Airfix 2020

jenko

2 hours ago, Dave Fleming said:

I have only one, yet one friend has built several Phantoms with several more still to go.

Well, money permitting, I aim to buy one for every decal option provided for in the kits! 😂

Allan

16 hours ago, Albeback52 said:

The mere fact that we now have different boxings /versions of the same basic kit suggest to me that sales of the kit have in fact been very good and, that the kit, warts and all has been a great success.

Allan

Airfix needs to get the tooling to break even - there's more chance of people buying three different boxings than three of the same boxing. Look at the recent Canberra boxing which has sold poorly (to stockists) - Airfix has provided new decal options into the same kit (literally) and shortly people will be going crackers for them. 

Cheers,

WV908 

2 minutes ago, WV908 said:

Airfix needs to get the tooling to break even - there's more chance of people buying three different boxings than three of the same boxing. Look at the recent Canberra boxing which has sold poorly (to stockists) - Airfix has provided new decal options into the same kit (literally) and shortly people will be going crackers for them. 

Cheers,

WV908 

Fair point.

However, I still don't accept that sales of the Phantom were adversely affected by issues that, in all reality, very few probably cared about👍😊. However, that's digressing slightly.

I guess it is unlikely that 2020 will see Airfix produce a brand new J-79 Phantom. Plenty of them around but, they seem to be predominantly  the short nosed versions. Maybe there is room for  a new F-4E/F/G/RF-4?

Allan

Ps. Yes, the new Canberra options are very attractive. Just a pity they weren't in the one true scale (1/72)😉

• Like 5

Surprised they have not released their 1/72  Canberras, anyway not yet. I know there was some issues with them but at least they were available.

Regards

Robert

• Like 1

^^ I'd also wish they would do variants like the B-17 early G with the un-staggered waist positions, and while we're just at it the F and E variants, and the C, and D.

We are allowed to dream aren't we ?

40 minutes ago, 85sqn said:

De Havilland Chipmunk 1/48

It's iconic and there are more paint schemes than you can shake a stick at, c'mon Airfix!

I can actually see this coming to effect. At one time Airfix were keen to provide us with a whole raft of 1/72 RAF trainers, however they seem to be favouring 1/48 now and a Chippy would be the perfect partner to the new 1/48 Tiger Moth. They already do the Gnat and Hawk, so upscale the JP and Vampire in a few years and we are all in for good times. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, 85sqn said:

De Havilland Chipmunk 1/48

It's iconic and there are more paint schemes than you can shake a stick at, c'mon Airfix!

I would have thought a 1/48 Harvard before the Chippie, even more paint schemes, and operators around the world.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, john224 said:

I would have thought a 1/48 Harvard before the Chippie, even more paint schemes, and operators around the world.

As long as it’s one of the ‘proper’ CCF built ones with the fixed rear canopy, or tooled in a way so that both can be done.

Trevor

5 minutes ago, john224 said:

Probably, although one would think that as the Chipmunk has never been kitted in this scale by a mainstream manufacturer, it would create a bit more wow factor and sales appeal.... perhaps? 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, john224 said:

I would have thought a 1/72nd Harvard before a 1/48th...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Wez said:

I would have thought a 1/72nd Harvard before a 1/48th...

Only said 1/48 because Airfix seem to be getting serious about 1/48, and to me an aircraft that size suits 1/48 more than 1/72. (It's my eyes you understand!)

To play the devil's advocate for a moment - the Harvard's been done, in both 1:72 and 1:48 (OK, they're not perfect, but they're there) whereas the Chippie has never been done in 1:48 by anyone other than Aeroclub. I'd argue that makes the Chippie more of a possibility.

Not to say that we don't need new, state-of-the-art kits of both aircraft in both scales, though!

