Airfix 2020

jenko

Airfix tried to drift over to a rolling release letting the news out on the Workbench, but the bulk buyers on retail didn't like this as they do orders on an annual basis, same goes for the Christmas or New Year release of the following years range as they would be off over the holiday season, so it went back to a first week back at work schedule nicely ahead of the toy fairs. They also paid the price when the new kit kitty was cutback and they had to pull the 48th Hunter reveal from SMW as they had nothing new for their new years catalogue !

I suspect Aifix will have a reveal at SMW for something for 2020, its an ideal showcase for them, although not sure what it may be.

The 72nd RAF Buccaneer is probably a no brainer, along with possibly another Mig17 boxing, and we may see the Merlin powered Wellington.

The SAR Wessex on the Phantom FG1 and now Buccaneer S2 boxes might indicate a Wessex HAS1 in the works for the Ark Royal Airgroup collection (cant see them doing the Gannet, and I think the Sea King requires a new fuselage to backdate to a HAS1/2).

I would actually like to see them do the Typhoon, the F-35B to represent what our actual frontline aircraft.

If going for a bigger kit then they should really replace their old C-130 Hercules Kit, either a current long C-130J that we still use as they are not available as a kit, or do the tooling to allow for the short and Stretched fuselages, and alternative parts to allow the C1 to C5 to be built (probably as different boxings for K and J of course) .  

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Paul Bradley said:

More likely they fill in the gaps in their Tiger I range - early mid-production Tiger I, the late mid-production Tiger I, the late early-production Tiger I, the early early-production Tiger I, the early late-production Tiger I, the mid late-production Tiger I and the late late-production Tiger I.

Were all these options accommodated for in the Academy tooling? Airfix is not going to be able to release versions that Academy didn't produce themselves. If the new 1/35 range sold well, I'd expect Airfix to start creating their own 1/35th scale armour kits eventually.

9 minutes ago, VMA131Marine said:

Were all these options accommodated for in the Academy tooling? Airfix is not going to be able to release versions that Academy didn't produce themselves. If the new 1/35 range sold well, I'd expect Airfix to start creating their own 1/35th scale armour kits eventually.

I think the snarckasm went over your head. 😋  How many different boxings did Academy release? Just countering those who say Airfix release too many Spitfires......😎

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Geoff_B said:

If going for a bigger kit then they should really replace their old C-130 Hercules Kit, either a current long C-130J that we still use as they are not available as a kit, or do the tooling to allow for the short and Stretched fuselages, and alternative parts to allow the C1 to C5 to be built (probably as different boxings for K and J of course) .  

Just a passing thought but, would it not maybe be practical to produce a basic kit with the short fuselage and, provide inserts for the stretched version?

This would of course involve a bit of cutting but, no more than would have been necessary for using the old Flightpath conversion set? Certainly not beyond most of us surely?

Allan

44 minutes ago, Albeback52 said:

Just a passing thought but, would it not maybe be practical to produce a basic kit with the short fuselage and, provide inserts for the stretched version?

This would of course involve a bit of cutting but, no more than would have been necessary for using the old Flightpath conversion set? Certainly not beyond most of us surely?

Allan

It is not an approach that a mainstream manufacturer would take. Anyone who buys something from a company like Airfix would generally want to be able to build the kit without having to worry about cutting a fuselage, so the company must give all the parts needed to complete all variants proposed in the box without this kind of work.

Something similar of course happens in a few kits, but most are from companies like Special Hobby, that generally target more "advanced" modellers.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Giorgio N said:

It is not an approach that a mainstream manufacturer would take. Anyone who buys something from a company like Airfix would generally want to be able to build the kit without having to worry about cutting a fuselage, so the company must give all the parts needed to complete all variants proposed in the box without this kind of work.

Something similar of course happens in a few kits, but most are from companies like Special Hobby, that generally target more "advanced" modellers.

Fair comment. I suppose the alternative then would be providing a multi section fuselage with all the associated alignment issues!

Maybe not such a good idea after all!

Allan😀

28 minutes ago, Albeback52 said:

Fair comment. I suppose the alternative then would be providing a multi section fuselage with all the associated alignment issues!

