Airfix 2020

jenko

17 minutes ago, RichG said:

On that basic premise I'll offer my contribution... After last year's (surprise) Telford revelation, I'd go for this year's most likely BIG announcement being a large aircraft in 1/72; probably post war and in British service. Overlooking more idiosyncratic transport types, to me this suggests a short list of: Lincoln, Washington, Vulcan or Hercules;  with Canberra as an outsider. I genuinely expected a new Vulcan this year but now seems unlikely if Airfix is taking pre-orders for the existing kit.  So my suggested new tool list (not my wish list...) for 2020 is:

1/72

Boeing Washington B1 / B-29 

Sepecat Jaguar GR1

North American T-6 / Harvard

de Havilland Mosquito IV/VI

Republic P-47 Thunderbolt

1/48

Westland Lysander

Incidentally my Airfix new tool wish list (in case they are reading) would actually be 

1/72:

Vulcan B2

HP Hastings C1/C2/T5

Canberra B2/B(I)6

Vickers Valetta C1/2   (thanks Valom :whistle:)

Bristol Belvedere HC1

Javelin FAW9

Hercules C1

1/48:

Apache AH1

Meteor NF11/12/13

Harrier GR9

Only 2 weeks (or 2 months) and we'll know - one way or another...🙂

Rich

I still suspect the Vulcan will come, but I would guess release would be between October and December. I imagine Airfix will want to sell off the last kits that they have of the old one if they're releasing a new one.

I would definitely be happy with a Washington (B29) but a tad disappointed because that would mean no Vulcan...

Being sensible...………………………………………….. Ok no sarky  comments :bleh:

1/48

Naval Hunter

Another version of the Mustang

Seafire 17 reissue

T11 Vampire

mk18 Spitfire

Phantom or Buccaneer

Dick 

Edited by jenko
old age and lack of brain cells
  • Like 2

Any chances of getting a 1:48 A-4B/P Skyhawk from Airfix? I'd really like a more readily available model, rather than having to pay stratospheric prices for the Hobbycraft kit.

Edited by Sturmovik

1 hour ago, Sturmovik said:

Any chances of getting a 1:48 A-4B/P Skyhawk from Airfix? I'd really like a more readily available model, rather than having to pay stratospheric prices for the Hobbycraft kit.

If Airfix was smart, they would just buy bagged shots from Hasegawa and stick them in a red box with updated decals and instructions. While they’re at it, they could include the A-4L parts as well.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, VMA131Marine said:

If Airfix was smart, they would just buy bagged shots from Hasegawa and stick them in a red box with updated decals and instructions. While they’re at it, they could include the A-4L parts as well.

The Hasegawa A-4 whilst a good kit has plenty of room for improvement.

The slats, poor fitting speedbrakes, intakes and tail inserts are just a few areas that can be improved on 

13 hours ago, iainpeden said:

Going back to the discussion around box art giving a clue, it's obvious that an F-4J will be announced. Popular and readily available to LIDAR.

Actually and, with all due respect, I don't think it is obvious at all. I think it's more wishful thinking but, that is,after all, half the fun of this discussion!😀

No doubt the nay sayers will point to the multiple options available elsewhere but, with other companies churning them out like sausages, why not Airfix? 

It's a good choice of subject and, undoubtedly a very popular one. My preference would personally be for the long nosed E/F/G variants. 

I guess Airfix could produce multi option kits for the short nosed Phantoms?

Allan

6 hours ago, Calum said:

The Hasegawa A-4 whilst a good kit has plenty of room for improvement.

The slats, poor fitting speedbrakes, intakes and tail inserts are just a few areas that can be improved on 

And the fact that’s it is 1/68 scale......edit oh thought you were talking about the 1/72 ☺️

Edited by PhantomBigStu

7 hours ago, VMA131Marine said:

That is a good idea. I am in fact hoping that, with the importing/ repackaging of some of the Academy range that Airfix might extend this to other subjects/ ranges.

Allan

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PhantomBigStu said:

And the fact that’s it is 1/68 scale......

Never knew that. Thanks

Dick

37 minutes ago, PhantomBigStu said:

And the fact that’s it is 1/68 scale......edit oh thought you were talking about the 1/72 ☺️

IIRC the fuselage is, while the wings are of the correct span.. that makes the whole model look weird. The two-seaters are better as the new fuselage was designed of the correct length.

18 hours ago, jenko said:

Being sensible...………………………………………….. Ok no sarky  comments :bleh:

1/48

Naval Hunter

Another version of the Mustang

Seafire 17 reissue

T11 Venom

mk18 Spitfire

Phantom or Buccaneer

Dick 

T11 Venom?  🤔

12 minutes ago, Meatbox8 said:

T11 Venom?  🤔

vampire maybe?

