Airfix 2020

jenko

14 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

I reckon there’s a good case for Harvard’s in both popular scales. That should give everyone something to be happy with, however we know that’s not gonna happen. 

Cheers.. Dave 

Could be.  they've done it with the Tiger Moth. 

10 hours ago, Calum said:

perhaps it's just me, but I find it strange the interest in the Chipmunk , and the tiger Moth for that matter strangle. . I get the both have never been really be kitted and that Tiger Moth in particular was widely used but to me it's it's still just a trainer aircraft .  I have even less interest in the Chipmunk.. I can't see then flying out the door like a Buccaneer or Spitfire Vc  would

I bet absolutely loads of people on here have flown in a chipmunk at some point- whether that was as a Air Cadet, University Air Sqn Cadet or in the RAF, Army grading or Royal Navy. It has huge appeal for the fact it served for so long and so many got to fly them- think halcyon days as a young cadet flying for the first time. I happen to have a share in one and that it has given me so much pleasure I would love one to be kitted.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, 85sqn said:

I bet absolutely loads of people on here have flown in a chipmunk at some point- whether that was as a Air Cadet, University Air Sqn Cadet or in the RAF, Army grading or Royal Navy. It has huge appeal for the fact it served for so long and so many got to fly them- think halcyon days as a young cadet flying for the first time. I happen to have a share in one and that it has given me so much pleasure I would love one to be kitted.

I get that, and on the basis how many flown in them, a Hercules should be a shoe-in (Coincidentally I do think a Hercules is a definite at one point anyway).

• Like 1

I was thinking that between Trumpy/HB and Airfix they were slowly working their way through the kits of Classic Airframes. Of all the subjects flown by Britain in numbers, what is left?  Avro Anson, Fairey Gannett?  

I often wonder why no-one has kitted the Percival Prentice (other than Skybirds 86 - 30 odd years ago) or probably more importantly an Anson C.21 (again 30 odd years ago) - the latter especially as quite a few survive  - whilst I can't see Airfix doing a Prentice I could see them doing an Anson....

TT

21 minutes ago, Harold55 said:

I was thinking that between Trumpy/HB and Airfix they were slowly working their way through the kits of Classic Airframes. Of all the subjects flown by Britain in numbers, what is left?  Avro Anson, Fairey Gannett?  

Off the top of my head:

Venom, 2 Seat Vampire, Blenheim IV & V, Battle, Hudson, Baltimore, Meteor T7 & NF12-14 - so quite a few still out there

Edited by trickydicky210
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, 85sqn said:

I guess being from NZ the Chipmunk holds little appeal. That said I've flown in lots of airliners and I have zero desire to make . I've never flown in Spitifres, Hurricanes, Beauforts  F-16's etc but they internest me much more as a modelling subjects . Horses for courses. I guess

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Calum said:

I guess being from NZ the Chipmunk holds little appeal. That said I've flown in lots of airliners and I have zero desire to make . I've never flown in Spitifres, Hurricanes, Beauforts  F-16's etc but they internest me much more as a modelling subjects . Horses for courses. I guess

Something I'd have to agree with. I feel the same way about the Tiger Moth that so many modellers are drooling over.

But, as you say, horses for courses!😊

Whatever Airfix ( and others) release for 2020, you can guarantee they will please as many people as may be disappointed

Allan

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Calum said:

It's not about flying in the Chippie, it's about strapping on the parachute, clambering into the cockpit in the slipstream of the propeller, being strapped in and then off into the wide blue yonder, getting the chance to actually fly the aircraft and that first experience of doing aerobatics, I can still remember the experience from 40 years ago, that's why the Chipmunk is held in such great affection.

You're right of course though it is about horses for courses, I have zero interest in the Beaufort, no interest in airliners and no interest whatsoever in the F-35 but I'm glad there are others out there that do because it means we get a wide range of subjects and who's to say, what doesn't interest me now may well in 10 years time and then I'd be bellyaching that there wasn't a kit of x, y or z.

Right now, I want Airfix to concentrate on Cold War era aicraft, preferably in 1/72nd.

Edited by Wez
speelung
  • Like 4

Have to agree on the Chipmunk; my first ever flight was in WP833 from Exeter Airport on 20 December 1984. So many ex-Air Cadets who are now somewhat older -if not entirely wiser- will have similar memories, and many a purchase is informed by nostalgia.

By the way, any ex-cadets remember this?

• Like 6

34 minutes ago, Truro Model Builder said:

Have to agree on the Chipmunk; my first ever flight was in WP833 from Exeter Airport on 20 December 1984. So many ex-Air Cadets who are now somewhat older -if not entirely wiser- will have similar memories, and many a purchase is informed by nostalgia.

