does become an issue though, because let's face it the Airfix Vulcan isn't an up-to-date kit and I do balk at paying £35 plus for a kit that's as long in the tooth as it is. For a while I set myself a rule of buying any Airfix Vulcan that I saw for less than £20 but I've not seen one for at least 5 years now for that price.

Plus every time they rebox it, it shows us they're not going to retool it :(

50 minutes ago, roy107 said:

It's reached the point for me that even a reboxing of the Airfix Vulcan almost qualifies it to be added to the stash, since I've accidentally snapped up so many over the years that I think I've got an example of each individual boxing now...cost does become an issue though, because let's face it the Airfix Vulcan isn't an up-to-date kit and I do balk at paying £35 plus for a kit that's as long in the tooth as it is. For a while I set myself a rule of buying any Airfix Vulcan that I saw for less than £20 but I've not seen one for at least 5 years now for that price.

Plus every time they rebox it, it shows us they're not going to retool it :(

Well, I agree with you on the price. This kit will have handsomely repaid it's investment many times over.

Of course, if it still selling well, Airfix can charge what they like because they know people will buy it.

I have not bought one four years because I won't pay a contemporary price for a  36 year old kit. I have three already but, if Airfix does produce a new kit it will probably be unaffordable  ( at least in my present circumstances) but, at least it might mean the old kits will be available cheaper. Funny how you can pick up an equally old 1/72 Victor kit for well under £20

,Allan

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Albeback52 said:

Well, I agree with you on the price. This kit will have handsomely repaid it's investment many times over.

Of course, if it still selling well, Airfix can charge what they like because they know people will buy it.

I have not bought one four years because I won't pay a contemporary price for a  36 year old kit. I have three already but, if Airfix does produce a new kit it will probably be unaffordable  ( at least in my present circumstances) but, at least it might mean the old kits will be available cheaper. Funny how you can pick up an equally old 1/72 Victor kit for well under £20

,Allan

It must have become a "cash cow" that Airfix have come to rely on by now, the number of times it gets a rebox. I completely agree that they're asking a lot when they mark it up at contemporary prices when it must have paid back the tooling and R&D cost many times over.

Also agree that any new Vulcan, while exciting, will be £60+ so not exactly something most of us can buy in large quantities. I have just 1 new Airfix Victor, because I can't justify getting both boxings yet - and the Matchbox/Revell Victor can still be built into something that looks like a Victor.

Chris

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Aeronut said:

They also already have the wings for a Lincoln (Shackleton) and a fuselage awaiting a plug and a new nose (Lancaster).  Of course there is also the option of Shackleton wings and a completely new fuselage but I don’t think a Tudor would be all that commercial.

Ha.  Like the real thing.

• Haha 1