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Probably, although one would think that as the Chipmunk has never been kitted in this scale by a mainstream manufacturer, it would create a bit more wow factor and sales appeal.... perhaps? 

perhaps it's just me, but I find it strange the interest in the Chipmunk , and the tiger Moth for that matter strangle. . I get the both have never been really be kitted and that Tiger Moth in particular was widely used but to me it's it's still just a trainer aircraft .  I have even less interest in the Chipmunk.. I can't see then flying out the door like a Buccaneer or Spitfire Vc  would

3 hours ago, Calum said:

perhaps it's just me, but I find it strange the interest in the Chipmunk , and the tiger Moth for that matter strangle. . I get the both have never been really be kitted and that Tiger Moth in particular was widely used but to me it's it's still just a trainer aircraft .  I have even less interest in the Chipmunk.. I can't see then flying out the door like a Buccaneer or Spitfire Vc  would

ah, you underestimate your fellow modellers. A goodly number on here were weaned on the Chippie.

In Air Experience Flights with the ATC, then perhaps learning to fly in one. From the 1950s through to the mid 1970s so many thousands of ATC cadets had their first taste of flying in the Chippie. Besides RAF use it was used by the RN and Army Air Corps as well a host of foreign countries as a basic introductory trainer. Its still used by the BBMF for tail-dragger experience.  Its a nice looking trainer, easy to fly. Over the 73 years its been around its had many users in a good number of colour schemes,

I think, given the chance to build a good Chipmunk kit, a lot of modellers, especially ex-ATC,  will choose to build one they flew. As I did;

Chimpmunk%20WP860%2C%2006s-M.jpg

• Like 10

On 05/09/2019 at 08:41, TEMPESTMK5 said:

Good morning

My 2 cents in 1/72 :

Aircraft

- Spitfire Mk Vc

- Spitfire Mk XIV High and Low Back

- Tempest Mk II/V/VI

- Fairey Battle

- DH Mosquito

- P 38 Lightning early

- P 51 B/C Mustang

- P 47 C/D Thunderbolt

- F6F Hellcat

- F8F Bearcat

- Douglas Dauntless

- Douglas Skyraider family

On 05/09/2019 at 08:41, TEMPESTMK5 said:

- F 80 C Shooting Star

- F84F Thunderjet

- A 4 E/F Skyhawk (the HB is simply much too expensive for me ..).

- I also would like Airfix to retool their old 1/76 Vehicles serie : 

- Raf Refuelling set

- Raf Emergency set

etc ...

Patrice

1 hour ago, Black Knight said:

ah, you underestimate your fellow modellers. A goodly number on here were weaned on the Chippie.

In Air Experience Flights with the ATC, then perhaps learning to fly in one. From the 1950s through to the mid 1970s so many thousands of ATC cadets had their first taste of flying in the Chippie. Besides RAF use it was used by the RN and Army Air Corps as well a host of foreign countries as a basic introductory trainer. Its still used by the BBMF for tail-dragger experience.  Its a nice looking trainer, easy to fly. Over the 73 years its been around its had many users in a good number of colour schemes,

I think, given the chance to build a good Chipmunk kit, a lot of modellers, especially ex-ATC,  will choose to build one they flew. As I did;

Chimpmunk%20WP860%2C%2006s-M.jpg

Although I think a Harvard more likely, I would definitely buy a Chippie for that very reason. My only regret is that my CCF Flight Lieutenant somehow lost my Cadet Log Book (I only have a replacement), so I have no idea which Chippie's I flew in. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, john224 said:

. . .  My only regret is that my CCF Flight Lieutenant somehow lost my Cadet Log Book (I only have a replacement), so I have no idea which Chippie's I flew in. 

You too? 

I'll say no more as I don't want to hijack the thread

20 hours ago, Worms said:

Obviously lots of us on here that had first flight experience in the venerable old Chippie! 😍

I still have my ATC 3822 and the list of glider and Air Experience flights in Chipmunks, Wessex and Belfast. Nine different Chippies are listed!  And I have modelled 4 of them plus an Aeroclub 48th one. All in either silver/dayglo or light aircraft grey /dayglo.  Never got to fly in a red white scheme one.  So a new state of the art  tool from Airfix will be marvellous  to 48th and 1/72nd.   A decent 72nd Harvard from Airfix will be wondrous too!

• Like 2