Airfix 2020

jenko

1 hour ago, Wez said:

Also don't expect Airfix to get anywhere near an F-35 with a LIDAR machine, there's a reason why all of the previous F-35 kits have had inaccuracies, they've been made to published data with all of the errors and omissions that brings. 

There's no shortage of multi-angle walk-around and close-up footage of the F-35Bs on QE in the documentary series that's showing on the BBC at the moment if Airfix wanted to do it the old-fashioned way. Equally there must be accurate if not fully detailed 3D CAD models of the aircraft used for things like designing the hangar space and tie downs that have the potential to be shared with a model company without giving away state secrets...

best,

M.

9 minutes ago, cmatthewbacon said:

Equally there must be accurate if not fully detailed 3D CAD models of the aircraft used for things like designing the hangar space and tie downs

You don't need that level of detailed to work those things out, essentially a space model and the footprint would do.

Edited by Wez

1 hour ago, Adam Poultney said:

Perhaps someone with all the right clearances and stuff could operate the LIDAR equipment and not let Airfix near the data until anything sensitive was removed.

And aren't there accurately shaped mockups in existence that could be LIDARed? 

You're missing the point, it's not about sensitive equipment, it's about the shape and profile of the aircraft, the thickness of coatings and subtleties of panels, the very stuff modellers would want reproduced are the very things that may be prohibited from being scanned.  It's that data that Airfix would need to reproduce an accurate kit.

There maybe mock-ups but they wont necessarily be accurate or to the latest in-service standard.

I appreciate that this is a fantasy thread but sometimes people need to take a reality check.

All that said I could be totally wrong but personally, I think it will be a very long time before Airfix get their mitts on an F-35 to measure it and record it to the standard they need.

6 hours ago, stever219 said:

I can’t believe that NATO/SACEUR wouldn’t have allocated only a single weapon to each WarPac target of significance so my surmise is that the Super Gnat pilots would, despite any assurances to the contrary by their commanders and politicians, have been on one-way missions simply because of the likelihood of becoming a “friendly fire” statistic.

They just might have done. I recall reading (in the Air Vanguard on the F-105, I think) that one Thunderchief pilot was tasked, in the event of a war against China, with dropping his first nuclear weapon on a particular Chinese airport and then carrying on to drop the second one on another target. After that, his instructions were to fly out to sea on a specified heading until he encountered a US destroyer, when he was to eject and be retrieved from the sea. The plan seems a tad optimistic.

2 hours ago, trickydicky210 said:

maybe Airfix will do this...  in 1/48th

https://www.adamtooby.com/product-page/hp-hampden-hampden-force

Adam has already done the artwork 🙄

Well, that's the boxart done, all we need now is the tooling!  I wish!  If they can do a Blenheim in 1/48, why not a Hampden?

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Dave Fleming said:

The problem with the Nimrod was a lot of retailers were expecting TSR2 levels of interest (with it being a limited run) and over ordered

Not exactly wanting to start the ‘discussion’ again, however wasn’t this the opposite of what’s just happened to the “Motörhead” He 111? Airfix release a short run kit to move old stock, then get blasted for not testing the potential demand through their retailers? Seems like some old wounds are still open from that old Nimrod experiment and in their eyes perhaps the Motörhead kit may have gone the same way? 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1

• Julien locked this topic

This has gone over 40 pages now and is not really a rumour thread anymore, more of an I want thread, 

If anyone gets any rumours then feel free to start a thread on them.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1