Maybe not such a good idea after all!

Allan😀

Really the very best solution would be moulding separate fuselages for the standard and stretched variants. This of course would be more expensive... and I believe that in end if Airfix decided to offer a new Hercules, the most likely course of action would simply be to chose a variant and kit that variant only.

We tend to look at matters like this with the eye of the "advanced" modellers, who are always ready to build multiple variants, including some of the most exotic ones, while it's often necessary to look at things with the eye of the manufacturer. Some of these are happy to design modular kits that would allow them to cover several variants, others prefer to stick to a single variant, on the premise that a modeller interested in a certain subject would find such subject in the company catalogue, even if it's a different variant. Airfix for the most part seem happy to follow the latter strategy. Makes sense to them while we modellers can still rely on aftermarket products to build something different from the basic kit

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PhantomBigStu said:

I’ve said before I’ve been told there’s a big subject that’s been held back that would interest me so immediately that says 1/72, it’s got to come out eventually and I think next year is that time, herc after Vulcan tops the list of likely candidates

So spill the beans, it is Rumourmonger after all.

Regards

Robert

I love this game as each year some of my candidates can be crossed from my personal list from the year before. So:

1:48:

- Spey Phantom, Buccaneer, Spitfire XIV high back, Vampire family, D.H. Hampden, Seaking, D.H. 88 Comet (was announced elsewhere here by another company)

1:72:

- Vulcan, new tool Concorde (unrealistic but hey...), Republic XR-12 rainbow (just to make the Concorde appear more realistic)

1:144:

- New tool Space Shuttle with ET and SRB (now we are into esoteric stuff)

1:24 (unlikely to have something in this scale next year):

- Me 262, Corsair and - proof I completely lost my marbles: Lunar Module

:popcorn:

Whatever they release it will sell if they improve overall quality and finesse of toolings and equally important improve quality of manufacturing process ( both styrene and injection molding)

As for subjects,

please new 1/24 Spitfire Mk.I and 1/48 Buccaneer.

So at a recent club meeting, the rumour from along the North Kent coast was that the 2020 release list is confirmed........

....Advice to all assembled modellers was to off load your 1/72 Vulcans....

Personally, I would not expect a new 1/72 Vulcan until 2021/ 2022, with a tie in with the 40th anniversary of the Black Buck Raids...

I am hopping for a 1/72 Wessex, and in view of some recent art work, prospects are looking positive

3 hours ago, Robert said:

So spill the beans, it is Rumourmonger after all.

Regards

Robert

No beans, all I know is 1. It’s big. 2. It was described as of Interest to me so implies 1/72 British as does the source and 3. It was held back relatively late in the process so there’s only so long it can be sat on, why I’m convinced having already seen one new bigun since that time it’s next years flagship release 

1 hour ago, 1903flight said:

So at a recent club meeting, the rumour from along the North Kent coast was that the 2020 release list is confirmed........

....Advice to all assembled modellers was to off load your 1/72 Vulcans....

Personally, I would not expect a new 1/72 Vulcan until 2021/ 2022, with a tie in with the 40th anniversary of the Black Buck Raids...

I am hopping for a 1/72 Wessex, and in view of some recent art work, prospects are looking positive

So, that'll be the rumour based on hearsay and backed up by speculation following a comment from someone at one of Mystic Meg's tea leaf readings? 😉😂

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

I doubt very much if anyone (other than those sworn to secrecy) knows the Airfix list for 2020.

Do you remember a posting some years back when the individual's cleaner's babysitter's boyfriend's dogwalker' drinking companion was a Security Guard at their offices and had seen a  1/24th at Lysander there ?

Per earlier postings, I would expect all save one of the 2020 releases to be announced just ahead of the Trade Fairs at the turn of the year.  Workbench and Aeredrome postings will be limited to progress on what has already been announced.

Something totally new for Telford and it can't be too small, a new variant, or a re-issue.  A new 1/72 Chipmunk would be a joke and another Wellington variant hardly news, likewise reissue of the Anson.  At the very least a totally new/retool 1/72 twin or 1/48 single engined subject.  Even with their perceived selection criteria (which I won't repeat) there are just too many possibles.  Wishes aplenty, hard facts none.

