Airfix 2020

jenko

17 hours ago, Richard Humm said:

If they're going for the 70s nostalgia market, a Rod Stewart cassette should be the musical accompaniment. 🙂

The 70’s would require an 8-track cassette.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, percival p. said:

I don't really think it's a hint, it's just wishful thinking. I'd like an F 4 and would prefer to give my money to Airfix.

Absolutely no harm in that!.👍 . I don't think it's likely but, I wouldn't turn it down! Prefer the long nosed E/F/G variants though

Allan

• Like 1

19 hours ago, percival p. said:

I don't really think it's a hint, it's just wishful thinking. I'd like an F 4 and would prefer to give my money to Airfix.

That's reasonable but, personally, I have no particular loyalty to Airfix or, any other brand.I've got F-4 kits from about five different companies at the moment!😂

Airfix  has a tendency to surprise us so, who knows!😊

Allan

Yeah, brand loyalty can be a bit of a trap. Even so, the impression that I get from reading various posts is that Airfix's existence is more than slightly precarious and for that reason I would stick to buying their products.

• Like 2

On 10/3/2019 at 10:14 AM, Rabbit Leader said:

Airfix seem to take  at least 12-18 months, so perhaps less lead time would be something they could consider for 2020? 

Pah, Airfix are rank amateurs at that game.  What about Special Hobby's Sunderland?  Not to mention (because I'm not sure they do any more) the 1/72 A-26 Invader they promised at least 10 years ago.  For years the SH forthcoming release list was no more than a vague declaration of intent, of which maybe 2-3 might conceivably see the light of day in the next 12 months. 

Seems to me manufacturers can't win: either they are being unreasonably secretive (how dare they not announce the next year's release list at Telford?) or they try to engage with us by being open about their plans and people get traumatised by the fact something is a month late.  Maybe they and we would be better off if they told us absolutely nothing and the first we knew of a new release was when it appeared on the shelf (or virtual shelf).   

Edited by Seahawk
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, Seahawk said:

Maybe they and we would be better off if they told us absolutely nothing and the first we knew of a new release was when it appeared on the shelf (or virtual shelf).   

If I were running Airfix I would follow the example of Tamiya and announce only when the kit is finished, in the distribution chain, and within a week or so of being on the shelves (as with the recent P-38). I think Airfix believes it benefits from a year of anticipation, though.

...or, alternatively, you could announce a subject months in advance for the internet to get in a froth about thus generating massive volumes, in both senses of the word, free publicity.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PhantomBigStu said:

I know the Airfix theme with the first release choices for the phantom and bucc suggest a 1/72 sea vixen is next, but I’ve woken up convinced it’s actually going to be a new tool jaguar gr1 boxing next year with gr3 in 2021

Wharton’s kitty is one of my all time favourite types. I’ll go further and predict that one of the options will be 2 Squadron, purely because it has cropped up on more than one of their kits lately.

1/72 scale please 👍🏻😆

Trevor

5 hours ago, percival p. said:

Yeah, brand loyalty can be a bit of a trap. Even so, the impression that I get from reading various posts is that Airfix's existence is more than slightly precarious and for that reason I would stick to buying their products.

They are in a slightly precarious state financially and, I would not like to see them go under. But, they are only one amongst many. I will happily buy Airfix provided they produce something I want at a reasonable price. If I can find a cheaper alternative to one of their products, then I will buy that instead. I won't buy a kit specifically because it is Airfix. As far as 2020 is concerned, I will be happy to see the lower end of the kit range expand. My modelling budget rarely extends beyond £ 25 - £30 in a good month!!.

Allan

• Like 1

"Maybe they and we would be better off if they told us absolutely nothing and the first we knew of a new release was when it appeared on the shelf (or virtual shelf). "

Back to the good old days of popping into Woollies every week after school to see what delights were on sale😃

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, chrisov said:

"Maybe they and we would be better off if they told us absolutely nothing and the first we knew of a new release was when it appeared on the shelf (or virtual shelf). "

Back to the good old days of popping into Woollies every week after school to see what delights were on sale😃

Absolutely!  I remember the first appearances of the Dauntless and Black Widow, types I didn't know existed until my attention was grabbed by some striking Roy Cross boxart.