On the big announcement:   Its got to have a bit of a wow factor - in the past we have had 1/24 Typhoon & 1/24 Hellcat, 1/72 Phantom, 1/72 Victor and when they annouced LIDAR - we had the HE111, Defiant & Sea King (3 new tools)

Still hoping for a new 1/24 Spitfire Mk 1A

Rich

41 minutes ago, Meatbox8 said:

T11 Venom?  🤔

Doh………………… will airfix produce a full size brain ??? If so I'm up for one !!

Vampire

Fangs for that Meatbox :cheers:

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Meatbox8 said:

How about this for a big announcement.  A 1/24th scale F-35B. 617 Squadron.  Actually, would LIDAR work on it?

I don't think anybody is going to get close enough to that airplane with a LIDAR scanner, even if it would work. Too sensitive.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Space Ranger said:

I don't think anybody is going to get close enough to that airplane with a LIDAR scanner, even if it would work. Too sensitive.

It’s that ugly it would break the LIDAR machine.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

We now know it is a BIG announcement which tell me we are going to have a large aircraft. Be it either in 1/24 1/48 or 1/72. so we are either looking at a small scale large aircraft or a large scale small aircraft

Airfix have for the past 6-7 years released what I would call a flagship release for the year.

2019 we had the Hellcat

2018 The Hunter/Blenhiem couldn't confirm the flagship issue for that year

2017 The Phantom

2016 The Victor

2015 The Shackleton 

2014 The Typhoon 

2013 The Javelin

2012 The Valiant

2020 is going to see another flagship release to bring some huge income to Airfix/Hornby so you really have to think now, what kit will bring in a huge income in a short period of time with impulse purchases off the scale of a standard release, I think there is no coincidence they have pulled the old scale Avro Vulcan off the shelves now and I think 2020 will be the year of the Vulcan. It will be a big bucks £50-60 kit

7 hours ago, thepureness said:

I think there is no coincidence they have pulled the old scale Avro Vulcan off the shelves now and I think 2020 will be the year of the Vulcan. It will be a big bucks £50-60 kit

Airfix are still taking pre-orders for a re-issue of their VttS boxing, which according to the below is due winter 2019/20. Just saying, like.

https://www.airfix.com/uk-en/avro-vulcan-b-mk2-xh558-vulcan-to-the-sky-gift-set-1-72.html

Tommo.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, The Tomohawk Kid said:

Airfix are still taking pre-orders for a re-issue of their VttS boxing, which according to the below is due winter 2019/20. Just saying, like.

https://www.airfix.com/uk-en/avro-vulcan-b-mk2-xh558-vulcan-to-the-sky-gift-set-1-72.html

Tommo.

Noticed that too. I think that possibly knocks the "new tooled Vulcan" theory/wish/fantasy/faint hope (delete as required) squarely on the head!. However, a change of decal options at least would have been nice. Guess there is life in the old girl yet.

Allan

Edited by Albeback52
  • Like 1

On ‎10‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 7:21 PM, Adam Poultney said:

I still suspect the Vulcan will come, but I would guess release would be between October and December. I imagine Airfix will want to sell off the last kits that they have of the old one if they're releasing a new one.

I would definitely be happy with a Washington (B29) but a tad disappointed because that would mean no Vulcan...

You may be disappointed. At least for this year. I very much doubt if they would be making a new kit while taking pre orders for the old one.  They may indeed try to sell off old stock but, that might not work because I suspect most would hold out for the new kit. I would suggest therefore no Vulcan (from Airfix anyway) prior to 2021

Allan

Edited by Albeback52
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, thepureness said:

We now know it is a BIG announcement which tell me we are going to have a large aircraft. Be it either in 1/24 1/48 or 1/72. so we are either looking at a small scale large aircraft or a large scale small aircraft

Airfix have for the past 6-7 years released what I would call a flagship release for the year.

2019 we had the Hellcat

2018 The Hunter/Blenhiem couldn't confirm the flagship issue for that year

2017 The Phantom

2016 The Victor

2015 The Shackleton 

2014 The Typhoon 

2013 The Javelin

2012 The Valiant

2020 is going to see another flagship release to bring some huge income to Airfix/Hornby so you really have to think now, what kit will bring in a huge income in a short period of time with impulse purchases off the scale of a standard release, I think there is no coincidence they have pulled the old scale Avro Vulcan off the shelves now and I think 2020 will be the year of the Vulcan. It will be a big bucks £50-60 kit

Good morning

What about the Jaguar ?     https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SEPECAT_Jaguar

Airfix produced it a long time ago in 1/72 maybe it is time to release a new one wit the single seat GR1/A and twin seat E / T2 ..

Patrice