Painful though it may be, it's down to waiting for Telford, now only some 8 weeks away.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Denford said:

there are just too many possibles.  Wishes aplenty, hard facts none.

Very perceptive words and good observation on the position,

Another 2020 question - We have seen a  delay in the release of Aifix Classic Aircraft - I wonder if this gives a message about the return of any other future "classics"?

• Like 2

8 hours ago, PhantomBigStu said:

No beans, all I know is 1. It’s big. 2. It was described as of Interest to me so implies 1/72 British as does the source and 3. It was held back relatively late in the process so there’s only so long it can be sat on, why I’m convinced having already seen one new bigun since that time it’s next years flagship release 

I don't know your specific interests, but that description narrows the possibilities... a bit:

Vulcan

Short Sperrin

Short Belfast

Blackburn Beverly

A.W. Argosy

Sunderland

Stirling

Halifax

Avro Lincoln

Lockheed C-130 Hercules 

VC-10 K-1/2/3/4

Lockheed Tristar K.1/C.2

Boeing P-8A Poseidon

Bristol Brabazon

SaRo Princess

Bristol Britannia

What did I miss?

I can a Airfix going 1/32 and make Beaufighter & Defiant and in 1/24 Il-2m3 Sturmovik. And any japanese fighter in car scale- Tony will be nice ! And WAH-64 Apache. Aaand Mi-24 HIND.

But desperately need and still wait for new tool B-17 & B-24 & B-29. And as bonus B-52 & B-2 ! All in 1/48. Minimal B-17 will be nice...

And 1/24 Chief Detective inspector Barnaby & Sgt. Troy & Cali Barnaby and Lt.Columbo and his Peugeot 403 roadster & dog Dog. And pin up girls in 1/16 scale (120 mm).

I would like to see the following RAF aircraft in 1/72 scale:-

DH Hornet  1/3.

DH Venom FB.1/4.

Avro Anson C.19.

Avro Lincoln.

DH Vampire NF. 10.

Gloster Javelin ( Any Mark ).

Blackburn Beverley.

BAC Jaguar GR. 1/3.

Bristol Blenheim V.

Bristol Belvedere.

BAC Canberra B.2 etc.

Fairey Battle.

HP Halifax B. 111/VII.

Hawker Hart family.

Hawker Tempest V/VI/11.

NA Harvard.

Vickers Valetta.

Vickers Varsity.

Westland Whirlwind helicopter.

Westland Wessex.

Just a few to consider for the future?

• Like 1

On 9/4/2019 at 11:31 PM, Aeronut said:

As Airfix have finally accepted that 1:35 is a scale there is a market for can I reissue a previous suggestion but change the scale?  Go Airfix you know that a 1:35 Tetrarch or M22 Locust with a Hamilcar to keep them in makes sense............. to my warped

mind anyway. 🤪

On 9/4/2019 at 2:47 PM, Scimitar F1 said:

Now this would make a lot of sense.

Will

M-22 Locust in US and UK version - with interior make Bronco. And it is very nice kit.

I think Airfix is "UK National treasure" so can make important British types - 1/48 Wellington was be nice, too same long nose Blenheim, Handley Page Hampden - and what not - accurate and to day quality quarter scale Lancaster ! Yup, i wait for 1/32 WnW, but this is a luxury commodity, Tamiya is little upgraded, but still "vintage" kit. Maybe Halifax and Stirling was too nice, but Lancaster is really iconic type... And in small scale make Airfix a Hercules engine powered Lanc too... And beautiful and elegant  Martin Marauder was too good option.

So i can:

1/48 Lancaster

1/48 Wellington

1/48 Hampden

1/48 MARAUDER !!!!

1/48 Battle

1/48 Long nosed Blenheim

1/48 short nosed "Blennu" re-box

1/48 He-177 Greif

1/48 C-46 Commando

and too very nice option was

1/48 JU-290 "Seeadler" - beautiful and BIG aircraft.

Yup, i know Junkers, and Greif probably not but why not Lancaster ?

Edited by AlCZ
new text