Airfix 2020

jenko

42 minutes ago, Albeback52 said:

Agree with the choice of subject but, not the choice of scale. However, If I recall correctly, Airfix did announce some time ago that would neither be retooling their existing 1/144 kits nor issuing new kits in this scale.

Allan

Sure about that? They have the Concorde up for preorder 

44 minutes ago, Albeback52 said:

Indeed and, using the same logic and referring to some of the classic vintage box art, Airfix should also produce a Ki-84 ( seen attacking the (B-29) and, an Fw-200 ( being engaged by a Sunderland) and,an SA-2 missile (seen whizzing past an Israeli F-4E)? Well, this IS a speculation thread! 😊

Not sure if you mean the SA-2 should be 'paired' with an Israeli F-4: 'Dogfigtht Double' would stretch credibility beyond breaking point!

However, so I'm told, that although Airfix still have the SA-2 mold it is too badly damaged to be re-used.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, PhantomBigStu said:

It's not a new tool, it's a reissue of an ancient relic

2 minutes ago, Hook said:

These have probably beeen mentioned, but since there's been no sign if them:

1/72nd downscale of the 1/48th Javelin and Sea Vixen, pretty please!

Cheers,

Andre

I don't think my wallet could take that.... 

5 minutes ago, Hook said:

1/72nd downscale of the 1/48th Javelin and Sea Vixen, pretty please!

Much requested and very welcome amongst many I'm sure.

• Like 5

Historically, Airfix's strength was in the breadth of the range. In the current climate of Hornby's financial condition, I understand why Airfix has concentrated on military aircraft to produce easy profit. But the neglect of (in no particular order) cars, ships, figures, civil aircraft, military vehicles and sci-fi has diminished the range to a point where they are becoming a one trick pony. Surely it is time to develop a strategy to broaden the range, not to the detriment of individual genres.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PhantomBigStu said:

Yes. Absolutely. It isn't a new tool or, even the 1976 issue. It's the original 1967 Concorde kit that is being reissued as part of the Vintage Classic range.

Personally, I am delighted with this reissue! I have pre ordered 4!😅

Allan

Edited by Albeback52

4 minutes ago, Albeback52 said:

Yes. Absolutely. It isn't a new tool or, even the 1976 issue. It's the original 1967 Concorde kit that is being reissued as part of the Vintage Classic range.

Personally, I am delighted with this reissue! I have pre ordered 4!😅

Allan

I want to make a bombcorde out of one even if it makes very little sense. 

• Like 2

On 10/19/2019 at 12:30 PM, Adam Poultney said:

Would be nice to see! I always welcome more German types

On 10/19/2019 at 12:20 PM, 12by12 said:

Ju-88A1 for the anniversary. Obvious, necessary.  I'm not sure relatively obscure types from the war and early post-war are going to sell in large numbers to the rest of the world. However, look at Corgi for ideas of where the wind blows.

And it is available in kit form for scanning in an Airfix-friendly museum two hours flying time from London:

https://www.flysam.no/utstillingen/flyene/junkers-ju-88a-1/

Definitely an A1 with the single MG for defense

ju88_cockpit.jpg

spacer.png

Edited by LN-KEH
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, LN-KEH said:

And it is available in kit form for scanning in an Airfix-friendly museum two hours flying time from London:

https://www.flysam.no/utstillingen/flyene/junkers-ju-88a-1/

spacer.png

As long as they don't scan the one "restored" in Sinsheim! That vandalism was a crime... There is also Cosford with a complete aircraft. Could do the Ju52 and Lincoln while they're there as well.

ju88_03-sinsheim-2013-07-13_g.jpg

There is an original Ju 52/3m at Gardermoen, so if they didn`t Lidar it at the same time as the He 111 - they can do it too.

Most Ju 52/3m in museums are French or Spanish built, the one at Gardermoen is German built and restored after staying in a lake since 1940 - a time capsule.

I have seen the abomination in Sinsheim and my first thought was to get hold of a fire axe to destroy it - we have two proper Ju 88s under restoration in Norway and another in Berlin,  A small British museum has a Ju 88a1 cockpit originating from Norway as well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Adam Poultney said:

I want to make a bombcorde out of one even if it makes very little sense. 

Many many years ago the late John W R Taylor wrote an article for the RAF yearbook (must have been late 60’s?) with an artists impression suggesting a military version of the Concorde armed with 3 Blue Steel missiles on pylons or similar. It seemed implausible even back then but just the article might have worried the Soviets though I assume some of their designers in would have let them know the problems to be overcome or not overcome to make the idea a reality. 

ps. That Ju 88 is an abomination. 

16 minutes ago, LN-KEH said:

There is an original Ju 52/3m at Gardermoen, so if they didn`t Lidar it at the same time as the He 111 - they can do it too.

Most Ju 52/3m in museums are French or Spanish built, the one at Gardermoen is German built and restored after staying in a lake since 1940 - a time capsule.

I have seen the abomination in Sinsheim and my first thought was to get hold of a fire axe to destroy it - we have two proper Ju 88s under restoration in Norway and another in Berlin,  A small British museum has a Ju 88a1 cockpit originating from Norway as well.

