Airfix 2020

jenko

10 hours ago, Adam Poultney said:

Not for me though, it's grey and boring. I'd rather stick to the aircraft of the past like the Vulcan or various Luftwaffe subjects

It’s so grey, even the Israelis haven’t given it camo on the upper surfaces!

A QE is an interesting thought, didn’t someone do a one-off on their behalf for presentation to the Captain of the ship?

And who says the ‘big’ kit has to be an aircraft. How about re tooling their 1/12 Bentley Blower - doesn’t that qualify as BIG?

Trevor

10 hours ago, Adam Poultney said:

Not for me though, it's grey and boring. I'd rather stick to the aircraft of the past like the Vulcan or various Luftwaffe subjects

Agreed. I have a built in aversion for boring grey jets. The only thing the F-35  in particular does for me is to induce yawns!😉

Don't do boring grey aircraft as a matter of principle! When I finally get round to it, even my Revell A-400 kit will be in the old RAF "sand and stone" finish!

Allan 

• Like 2

I’m going to go out on a limb and predict that the “BIG” announcement will be a 1/350 Queen Elizabeth, with a 1/700 version and a 1/72 F-35B. That way, Airfix will own sales of our most significant military hardware for the next 30 years. The “my Mum/Dad/Brother/Sister works/ed on that” market would be quite large as well...

best,

M.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Max Headroom said:

A QE is an interesting thought, didn’t someone do a one-off on their behalf for presentation to the Captain of the ship?

Dave Coventry, Trevor. It just happens he's building another one:

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/airfixtributeforum/scratchbuilt-1-350-hms-prince-of-wales-r09-waterli-t53546.html

10 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

I thought it was the Hasegawa kit not the Academy one?  Personally, I'd rather buy a kit without the added pe and masks, not quite so sure about the book.

Eduard have,somewhat confusingly, released both Academy and Hasegawa B-24 kits.

Academy came 1st with the D boxing called 'Mission Centenarians' and the J being 'Liberating Beauties'.

The Hasegawa re-boxes focused on Coastal Command with the D kit labelled 'Riders in the Sky 1944' and the J 'Riders in the Sky 1945'. Eduard also offered their usual selection of overtrees for the Hasegawa too.

Edge

11 hours ago, Giorgio N said:

The Eduard kit may be expensive but it's also a special package that includes a number of accessories that a standard Airfix kit does not include. What would be the price of an Airfix kit with the inclusion of PE parts, masks and a book ?

The basic Academy B-24 in my corner of the world costs pretty much the same as the Airfix B-17, so it's not particularly expensive

I'd be quite happy to buy the kit without the extras, to be honest.

2 hours ago, Albeback52 said:

Agreed. I have a built in aversion for boring grey jets. The only thing the F-35  in particular does for me is to induce yawns!😉

Don't do boring grey aircraft as a matter of principle! When I finally get round to it, even my Revell A-400 kit will be in the old RAF "sand and stone" finish!

Allan 

I've been planning on Luftwaffe Green/Grey for mine, like a Transall C-160. I suppose as per the option that comes in the box.

I don't object to grey in moderation but there are certainly better schemes to paint an aircraft in. I've shied away from getting an F-35 for a variety of reasons but the lack of interesting colour schemes is certainly one of them.

That said, I do enjoy What-Ifs so an ETPS raspberry ripple F-35 could be interesting. Or an ETPS A-400M! Now that gives me ideas.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, vppelt68 said:

PE no, but in most cases I´d be happy to have the masks included in the kit. I believe we pay 2-3 times their actual price in having to buy them separately. But that has very little to do with specifically topic "Airfix 2020" :winkgrin:. V-P

Maybe Airfix's BIG announcement is including masks in their kits :D

• Haha 2

54 minutes ago, roy107 said:

I've been planning on Luftwaffe Green/Grey for mine, like a Transall C-160. I suppose as per the option that comes in the box.

I don't object to grey in moderation but there are certainly better schemes to paint an aircraft in. I've shied away from getting an F-35 for a variety of reasons but the lack of interesting colour schemes is certainly one of them.

That said, I do enjoy What-Ifs so an ETPS raspberry ripple F-35 could be interesting. Or an ETPS A-400M! Now that gives me ideas.