It was still being used in the late 80's - I was a cadet 85-90 and they were still using it then!

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Truro Model Builder said:

I remember the film, but that's about it. I was in 1312 Ground Training Corps from 84 to 86. I think our CO must have been a vertigo sufferer as we never went flying. I had one shot at it at Cambridge and got as far as the training film, then we got weathered in so the flights were scrubbed. Didn't ever get another chance, which was also odd as our squadron was based at an airport. We did a lot of swearing removed and goose stepping about as I think our CO was quite fond of that. Might as well have joined the Army Cadets! 🤣

Steve

• Haha 1

Trying to get back on topic: Rumourmonger!

About to issue a Tiger Moth, I can't see Aifix tooling another 'simple' trainer soon.  And of course the Tiger Moth has to sell well for any hope of tooling more trainers.

I've always been a little surprised that Airfix (and even more Revell Germany) haven't tooled a T-33!  Lots of colour schemes and users, one of which was the West German Airforce!  It might even be possible to 'modify and re-issue' as Silver Star: the T-33 airframe adapted to use a Nene, and used by RCAF.  Others will be better informed on how easy this would be.

And if the new Tiger Moth did sell well then perhaps some more same era subjects?  A 1/48 Dragon Rapide (which would exceede all that I perceive as Airfix's selection criteria) might persuade me to try my first ever 1/48 and Biplane builds!

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Denford said:

I've always been a little surprised that Airfix..... haven't tooled a T-33! 

Simple... the T-33 has never been operated by any British service. Now I know that this is not a particular criteria for Airfix to choose it's subjects, although somehow I think it does hold some weight. 

Cheers.. Dave 

50 minutes ago, Denford said:

Trying to get back on topic: Rumourmonger!

About to issue a Tiger Moth, I can't see Aifix tooling another 'simple' trainer soon.  And of course the Tiger Moth has to sell well for any hope of tooling more trainers.

I've always been a little surprised that Airfix (and even more Revell Germany) haven't tooled a T-33!  Lots of colour schemes and users, one of which was the West German Airforce!  It might even be possible to 'modify and re-issue' as Silver Star: the T-33 airframe adapted to use a Nene, and used by RCAF.  Others will be better informed on how easy this would be.

And if the new Tiger Moth did sell well then perhaps some more same era subjects?  A 1/48 Dragon Rapide (which would exceede all that I perceive as Airfix's selection criteria) might persuade me to try my first ever 1/48 and Biplane builds!

The definitive 1/48 T-33 Silver Star is already available !

GHW / Great Wall Hobby

😎

SharkOwl

spacer.png

On 9/17/2019 at 3:24 PM, TEXANTOMCAT said:

I often wonder why no-one has kitted the Percival Prentice (other than Skybirds 86 - 30 odd years ago) or probably more importantly an Anson C.21 (again 30 odd years ago) - the latter especially as quite a few survive  - whilst I can't see Airfix doing a Prentice I could see them doing an Anson....

I think you're right. We probably won't see a Prentice from Airfix, but it is a nice thought. I would hope to see a Harvard at some point from Airfix to replace the rather ancient offering of theirs. To be honest. I'll take any trainer they produce as I'm one of those oddballs that likes training aircraft. Oh! For a Fiat G.46!

On the Prentice note though, I do have the Gerald Elliott vac form kit, but Dora Wings did tell me it's on their radar for next year. So you may get your wish, just not from airfix.

Edit: Yes! The Anson C.21 is a good shout. I'd snuffle up several of those!

Steve

Edited by fightersweep
  • Thanks 1

Silly time...………………………………………………..

1/48

SUNDERLAND

Now that would be totally left field

Dick

1 hour ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Simple... the T-33 has never been operated by any British service. Now I know that this is not a particular criteria for Airfix to choose it's subjects, although somehow I think it does hold some weight. 

Cheers.. Dave 

A good number of RAF pilots trained in the T-33, as quite a few went to Canada in the 1950s to learn to fly with the RCAF. In any case, the MiG-17 shows that Airfix do like to play the occasional joker.

• Like 1

Following the recent posts, I'll concede that a T-33 from Airfix is unlikely though nonetheless credible.  Still can't understand why Revell Germany haven't tooled it though.

In talking of Silver Star wasn't aware that GWH had already tooled it.  I was really talking of it as a classic 'development' by Airfix from an 'straight' T-33. I was also thinking 1/72, though there's no reason Airfix couldn't produce it 1/48.

1 hour ago, TEMPESTMK5 said:

The problem with the Platz kits is their price and relative availability.

I love T-33, so many colour schemes, so many users around the world and thus a lot of appeal. A cheaper, more readily available option would be very welcome!

• Like 1