Airfix 2020

jenko

11 hours ago, Wez said:

The problem with the Platz kits is their price and relative availability.

I love T-33, so many colour schemes, so many users around the world and thus a lot of appeal. A cheaper, more readily available option would be very welcome!

Good monring Wez

I agree with you the T-33 is a very nice and coulourful aircraft , but the Platz kits are expensive I have 2 kits in my stash if I remember correctly I bought at least one directly from http://www.platz-hobby.com/deal_e.html a few years ago but I don't remeber how much I paid and the other 1 bought from another japanese only store that I found via Amazon ..

All the best

Patrice

Edited by TEMPESTMK5

On 9/19/2019 at 2:02 PM, Truro Model Builder said:

A good number of RAF pilots trained in the T-33, as quite a few went to Canada in the 1950s to learn to fly with the RCAF. In any case, the MiG-17 shows that Airfix do like to play the occasional joker.

Agreed!  Airfix will produce what sells, not what was specifically in British military service although it does help.  I personally would buy 2 to 3 T-Birds!

Edited by Phantom Phil
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Phantom Phil said:

I personally would buy a 2/3 of T-Birds!

Two-thirds of a T-Bird would be a low point for Airfix QC.

I’ll get me coat...

• Haha 5

14 hours ago, malpaso said:

Two-thirds of a T-Bird would be a low point for Airfix QC.

I’ll get me coat...

No! That will be the water line version that comes with a free base to enable you to build a diorama featuring a ditched T-33!

Allan

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Albeback52 said:

No! That will be the water line version that comes with a free base to enable you to build a diorama featuring a ditched T-33!

Allan

You are responsible for me wasting 10 minutes of my life trying to find a picture of a ditched T-33 to post here :drunk:

Trevor

• Haha 2

Does anybody think an accurate dH Hornet in either 1:72 and 1:48 could be a money-spinner for Airfix.  I'd buy a few.  I said the same about the Beau and have bought 8 thus far.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Albeback52 said:

Any four engined bomber is too big (and too expensive) in these silly big scales(1/32 & 1/48). 1/72 only please! 😉😂

Allan

A Coastal Command Liberator, preferably.

• Like 1

Sword T-33 is good enough either except for the problem with non-matching transparencies making you do an open canopy. So I'd say there is no great problem with this type on the market. Also strange Italeri never did it although this was used by Aeronautica Militare...

Edited by Dennis_C

The Wessex may be new but the Halifax is a re-release in new markings.  The original Corgi release of a Merlin Hali showed strong evidence of excessive exposure to the Matchbox kit but their Hercules one was better - just not sure if they captured the canopy asymmetry.  I was waiting for their 1/144 Halton to go with the Lancastrian, York etc but it never appeared.  Boo.

11 minutes ago, Graham Boak said:

The Wessex may be new but the Halifax is a re-release in new markings.  The original Corgi release of a Merlin Hali showed strong evidence of excessive exposure to the Matchbox kit but their Hercules one was better - just not sure if they captured the canopy asymmetry.  I was waiting for their 1/144 Halton to go with the Lancastrian, York etc but it never appeared.  Boo.

Wessex isn’t new either, both new tools from years ago, Halifax is definitely pre hornby and Wessex could be as well 

Wessex is pre Hornby, around 2007 based on the Italeri kit , the Halifax around the same time,the Phantom is based on the 1/72 Airfix .

Corgi now mostly follow on from Airfix as they get most of the development budget and the CAD can then be adapted to diecast , the new Corgi Beaufighter is Airfix based as well.

• Thanks 1

1/48 Sunderland

And yes I would make room for it ...even if I had to sleep in the shed.

Dick

• Haha 2

Perhaps the 'new's of the HB 1/48 Lanc has put the kibosh on my suggestion that Airfix might do one....  still faves are a 1/72 Battle (not a Lizzie now as Dora have done one??) and maybe a 1/72 Hampden. A 48th Chippie would follow the Tiger logically or even a new tool 1/72 version (would be cheap to tool) but I still predict 2020 will be the year of the Vulcan....!

TT