How about this for an idea? Remember the old Hercules W2? How about an A-400 W2. I like your idea of the ETPS A-400. It would of course have to be in the lovely "raspberry ripple"finish!😊

Allan

Sudden thought, a new Vulcan would look gorgeous in that red,blue and white scheme!😊

Edited by Albeback52
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Albeback52 said:

Remember the old Hercules W2? How about an A-400 W2.

That's an excellent idea! That said, I really should get a Herc and add a W2 to the "one day" list. It even has a family connection so now I'm kicking myself for not thinking of it sooner. Might have to look into getting a couple of Zvezda C-130s when they're released next year.

Unless Airfix' big announcement at Telford is a C-130 of course. As the arguments are all showing that it won't be a Vulcan I'd take another C-130 in 1/72.

Or instead of a Vulcan and a C-130, a Shorts Sperrin.

3 hours ago, Adam Poultney said:

Maybe Airfix's BIG announcement is including masks in their kits :D

Not if they want to avoid getting lynched by several thousand disappointed modellers: as a BIG announcement that would be the dampest of damp squibs.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, Adam Poultney said:

I would like it if they did... I feel Airfix could really up their game by doing things like that... More schemes, masks, etc...

Masks would be good, but I think most of their customers would like Airfix to up their game by getting their quality control sorted first.

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, Gorby said:

Masks would be good, but I think most of their customers would like Airfix to up their game by getting their quality control sorted first.

That would be very nice as well...

18 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

I suspect that the software is capable of whatever tolerance it is asked to provide, but the reason for the problem is in the hands of those telling it what to do.

True, but requirements for tooling design and injection molding also come into play.

3 minutes ago, Space Ranger said:

True, but requirements for tooling design and injection molding also come into play.

I entirely agree, but other manufacturers can produce parts that fit almost seemlessly without the problems that can be experienced on some recent Airfix kits.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, roy107 said:

That's an excellent idea! That said, I really should get a Herc and add a W2 to the "one day" list. It even has a family connection so now I'm kicking myself for not thinking of it sooner. Might have to look into getting a couple of Zvezda C-130s when they're released next year.

Unless Airfix' big announcement at Telford is a C-130 of course. As the arguments are all showing that it won't be a Vulcan I'd take another C-130 in 1/72.

Or instead of a Vulcan and a C-130, a Shorts Sperrin.

Would you settle for an Avro Type 730 instead of the Short Sperrin ? 😂😂😉

2 hours ago, VMA131Marine said:

I think they should actually do this.

I normally avoid masks because I think they are poor value for money and, in some cases they can actually cost as much as something like a series 1 Airfix model kit.

That said, I consider this a good idea. The economies of scale involved in mass production would probably ensure that the masks would add little to the cost of the kit

Allan

1 minute ago, Albeback52 said:

Would you settle for an Avro Type 730 instead of the Short Sperrin ? 😂😂😉

Someone mentioned a sperrin? The fourth V Bomber? Give me 2! Or 4 so I can What-If them!

2 minutes ago, Albeback52 said:

I normally avoid masks because I think they are poor value for money and, in some cases they can actually cost as much as something like a series 1 Airfix model kit.

That said, I consider this a good idea. The economies of scale involved in mass production would probably ensure that the masks would add little to the cost of the kit

Allan

Making your own mask can be tedious and not everyone is that good at it, if it didn't increase the cost of the kit I think it could very well help to boost sales on kits with awkward or particularly tedious masking (Zero, Bf110, Lancaster, He111, etc).

• Like 1

Just now, Adam Poultney said:

Someone mentioned a sperrin? The fourth V Bomber? Give me 2! Or 4 so I can What-If them!

Making your own mask can be tedious and not everyone is that good at it, if it didn't increase the cost of the kit I think it could very well help to boost sales on kits with awkward or particularly tedious masking

Well, that's certainly true, it can be tedious and time consuming but, patience is a virtue...... 😉😊.

Some manufacturers already include them so, I think it is a practical idea. I actually have a pair of Revell Lockheed Ventura kits which were issued with masks provided

Allan

11 minutes ago, Adam Poultney said:

Making your own mask can be tedious and not everyone is that good at it,

I've just made some for a relatively simple Zlin 142 and while rewarding, it's no fun when the paint wicks under your Tamiya tape.

Apparently I need stickier tape before I tackle the 30+ individual masks on a Fairey Fulmar.

• Confused 1