Airfix 2020

jenko

Today's Workbench:

Final Telford Teaser

As we put the finishing touches to this latest blog, discussions amongst the Workbench team centred around how many of our readers we thought would head straight for this Telford section! Unfortunately, we have to tell you straight away that even though we would love to, we are unable to give you any clues as to what we have to tell everybody at Scale ModelWorld 2019, however, we can confirm that we will be making a BIG announcement. Since confirming this in our previous edition, social media and modelling websites have been rife with speculation regarding the subject matter for our new tooling and it will be interesting to revisit some of these suggestions following the announcement – we don’t have long to wait now.

For those readers who are unable to make it to Telford this year, or if the crowds around the Airfix stand are so large you can’t get a good spot, you will be pleased to hear that we have a contingency plan in place. The next edition of Workbench will be moving from its traditional Friday noon publication slot and will be delayed by 23 hours, to coincide with the planned new tooling announcement at Telford. Indeed, depending on how much tension our Brand Manager wants to create amongst the gathered masses, Workbench readers might actually find out before the official unveiling. Whatever the case, the next edition of Workbench will be published at 11am on Saturday 9th November and will include full details of the new model we will be announcing at Telford.

If you are intending to make the trip to the Scale ModelWorld show, please do come and say hello, not forgetting to mention you are a Workbench reader – it would be great to get your thoughts on the blog.

2 minutes ago, trickydicky210 said:

however, we can confirm that we will be making a BIG announcement.

BIG model or BIG scale? It seems unlikely that Airfix would be ready to do a new 1/24th kit so soon after the Hellcat so I’m leaning towards a large aircraft in 1/72. The most likely subject, IMHO, is a Vulcan but there are other possibilities:

B-24

B-29

Halifax

Stirling

Sunderland

C-130

He 177

Fw 200

Then again, 2020 is the 80th anniversary of the Battle of Britain and Airfix needs to replace their 1/24th Spitfire and Bf109E with new tools. I wouldn’t rule out either one.

• Like 4

A decent tooling 1:72 Vulcan would be great - I been tempted on many occasions to buy the old one but the reviews keep putting me off.

Alternatively, could be either / both of the RN's new aircraft carriers (is there any significant difference between QE & PoW?) presumably in 1:350 to match the Type 45?

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Jon Kunac-Tabinor said:

I guess Valiant, Victor and V....  would make sense.  So a Vultee Vengeance it is then LOL
Experience however shows that trying to second guess Aunty is never successful. :)

Jonners, pondering.

A 1/24 Vengeance... now that would be something nobody really expected ! Imagine the reactions.... 🤣

Edited by Giorgio N
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, VMA131Marine said:

2020 is the 80th anniversary of the Battle of Britain and Airfix needs...

...to complete their BoB range with:  1/72 Ju88A-1/5  

The bonus would be the 1/72 Battle. 

while neither are physically big, both would be big news for the hobby. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Jon Kunac-Tabinor said:

Experience however shows that trying to second guess Aunty is never successful. :)

Jonners, pondering.

Agreed. Has anyone ever forecast the big announcement?

Best just stop guessing, relax and wait for the 1/48 Hudson to appear.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Giorgio N said:

That if properly made, marketed and distributed, would bring to Airfix more money that 90% of the suggestions we've made til now... 😁

But still not as much money as an accurate 1/24th P-51D!

• Like 1

I read "BIG" as in the type of announcement - not neccesarily the kit or kits which will be revealed

It could be Big in all aspects of course, like last year one of us will have guessed correctly - we just wont know who until the day.

Personally i still have a feeling in my water that it will be one of the following:

1/24 SPIFIRE MK1A

1/72 VULCAN

1/72 HERCULES

1/72 B24 or Halifax

not long to wait now

1 hour ago, IanC said:

Agreed. Has anyone ever forecast the big announcement?

Best just stop guessing, relax and wait for the 1/48 Hudson to appear.

I guessed the Hellcat in 1/24 last year!

I’d have a Hudson though 👍🏻

Trevor

• Like 1

If BIG is a clue. Then it'll either be a 1/24th scale kit or a kit of a big aircraft. 

Now thinking logically, I think it's too soon for another 1/24. So that leaves a big aircraft so yes maybe a 1/72 Vulcan. Again apply logic. The Victor is done. The Valiant well there's no need to replace it yet. So the gap is obvious; a retooled Vulcan in 1/72. Airfix knows it's a seller. Plus all three v bombers are covered. 

However big can apply in other ways. Name a 'big' fighter and produce it in 1/48th scale?  We have the main WW2 fighters covered in Airfix 1/48. Spitfire, Hurricane, P51, P40. There is a big gaping P47 shaped hole right in the middle of that line up. Could it be the Juggernaut? 

Time will tell. 

I guess It will need to have a broad appeal and sell well around the world. My tuppence worth says a new 1/24 P-51. Reason being they have recently re-tooled the smaller scales and they have, I assume, already done their homework (LIDAR scans etc). Would go down well

with our American Cousins. Although I supposed the same could be said for a Spit too (BoB anniversary on the horizon as noted above). 

They were clever with the Hellcat - smart looking plane, multinational use and folding wings for smaller shelves. 
Whatever it is I hope it’s ‘BIG’ as in 1/48 or above for the sake of my eyesight - and clumsy sausage fingers! 

Personally I’d ask Father Airfixmas  for a 1/48 Shacklton or a 1/24 Sea Fury. Fat chance I’d imagine. 

"we are unable to give you any clues as to what we have to tell everybody at Scale ModelWorld 2019, however, we can confirm that we will be making a BIG announcement."

That's got to be a Vulcan! Please be a Vulcan! I want a Vulcan! I need a Vulcan! Give me 5! 

Seriously though, I do think a Vulcan is likely, and I think that a Valiant reissue will come with it.

19 minutes ago, noelh said:

If BIG is a clue. Then it'll either be a 1/24th scale kit or a kit of a big aircraft. 

Now thinking logically, I think it's too soon for another 1/24. So that leaves a big aircraft so yes maybe a 1/72 Vulcan. Again apply logic. The Victor is done. The Valiant well there's no need to replace it yet. So the gap is obvious; a retooled Vulcan in 1/72. Airfix knows it's a seller. Plus all three v bombers are covered. 

However big can apply in other ways. Name a 'big' fighter and produce it in 1/48th scale?  We have the main WW2 fighters covered in Airfix 1/48. Spitfire, Hurricane, P51, P40. There is a big gaping P47 shaped hole right in the middle of that line up. Could it be the Juggernaut? 

Time will tell. 

There's a P38 shaped gap in Airfix's lineup as well...

Not one I'd buy because I'm not a huge fan of most American aircraft from WW2, but I'm sure many would.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, trickydicky210 said:

I read "BIG" as in the type of announcement - not neccesarily the kit or kits which will be revealed

It could be Big in all aspects of course, like last year one of us will have guessed correctly - we just wont know who until the day.

Personally i still have a feeling in my water that it will be one of the following:

1/24 SPIFIRE MK1A

1/72 VULCAN

1/72 HERCULES

1/72 B24 or Halifax

not long to wait now

Forgot to add 1/350 QEC and 1/48 TYPHOON (EUROFIGHTER)

Edited by trickydicky210

Indeed Adam but WW2 fighters tend to be pairs, Spitfire, Hurricane, FW190, Bf109, Mustang, Thunderbolt. 

It fits the pattern and the Jug is big. 

If I could place a bet on it. I would.