Airfix 2020

jenko

7 minutes ago, Paul H said:

As much as I would love to see a modern tooling Vulcan, that the current 1:72 one is about to be re-released seems to be pretty conclusive proof that the 'big'announcement is not a new Vulcan, unless of course it is in a different scale...  A 1:48 scale Vulcan (616mm in length with a 631mm wingspan) would be a similar size to what I guess is Airfix's largest model, the 1:24 de Havilland Mosquito (length 565mm, wingspan 688mm).  Have aircraft kits in that size range been big enough sellers to make that kind of a big announcment likely?

The 1/24th MOSQUITO has been a big seller and is reportedly the biggest earner for Airfix (Bigger margins i guess)

I would never say never on what Airfix have lined up - i have a feeling that they were still selling the old tool lanc when the new one was announced. And if it is a vulcan, then we will probably not see it to this time next year.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Adam Poultney said:

If Airfix don't do a new Vulcan soon someone else will do one...... 

Of course that's always a possibility.

But, why have Airfix had the 1/72 Vulcan monopoly for the thick end of 40 years?  Why has another manufacturer not muscled in on Airfix's scene and mined this rich seam? 

Its clear why Airfix are reticent to produce a new kit, they have a product that sells that they don't have to invest into in any great extent. However, something is holding back the other manufactures.

I don't know the answers, but I do find it strange.

Removing tongue from cheek.

Tommo.

Edited by The Tomohawk Kid
  • Like 3

57 minutes ago, trickydicky210 said:

i have a feeling that they were still selling the old tool lanc when the new one was announced.

This is a complicated story. The 08002 Lancaster B.III last appeared in the catalogue in 2008. The 08004 Lancaster B.III Special had been retired the year before (2007). The 08007 Lancaster B.III G for George was re-issued with the second tool in 2005 and was withdrawn in 2013. The A50061 Dam Buster Special 'Themed Collection' ran from 2009 to 2012.

The A08001 Lancaster B.II, A09007 Lancaster Dambuster and A50138 Dambuster Gift Set were all released in 2013 with the A08013 Lancaster B.I (F/E)/B.III issued the following year (2014). So there was some crossover with the Dambuster, but a 6 year gap in the B.IIIs and Airfix had not made a B.II previously. Of course, if you disregard the variants there was no gap.

I think that Airfix realised that old stock tended to hang around if a new one was issued too quickly, and look for a gap to make a clean break with a new release - hence my 1/72 Mosquito prediction.

I'd like to think so - Mosquito prediction - but several pages back a new Ju88 was a 'hot tip'

Were that to be, I feel it unlikely they would release any other WWll bomber twin at the same time, so no Hampden, Beaufort, Boston, or Mosquito.  Not for a while at least.

2 hours ago, The Tomohawk Kid said:

Its clear why Airfix are reticent to produce a new kit, they have a product that sells that they don't have to invest into in any great extent. However, something is holding back the other manufactures.

That hasn't stopped them with other subjects  - 1/48th Spitfire, 1/72 Lancaster, Spitfire etc. In fact the fact a kit is a continual seller shows there is a market for that, plus all the extra sales a new version will engender. I suspect it's much more they had greater priority kits on their timetable (Victor. Shackleton etc)

I think the niche aspect of it is why we haven't seen it before - it's a subject with limited international appeal

• Thanks 1

But, why have Airfix had the 1/72 Vulcan monopoly for the thick end of 40 years?  Why has another manufacturer not muscled in on Airfix's scene and mined this rich seam? 

Tommo.

Then again, for a long time the only injection molded Shackleton was the 1970s FROG kit and then Airfix and Revell both produced new tool Shackletons within a year of each other. If the decision as to what kits to produce is being substantially driven by market research then it shouldn't be too surprising when more than one company decides to produce a particular kit.

Tommo.

