Airfix 2020

jenko

10 hours ago, Eric Mc said:

The Airfix Sea Hawk is more like 1959 rather than 1969.

Close. 1957 according to Scalemates. https://www.scalemates.com/kits/airfix-1424-armstrong-whitworth-sea-hawk--976306  .

Good replacement candidate for age, but not a lot of variety in users and colour schemes though.

Paul.

8 minutes ago, 12jaguar said:

Anyone in for a DH Hornet/Sea Hornet in 1/72 or 1/48?

John

Wouldn't be my first choice but yeah I'd build one in 1/72. Wouldn't do it in 1/48 though.

What about a Westland Whirlwind? 

2 hours ago, Paul Thompson said:

Close. 1957 according to Scalemates. https://www.scalemates.com/kits/airfix-1424-armstrong-whitworth-sea-hawk--976306  .

Good replacement candidate for age, but not a lot of variety in users and colour schemes though.

Paul.

The Fleet Air Arm had two basic colour schemes (EDSG/sky and EDSG/white) with a variety of colourful squadron markings and Suez variations, and there were also the green/white Admiral's Barges, black FRU aircraft and the all-red aerobatic team colours. Not too shabby, and no worse than the Gnat, and that's before you look at overseas users.

1 hour ago, Truro Model Builder said:

The Fleet Air Arm had two basic colour schemes (EDSG/sky and EDSG/white) with a variety of colourful squadron markings and Suez variations, and there were also the green/white Admiral's Barges, black FRU aircraft and the all-red aerobatic team colours. Not too shabby, and no worse than the Gnat, and that's before you look at overseas users.

I agree with what you say,but beauty being in the eye of the beholder, etc,, and having already made Seahawk models in the 2 basics UK schemes, and one in Suez stripes, I'm talking purely personal jadedism here. Used up some Modeldecal markings for the most colourful individual aircraft markings readily available. If Airfix was to do one I'd buy one to show willing, but couldn't guarantee  more than that. No good from my point of view comparing to the Gnat either, because I've done several of those in the major schemes as well, and if the difference between models becomes just serial numbers or a squadron badge I have to put on my headband magnifier to see, well I'd rather build something else. But that just means I'm not the natural target market, I suppose (as a yardstck, I've done 5 Airfix Sopwith Pups, and 18 Bristol Fighters in various scales from various vendors, the impulse to buy there being wildly differing colour schems applicable (but not in the box) for the Pup, and less obvious (to the non-obsessed) engine and cowling variations in the latter case. With a few funnies thrown in (very odd trainer schemes).

I dimly remember when I first encountered the Airfix Seahawk more than 50 years ago, so it really is quite dim) that the deciding factor to purchase was that it was the first time I'd encountered something that shape. I knew nothing more than what I read on the back of the baggy header, but it looked both odd and pleasing. Plus you could build the German one with the different empennage, so I eventually got 2 of them. So trying to put myself in the place of modern Joe Public, I suppose the same might apply so they'd sell a few at least. Enough to be worthwhile? No idea. None of the members of Mr and Mrs Public's family I've recently met are modellers...................

Paul.

Edited by Paul Thompson
Removed redundant name.

15 hours ago, cmatthewbacon said:

Presumably they are intended for the upcoming Zvezda kit...

That would depend on the version of the new Zvezda kit. The Xtradecal sheets cover two RAF C 130 J airframes, so fingers crossed. 

5 hours ago, 224 Peter said:

A 1/24th Vulcan would have a wingspan span of 1250cm. 

Bit big to be honest and would need a LOT of white paint! 

I think you mean millimetres.  But still a lot of white paint!

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Adam Poultney said:

12.5cm for a Vulcan? My 1/144 scale one is 21cm long...

5 hours ago, 224 Peter said:

A 1/24th Vulcan would have a wingspan span of 1250cm. 

So 1250cm is 12.5 Meters.

I suggested that he meant 1250mm which is 1.25 Meters.

21 x 144 = 3024

1250 x 24 = 30000

So 125cm or 1250mm. 

😉

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Adam Poultney said:

Basicmaths.exe has crashed and I feel dumb

That's okay.  My accurate maths is rubbish, but my general ratio stuff is pretty hot due to my work.

1 minute ago, At Sea said:

That's okay.  My accurate maths is rubbish, but my general ratio stuff is pretty hot due to my work.

Thing is I'm supposed to be strong at maths, given that I'm currently doing A Level maths (hoping to end up with an A* at the end, seeing as I came out of GCSE with the top grade). Guess I'm allowed a dumb moment every now and again, it's a weekend

• Like 1

1 hour ago, At Sea said:

So 1250cm is 12.5 Meters.

I suggested that he meant 1250mm which is 1.25 Meters.

21 x 144 = 3024

1250 x 24 = 30000

So 125cm or 1250mm. 

😉

Where I come from we call that an occasional table. …………………………… How may place settings ????

Dick

2 hours ago, jenko said:

Where I come from we call that an occasional table. …………………………… How may place settings ????

Dick

If it’s only a table occasionally, what is it the rest of the time?

Trevor

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Max Headroom said:

If it’s only a table occasionally, what is it the rest of the time?

Trevor

Can you imagine after a show.... walking through the front door and rather than saying …"look what I won in the raffle"  ...saying instead .." just been to Ikea and look what I have just bought"

Naaa….. not quite the same :doh:

Dick

• Haha 4

15 hours ago, jenko said:

Can you imagine after a show.... walking through the front door and rather than saying …"look what I won in the raffle"  ...saying instead .." just been to Ikea and look what I have just bought"

Naaa….. not quite the same :doh:

Dick

Is there anyone among us who thinks for one second that our respective other halves actually still believe our raffle prize stories? Indeed, did they ever believe us?

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Truro Model Builder said:

Is there anyone among us who thinks for one second that our respective other halves actually still believe our raffle prize stories? Indeed, did they ever believe us?

Probably just about as much as we believe that all  their new shoes, bags and clothing were very much on sale.

😎

Cheers,

Andre

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

On 10/19/2019 at 6:00 PM, Mike said:

This is a fanciful thread about what everyone would like to see produced by the big red Airfix. 

On that basic premise I'll offer my contribution... After last year's (surprise) Telford revelation, I'd go for this year's most likely BIG announcement being a large aircraft in 1/72; probably post war and in British service. Overlooking more idiosyncratic transport types, to me this suggests a short list of: Lincoln, Washington, Vulcan or Hercules;  with Canberra as an outsider. I genuinely expected a new Vulcan this year but now seems unlikely if Airfix is taking pre-orders for the existing kit.  So my suggested new tool list (not my wish list...) for 2020 is:

1/72

Boeing Washington B1 / B-29 

Sepecat Jaguar GR1

North American T-6 / Harvard

de Havilland Mosquito IV/VI

Republic P-47 Thunderbolt

1/48

Westland Lysander

Incidentally my Airfix new tool wish list (in case they are reading) would actually be 

1/72:

Vulcan B2

HP Hastings C1/C2/T5

Canberra B2/B(I)6

Vickers Valetta C1/2   (thanks Valom :whistle:)

Bristol Belvedere HC1

Javelin FAW9

Hercules C1

1/48:

Apache AH1

Meteor NF11/12/13

Harrier GR9

Only 2 weeks (or 2 months) and we'll know - one way or another...🙂

Rich

Edited by RichG
  • Like 1