Airfix 2020

jenko

1 hour ago, Robert said:

Perhaps a Starfighter as that seems to be the rage at the moment.

Regards

Robert

First Starfighter I built was the old Airfix Luftwaffe one. Lured by the boxart in our local corner shop! Really needs replaced.

Paul Harrison

Good morning

And what about a Jaguar family in 1/72 ?or a Mirage 2000 family ? it would surely be less expensive than the future Modeslvit one ..

All the best

Patrice

Edited by TEMPESTMK5
  • Like 1

On 10/6/2019 at 9:23 PM, IanHx said:

Of course if we were really desperate to find out what the future holds, we'd be ringing around display case manufacturers to see if Airfix have ordered a large triangular one for Telford...... :)

On 10/6/2019 at 11:05 PM, Albeback52 said:

Ah!.Airfix branching out into Sci Fi  then? An Imperial Star Destroyer or Imperial Dreadnought . Very large triangles 😂😉

No, no. It will be an empty case, as it can be marketed as a model of the Bermuda Triangle, where everything vanishes.

• Haha 6
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Truro Model Builder said:

No, no. It will be an empty case, as it can be marketed as a model of the Bermuda Triangle, where everything vanishes.

What scale?

Trevor

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Truro Model Builder said:

Hopefully not with free Barry Manilow CD! 😕

Allan

• Haha 1

Since someone mentioned the MiG-17F, I suddenly had an idea regarding a kit that Airfix may propose: a Skyraider !

It's a kit that was present for a long time in Airfix catalogue, there's no lack of surviving examples to laser-scan, it's a type that can be seen flying at airshows and can be offered in a few interesting schemes. And of course, would be a perfect "enemy" for the aforementioned MiG-17 🤣

Of course I have no idea if Airfix would really do a Skyraider, in any case I'd be glad if they did one. The Hasegawa kit is very nice but not always easily available, while the old Airfix kit can be found easily on the second-hand market but is really old and inaccurate...

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, Truro Model Builder said:

Ah! Cryptic marketing from Airfix. That'll be an empty box which should have a new tool Avenger in it.

Steve

• Like 1

Well this might nix the Vulcan rumour - I'm sure when I looked the other week the Airfix website had the Vulcan as 'out of stock' now its in 'pre-order' Winter 2019-2020 - I thought maybe they'd left it there as a double bluff when out of stock but it seems highly unlikely they'd be taking pre-orders for the old tool with a new tool coming....

https://www.airfix.com/uk-en/avro-vulcan-b-mk2-xh558-vulcan-to-the-sky-gift-set-1-72.html

So expected 'revised tools/new boxings'

1/48 Hunter FGA9 

1/72 Buccaneer RAF

1/48 Spit XIV second boxing (Postwar?) or low-back?

1/24 Hellcat - second boxing? Drones? Uruguay?

Lots announced in 2019 still to be released/re-released - variants of Wimpey, Phantom FG1, & Hunter F4 for example and the Classic Range - maybe more on that line but as the release of the first tranche has been delayed, maybe not?

Pre Telford- my final guesses are....

1/72 JU-88 (would complete the 'set' but did the HE111 and DO 17 sell?)

1/72 'German Supply Set;' (like RAF and USAAF sets previously issued could be sold separately and in combination with an aircraft kit)

1/72 Battle - competition limited to MPM and their own ancient (incorrect) kit

1/72 Lysander (they have a close relationship with warbird operators - ARCO's new machine aloft this year - army boxing - SOE boxing- Shuttleworth)

1/72 Tempest II lots of V's not many II's in competition..

1/72 Anson C.21 - no competition lots of Museums have one....

1/48 Vampire/Venom

I'm still of the opinion that a 1/48 Airfix Lanc would be a good shout - Spitfires sell, Lancasters sell, fits all Airfix's criteria... more wieldy than 1/32!

BUT.... I still recall at the back of my foggy mind a report that the Avro Lincoln at Cosford was scanned by Airfix some time ago...they wouldnt, would they.....RAF option then Overseas option - Argentina, Australia.... but then people said they'd never see a Shack.....

Next Superkit.... 1/24 Gladiator or Sea Fury...

TT

• Like 2

I have refrained from commenting on all these wasted electrons until now, because the cynic in me says that it's pointless to point out that all this speculation is pointless. But aha! I just pointed it out! A quadruple point-out! Do I get a Gold Medal?

Edited by Space Ranger
Add'l. nonsense.
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, TEXANTOMCAT said:

Avro Lincoln at Cosford was scanned by Airfix

They wouldn't have gone to the time and expense of scanning an aircraft they had no intention of releasing as a kit. 

But, if I were Airfix, I would do the Manchester before the Lincoln.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, TEXANTOMCAT said:

1/48 Spit XIV second boxing (Postwar?) or low-back?

I'd guess the next boxing will be SEAC and export markings.

Did you mean high-back, as the current kit is the low-back version? I'd guess the high-back Mk.XIV is unlikely as they all had 'c' wings and the Airfix kit is only set up for the 'e' wing. I also wonder if it will be released as an FR.XVIII, although the wing isn't entirely correct for that variant,

• Thanks 1

Apologies I meant low back- I need to take more water with it- but I’m grateful for your explanation on wing types - seems unlikely! 

And please don’t take the Lincoln thing as gospel...it was a rumour and this is the rumourmonger after all! 🙂

46 minutes ago, VMA131Marine said:

I'd guess the next boxing will be SEAC and export markings.

Did you mean high-back, as the current kit is the low-back version? I'd guess the high-back Mk.XIV is unlikely as they all had 'c' wings and the Airfix kit is only set up for the 'e' wing. I also wonder if it will be released as an FR.XVIII, although the wing isn't entirely correct for that variant,

I’d need to go and check but I’m pretty sure you could get a high back XIV with an e wing 

45 minutes ago, Dave Fleming said:

I’d need to go and check but I’m pretty sure you could get a high back XIV with an e wing 

in one of the threads here on Spit XIVs it seems most high back XIV were e wing... only the first batch had the c wing.

I think it was @gingerbob had some figures... I'll link in if I can find it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TEXANTOMCAT said:

Have you started modelling scenery out of mashed potato yet though? 

Absolutely. You wouldn't believe how many sacks of spuds the missus gets through to keep me happy, but at least my dioramas end up with a nice potatoey, Wyoming backdrop.

As for Airfix. They seem to like training aircraft, so a few more of those would be welcome. Harvard IIb I'm looking at you!

Steve

• Haha 2

28 minutes ago, Troy Smith said:

in one of the threads here on Spit XIVs it seems most high back XIV were e wing... only the first batch had the c wing.

I think it was @gingerbob had some figures... I'll link in if I can find it.

I, apparently, mis-remembered that post. Now I think about it, I believe it said that all the 'c' wing Mk.XIVs were high-back but the 'e' wing XIV's were a mix of high-back and low-back.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Dave Fleming said:

I wonder if we will get any hints in this weeks Workbench (or even any indication that anything will be announced at Telford?)

Probably not this week's, but maybe the next one due in a fortnight's time... And possibly not even that Workbench, as there'd still be another 2 weeks to go, so they might not give any hints until the Workbench due on the 8th!

Edited by RussellE

15 hours ago, RussellE said:

Probably not this week's, but maybe the next one due in a fortnight's time... And possibly not even that Workbench, as there'd still be another 2 weeks to go, so they might not give any hints until the Workbench due on the 8th!

Workbench is now live, they have said that there will definitely *be* an announcement but with usual tight-lipped secrecy as to what it will be.