The Hornby product development team did a lot of new research to produce the Corgi 1/72 Vulcan. The appearance of that model suggested to me that a new Airfix kit would likely be coming in the near future, That said, there are quite a few models in the Corgi aircraft range that don't have an equivalent Airfix kit, even where it would seem to be a good idea.

Tommo.

Which other manufacturers did you have in  mind?

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Denford said:

Historic now of course but I would've thought Matchbox would have been a prime candidate. After all, they gave us the Victor.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dave Fleming said:

That hasn't stopped them with other subjects  - 1/48th Spitfire, 1/72 Lancaster, Spitfire etc. In fact the fact a kit is a continual seller shows there is a market for that, plus all the extra sales a new version will engender. I suspect it's much more they had greater priority kits on their timetable (Victor. Shackleton etc)

I think the niche aspect of it is why we haven't seen it before - it's a subject with limited international appeal

I’ve been holding for a new tool Vulcan. I want it to round out my V bomber force but I can be patient. 

Tim

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Denford said:

Maybe Revell (Germany ) and Italeri? The largest European manufacturers to name but two.

I don't personally know either why nobody else has produced a 1/72 Vulcan. They will of course have what they presumably consider valid reasons. Maybe they don't believe it has much sales appeal outside the UK?

Allan

• Like 1

Just now, Albeback52 said:

Maybe Revell (Germany ) and Italeri? The largest European manufacturers to name but two.

I don't personally know either why nobody else has produced a 1/72 Vulcan. They will of course have what they presumably consider valid reasons. Maybe they don't believe it has much sales appeal outside the UK?

Allan

Wouldn't be surprised at either of them. They're not afraid to touch large bomber aircraft in 1/72.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Adam Poultney said:

Wouldn't be surprised at either of them. They're not afraid to touch large bomber aircraft in 1/72.

Especially as Italeri has produced two kits of the Short Stirling. Another item for which Airfix had hitherto produced the only other1/72 kit

Allan

Especially as Italeri has produced two kits of the Short Stirling. Another item for which Airfix had hitherto produced the only other1/72 kit

Allan

Yes, and the Sunderland I believe. 

I was more thinking of their XB-70, which I think it's significantly larger than the V Bombers, at least in terms of length

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Adam Poultney said:

Yes, and the Sunderland I believe. 

I was more thinking of their XB-70, which I think it's significantly larger than the V Bombers, at least in terms of length

About 30" long. Although it was actually an AMT  original. Bit of a challenge to build but, quite spectacular when completed

Allan

• Like 1

About 30" long. Although it was actually an AMT  original. Bit of a challenge to build but, quite spectacular when completed

Allan

I would love one, possibly a what-if production aircraft...

2 hours ago, roy107 said:

Historic now of course but I would've thought Matchbox would have been a prime candidate. After all, they gave us the Victor.

Matchbox were all but finished in 1979 when Lesney took them over. The Airfix Vulcan first came out in 1983. Why didn't Matchbox do a Valiant either.

Edited by Ratch
date correction
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Adam Poultney said:

I would love one, possibly a what-if production aircraft...

Kit is still readily available. I got one last year for about £37. You get a lot of plastic for your money. Parts count is modest but, I don't mind that.

Fit of  parts is, well, challenging! 😅. However, worth it I reckon. It is a gorgeous looking aircraft. Guess it won't be in the Airfix list though! 😕

Allan.

• Like 1

Well we'll soon see. I've already suggested the P47 but thinking 'Big'. What about a C17? That's big. A bit unlikely perhaps. Maybe too big, same goes with the QE carrier. 

I'd be surprised if it was an F35 but I do believe Airfix will produce one eventually. 

Another week of speculation ahead. 

Edited by noelh

The question of why no other manufacturer has turned their attention to a 1/72 Vulcan would probably be cost. Imagine if one of the far east companies did one the cost would be going towards the £75-£100 mark after import costs. The only other company would be Revell as they seem to have a thing with Avro aircraft as well.