Are we forgetting about Cosford's Ju88 then?

But also look at the "Bf109" from the same museum... Looks like it has only half a spinner as well

027.JPG

I wonder if they can be salvaged or are a total write off.... Honestly they look like cheap Chinese knock offs. 

Edited by Adam Poultney

On 10/19/2019 at 11:20 AM, 12by12 said:

Ju-88A1 for the anniversary. Obvious, necessary.  I'm not sure relatively obscure types from the war and early post-war are going to sell in large numbers to the rest of the world. However, look at Corgi for ideas of where the wind blows.

I'm happy to disagree: I think it (ie Ju-88A1) would sell!

- Firstly the Airfix 60's kit is long overdue for re-tooling.

-Secondly Hasegawa, Italeri and others have covered most of the later variants, leaving only the A1 untooled.

So the general kit buying public will buy it for the reasons they buy any kit.

But the real cognescenti, who probably already have later variants in their collection, will buy it because it's diffent from all the other 88's.  Some may buy it to complete their BoB line up.

A win-win situation and a very smart choice.

11 minutes ago, Denford said:

Hasegawa, Italeri and others have covered most of the later variants, leaving only the A1 untooled.

So the general kit buying public will buy it for the reasons they buy any kit.

But the real cognescenti, who probably already have later variants in their collection, will buy it because it's diffent from all the other 88's.  Some may buy it to complete their BoB line up.

I've been saying for some time that Airfix should do the Ju-88A-1 but they shouldn't limit themselves to just that version because it is so limiting, if they're canny they can squeeze lots of variants from the mould such as the A-5 which replaced the A-1 late in the BoB period, A-11/14 variants, C-2 and C-4.  This would cover a lot of early war variants and provide a basis for Ju-88's from the Blitzkrieg to the Balkans, Northern Cape to North Africa and of course the Russian campaign.  Sounds like a winner to me.

• Like 3

So we all agree a Ju88 would be a great kit? How about tooling it so that Airfix can offer as many variants as possible, that always seems like a smart choice. I see this aircraft similarly to the Do17 (literally working on one right now, I'm waiting for some paint to dry and typing this), a great early war type that isn't necessarily at the forefront of public knowledge (then again what is beyond a Spitfire) but still a well known aircraft.

There are a multitude of variants around and many modern kits: Airfix, ICM (which I'm working on), RS Models (which I intend to get the F variant of), and then a number of 1/48 kits also from ICM. The Ju88 could be equally as successful.

Here's another idea, what about new parts with the Ju87 to build a later version with the later canopy? Maybe one of the ones with the huge cannons on each wing.

A sure fire winner would be a 48th Lanc, only competition is the Tamiya kit which has well known errors, then a two stage Mossie!

Absolute bankers imo 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Adam Poultney said:

Here's another idea, what about new parts with the Ju87 to build a later version with the later canopy? Maybe one of the ones with the huge cannons on each wing.

It's not a very doable idea, the D versions differ in so many parts from the B versions. It's not just the canopies, I'm afraid. V-P

• Like 1

On 10/19/2019 at 4:16 PM, Denford said:

If by the kit designers you mean those who sit at a computer screen designing the molds from measurements probably by others, I very much doubt that they have any freedom at all to 'create what they would like to do'.....................

I think that with this reply that my quoting you was taken too seriously! 

Arabest,

Geoff.

The outcome of all this speculation really depends where the Hornby group are in their recovery programme. Sixteen months ago the results were poor and losses increasing. We had the move back to Margate etc,, The most recent trading statement shows things are on the upturn but the share price is still somewhat depressed.. Another indicator is that the Airfix website lists 104 items as "new for 2019" and of these over 50% are still showing as re-order, including the vast majority of the re-boxed Armour and classic reissues.

I would not be surprised if the focus next year continues to be on more variations on current kits, and new decal schemes. New decal schemes will always be a winner for Airfix as the cost of a kit will always be less than the kit + aftermarket decals. I would be happy with an Honnington based Buccaneer.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Paul821 said:

The outcome of all this speculation really depends where the Hornby group are in their recovery programme. Sixteen months ago the results were poor and losses increasing. We had the move back to Margate etc,, The most recent trading statement shows things are on the upturn but the share price is still somewhat depressed.. Another indicator is that the Airfix website lists 104 items as "new for 2019" and of these over 50% are still showing as re-order, including the vast majority of the re-boxed Armour and classic reissues.

I would not be surprised if the focus next year continues to be on more variations on current kits, and new decal schemes. New decal schemes will always be a winner for Airfix as the cost of a kit will always be less than the kit + aftermarket decals. I would be happy with an Honnington based Buccaneer.

If we're talking new decal schemes and reissues, my list would be:

Victor pure bomber, white and camo options

Do17 with new decals for BoB anniversary

Valiant with new schemes

Lanc bii (almost guaranteed to sell great!) 

Canberra bomber variant, any scheme

1/72 Spitfire PrXIX new silver scheme

1/72 Ju87 new schemes

1/72 Spitfire in German markings