Airfix 2020

jenko

13 hours ago, Giorgio N said:

There's nothing major wrong with the Hasegawa 1/72 Starfighters. There are several details that are wrong, like the shape of certain large panels, the lack of features on the wings and the lack of the gun gas purge vents, so a new F-104 kit to the standard of the most recent kits in the market would be welcome. At the same time I personally don't think that a kit made to Airfix current quality level would be a huge improvement over the Hasegawa kit, it may be better in some areas but inferior in others. Said that, the Starfighter is a popular subject in Europe and if Airfix have good sales in this part of the world it's a subject they may consider. More so as the competition would mainly come from the Revell kit, that is itself inferior to the Hasegawa offering.

On the matter of variants, no, Hasegawa do not offer early Starfighters in 1/72, only the G based airframes.

The most recent Hasegawa Starfighter kit was first released as an F-104J in 1989. So the tooling is now 30 years old. They build up quite nicely, but there is definitely scope for a new kit. As you say, Hasegawa has provided single-seat and two seat versions of the J and G variants, with some boxings providing decals for CF-104s. There have also been a number of boxings for "one-off" variants, like the CCV version.

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/hasegawa-01001-f-104j-starfighter--135624

16 hours ago, Dennis_C said:

Yeah... I've recently bought three kits for a small spitfire project: Tamiya, Eduard and Airfix pr.XIX. Airfix is perfectly toyish unfortunately... Same about their mk.I They surely could attempt e.g. mk IX market. Not everyone gets and likes overcomplicated Eduard so I do not believe market is occupied. 

Agreed-Airfix's 1/72 spits are due a re-tool to bring them up to the standard of the rest of their range. Mk I, V and IX please.

I'd also say a new tool 1/72 B-24 Liberator is a fair bet.

Edited by RussellE

8 hours ago, VMA131Marine said:

The most recent Hasegawa Starfighter kit was first released as an F-104J in 1989. So the tooling is now 30 years old. They build up quite nicely, but there is definitely scope for a new kit. As you say, Hasegawa has provided single-seat and two seat versions of the J and G variants, with some boxings providing decals for CF-104s. There have also been a number of boxings for "one-off" variants, like the CCV version.

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/hasegawa-01001-f-104j-starfighter--135624

Also they did boxing's of Italian machines like S and S.ASA as well.

Highly improbable though that Airfix tries early Strafighters either.

Edited by Dennis_C

I reckon Airfix should concentrate on re tooling their back catalogue. Lots in there that would do well.  Plus ones they never did often asked for here like the Venom etc.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Paul J said:

I reckon Airfix should concentrate on re tooling their back catalogue. Lots in there that would do well.  Plus ones they never did often asked for here like the Venom etc.

Airfix has an F-104 in the back catalogue. 

5 hours ago, spaddad said:

Hi Tricky,

long time no see, how you doin'? Good news about the Airfix club, I asked about it six months ago when they said they were going to resurrect the club 'in the near future' but I'd just about given up hope

Dave, good to hear from you - i am OK thanks, hope you are too.

Now down to this speculation stuff

I see that we have wish lists, the doom mongers, the optimists (me), the moon on a stick hopefuls and those who love to debate some detail or other.

It all adds to the joys of modelling and who knows what Airfix will release (other than Hornby of course)

We get the odd good clue and they have told us on many occasions that they will only use manufacturer's drawings or the real thing. Even then it deosnt mean it will make it to a kit (This happened when they planned a B52 - but found too many design variations in the  drawings)

Somone on here spotted an F35 when they released a video of the Hellcat or something in the design office - so that would make sense to issue

There is the old issue of what gaps they have in the market i.e the 1/48th Mustang - and hence why Eduard are doing them too, these come at the expense of a wider range of subjects but each company has to make money

So my guess would be around 4 new tool kits

I would expect to see the following in the next 2 years

1/350 QEC

1/72 or 1/48 F35

1/72 Vulcan

1/72 MOSQUITO

Modified tools

1/48 Hunter F9

1/72 Wimpy

1/72 Naval SeaKing

1/72 RAF Bucanneer

1/48 Hurricane MkII

1/72 Beaufighter (MkI and long shot MkII)

1/48 Late Stuka D or G?

My Suggestions/Wish List

1/48 Lysander

1/48 Hunter T7/T8

1/48 METEOR T7

1/48 WESTLAND WASP/SCOUT

1/48 CHIPMUNK

1/72 CANBERRA B2

1/48 HAMPDEN/HALIFAX/LANCASTER (really think any of these would be a big seller)

1/48 SEAKING

1/48 PHANTOM (SPEY)

1/72 JAVELIN

1/48 GAZELLE

off the wall suggestions:

1/48 Wildcat

1/48 Zero

1/72 Venom

1/72 Tornado

1/72 Typhoon

1/48 SABRE

1/72 MARAUDER

1/72 B24

and i could go on and on

So keep the speculation coming

Rich

Edited by trickydicky210
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, trickydicky210 said:

Modified tools

1/48 Hunter F9

1/72 Wimpy

1/72 Naval SeaKing

1/72 RAF Bucanneer

1/48 Hurricane MkII

Wouldn't bet against a GA11 Hunter too - the clear sprue has the Harley Light cover. The Wimpey CAD showed a Merlin engined version, so presumably we will see that at some point to go with the forthcoming maritme one.

The Sea King is a bit more unlikely - the kit is very definitely a late mark HAR3 or HC4 and would need quite a bit of modification to build an early or later HAS (Got a HAS 2 conversion on the bench at the moment).

I still want a DH venom and a Fairey Battle

3 hours ago, Dennis_C said:

Did Airfix announce a dogfight double set with MiG-17? I guess something that fought against MiG-17 can be next.

Israeli Air Forces Mirage IIIC? A new Mirage would be nice. Israeli or USAF F4 Phantom? Although, with an abundance of kits of the J-79 Phantom around, I guess Airfix won't be in a rush to produce one.

PRC Mig - 17 v Republic of China F-86?.

Allan

On 9/6/2019 at 9:43 AM, PhantomBigStu said:

I’ve said before I’ve been told there’s a big subject that’s been held back that would interest me so immediately that says 1/72, it’s got to come out eventually and I think next year is that time, herc after Vulcan tops the list of likely candidates

You make be on to something with the herc - possible in 2021?  My source has stated that it is in the design stage.

Now is the question is are we both getting the same information from the same person or different people?

The same person or different people: what is their sense of humour like?

The tanks Airfix have released are all old tooling from outside, hence cheap.  I doubt that this is a route they are likely to take with their aircraft side - although they did briefly under a previous management.

1 hour ago, TEXANTOMCAT said:

Ref an F-35 - now they have had a recent collaboration with Academy wouldn’t it make more sense for them to issue their Dave rather than tooling anew? With a full RAF decal sheet... 

TT

Ah but we have the Dave B not the Dave A, so far there is only the Fujimi dated F-35B and the Hasegawa F-35B and neither have done a British boxing as yet.

I suspect they would possibly go for their own kit if the UK MOD and RAF allow it along with the LM led consortium and the Licence they would need fork out for. (part of the reason for the preference to out of service types as cheaper to licence, and not quite as much red tape and hurdles to face to get an acceptable, accurate kit whilst still respecting the secrecy over certain aspects operational in-service types)

• Thanks 1