Anyway under a week to go!

Regards

Robert

51 minutes ago, Robert said:

The question of why no other manufacturer has turned their attention to a 1/72 Vulcan would probably be cost. Imagine if one of the far east companies did one the cost would be going towards the £75-£100 mark after import costs. The only other company would be Revell as they seem to have a thing with Avro aircraft as well.

Anyway under a week to go!

Regards

Robert

The Far East manufacturers care little if their products end up being too expensive in our Countries, whatever price they decide on it's a price that they believe would be acceptable in their main markets, and for many of them Europe is not an important market.

The question is if any of these manufacturers consider a 1/72 Vulcan the kind of kit that would sell enough in their main markets ! And the same applies to the European markets.

With the old Airfix kit already in the shops, there also the matter o understanding if the market is big enough for 2 kits of the Vulcan. The fact that Airfix has kept the Vulcan in production for many years means that there is sure room for one kit, but 2 ?

9 minutes ago, Giorgio N said:

The Far East manufacturers care little if their products end up being too expensive in our Countries, whatever price they decide on it's a price that they believe would be acceptable in their main markets, and for many of them Europe is not an important market.

The question is if any of these manufacturers consider a 1/72 Vulcan the kind of kit that would sell enough in their main markets ! And the same applies to the European markets.

With the old Airfix kit already in the shops, there also the matter o understanding if the market is big enough for 2 kits of the Vulcan. The fact that Airfix has kept the Vulcan in production for many years means that there is sure room for one kit, but 2 ?

I'd say it is big enough for two kits, the popularity of the very old kit, and not just with V bomber fans, shows that. 

And for certain it now is. 

The Victor has made the Matchbox one obsolete and completely outsells it, but Revell still produce the old one. In 1/144, there are now two Vulcan kits (GWH and the upcoming Trumpeter one) and two Victor kits (GWH and Mikromir). 

I'm pretty agnostic with regards to Airfix, I don't have any brand loyalty or emotional attatchment to them and they very rarely produce any thing I want. However, on the other hand I recognise that a bouyant Airfix is good for the hobby. I believe this does allow me to stand back a bit, with a little more perspective and I can view it from perhaps more of a business venture view point.

12 hours ago, trickydicky210 said:

i have a feeling that they were still selling the old tool lanc when the new one was announced. And if it is a vulcan, then we will probably not see it to this time next year.

If your replacing a kit thats been in your range for a while, there is always going to be residual stock around somewhere in the supply chain. However, that is entirely different from shooting a whole brand new run of the existing kit. Which will have some cost to get it to market, take up warehouse space and all the other attendant costs.

Never mind teeing off your supply chain - announcing a new version of the kit after they have taken orders for the re-issue. It just makes no sense, wasting all that investment and goodwill, particulary given Hornby's current financial predictiment. I just can't their senior management allowing such a move.

As to the time frame, 9 to 12 months to shift the re-issued stock perhaps? Followed by a fallow period?

9 hours ago, Denford said:

Any, with the financial clout to enable its development and manufacture.

9 hours ago, VMA131Marine said:

The Hornby product development team did a lot of new research to produce the Corgi 1/72 Vulcan. The appearance of that model suggested to me that a new Airfix kit would likely be coming in the near future,

There is certainly no harm getting some of the development/design work done parked up on the shelf ready to go if that your long term intention. Isn't that what happened with the 1/24 Hellcat?

3 hours ago, Adam Poultney said:

I'd say it is big enough for two kits

If thats the case, why has another manfacturer not entered the fray in the last 40 years? I would say its a big investment and despite it being a popular notion on here, the market is clearly limited. The current kit is able to service that limited market without Airfix or any one else having to dip into their capital reserves.

Will Airfix replace it? Probably, but not quite yet I venture, as viewed from my slightly distanced hill top

Tommo.

Edited by The Tomohawk Kid