• Like 2

Even back in the sixties Airfix announced what they were doing at the toy fairs, it is just we didn't have the Internet to spend the following year complaining about it being the wrong scale, choice etc, etc. I suspect Tamiya like Hasegawa and others can afford their strategy of not telling anyone anything until the kit is virtually in the shops as probably their domestic market is so big that the export stuff is not so much the icing as the piped flowers on the cake. Hornby Hobbies cannot at present afford that. 

• Like 2

Well i`ll chuck my few pennies worth in and predict the majestic queen of the skies, Shorts Tucano in 1:72 for 2020.

Keeps inline with recent series of trainer offerings, will sadly be gone by 2020 (keeps with Airfix releasing things that have just gone ie Harrier & Sea King).

Plus wonder if this is a clue?

Linton Visit

Edited by Armadillos

You really think their existing 1990 Tucano kit is on the immediate list for replacement? It's a pretty serviceable little kit still, and there's no competition in 1/72. Well, there's the PM kit, but I gather that's pretty nasty

Edited by Work In Progress

2 hours ago, Armadillos said:

Well i`ll chuck my few pennies worth in and predict the majestic queen of the skies, Shorts Tucano in 1:72 for 2020.

Keeps inline with recent series of trainer offerings, will sadly be gone by 2020 (keeps with Airfix releasing things that have just gone ie Harrier & Sea King).

Plus wonder if this is a clue?

Linton Visit

Wouldn't rule out a 1/48th Tucano. Although on that basis a new Tornado GR4 might be in order too

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Dave Fleming said:

Wouldn't rule out a 1/48th Tucano. Although on that basis a new Tornado GR4 might be in order too

Airfixs 1:72 Tornado GR offering is certainly long overdue replacing, but there again so is their F3 and Jag.  New tools of which would all be most welcome

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Seahawk said:

Absolutely!  I remember the first appearances of the Dauntless and Black Widow, types I didn't know existed until my attention was grabbed by some striking Roy Cross boxart.

I'm sure I was confronted by the Airfix Schnellboot, Bae Hawk and, Panavia (as it then was) M R C A kits all in one week in my local Woolies!. 😀

Allan

• Like 1

On 10/5/2019 at 12:07 PM, Work In Progress said:

If I were running Airfix I would follow the example of Tamiya and announce only when the kit is finished, in the distribution chain, and within a week or so of being on the shelves (as with the recent P-38). I think Airfix believes it benefits from a year of anticipation, though.

The likes of Hornby and Revell do not just rely on the modelling community for their business, however. They also compete for business from the toys and games market, which dwarfs models and hobbies, and this is why, like their competitors in that market, they make their range announcements at the beginning of the year to catch the big toy fairs and produce a glossy catalogue. They also have to gauge interest and gain advance orders to know how many units they need to order from their contractors and arrange advance marketing and advertising.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Of course if we were really desperate to find out what the future holds, we'd be ringing around display case manufacturers to see if Airfix have ordered a large triangular one for Telford...... :)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, IanHx said:

Of course if we were really desperate to find out what the future holds, we'd be ringing around display case manufacturers to see if Airfix have ordered a large triangular one for Telford...... :)

Ah!.Airfix branching out into Sci Fi  then? An Imperial Star Destroyer or Imperial Dreadnought . Very large triangles 😂😉

• Haha 2

On 10/7/2019 at 6:23 AM, IanHx said:

I know we seem to live in a throw away society these days, however why wouldn’t they just use the same display case they’ve used for the last few years? 

Cheers.. Dave (who reckons they could fit about six 1/72 new tools or 12 x Venoms!) 

• Like 1