Airfix 2020

jenko

Things seem very quiet on the Airfix front at the moment after their "big" releases of the 1/24 Hellcat and the 1/48 Blenheim, with only 3 (?) new tools in development (1/72 Buccaneer, Mig 17 and a 1/48 Tiger Moth) with a bunch of "tweaked" kits to fill the void, so it must be time to start speculating again on this thread on what new tools will be announced for next years range, given that Crimbo is only just around the corner...😯

Something that probably gives Airfix management many sleepless nights, their forum moderators endless amusement and which I've ironically very little interest in: a new tool 1/72 Avro Vulcan! 😊

• Like 2

4 hours ago, RussellE said:

Things seem very quiet on the Airfix front at the moment after their "big" releases of the 1/24 Hellcat and the 1/48 Blenheim, with only 3 (?) new tools in development (1/72 Buccaneer, Mig 17 and a 1/48 Tiger Moth) with a bunch of "tweaked" kits to fill the void, so it must be time to start speculating again on this thread on what new tools will be announced for next years range, given that Crimbo is only just around the corner...😯

Something that probably gives Airfix management many sleepless nights, their forum moderators endless amusement and which I've ironically very little interest in: a new tool 1/72 Avro Vulcan! 😊

For "speculating", you surely mean "fantasising"? 😉😂

For myself, I much prefer the howls of outrage and, the outpourings of frustration from hordes of disappointed modellers whose current fantasy (a k a sure fire best selling goldmine of a kit) has yet again not materialised. Can be very entertaining! 😊

I'm not going to speculate /fantasise here because I am sure Airfix (and others) will produce something I like but at the end of the day, it is all a bit of fun.

Airfix will probably make some sort of announcement towards the end of the year. I am sure it will be met with howls of despair and delight in equal measure! 😂

No, I am not that bothered about a new Vulcan kit either!

Allan

Ps - Happy speculating! 😊

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Albeback52 said:

Airfix will probably make some sort of announcement towards the end of the year. I am sure it will be met with howls of despair and delight in equal measure! 😂

No, I am not that bothered about a new Vulcan kit either!

Allan

Ps - Happy speculating! 😊

I'm hoping that they will announce something at Telford, as they have almost every year.

For Vulcan fans the crucial factor is first and foremost whether the Victor made money: Hornby Hobby\Airfix's sole objective.  Only they know and they're not saying, but if it didn't then definitely no Vulcan!  If it did, I still contend that it is unlikely until the present mold is worn out.  At a rough count there are some 10-15 similarly sized subjects ranging from a Halifax through Privateer, Lincoln to Hercules that could meet their criteria for (re)tooling.

But as a general observation, there seems to be:

- An increase in 1/48 at the expense of 1/72 - to me a pity as I'm strictly the latter.

- A reluctance to tool 1/48 subjects in 1/72, so alas no Meteor or Spitfire XlV

- 'Pushing the boundaries': Helicopters don't sell, nor apparently does WW l, so where else to go?  Who ever would have guessed a MiG-17 or for that matter a 1/48 Walrus followed by a Tiger Moth?  I have a hunch that if the latter sells well it may be followed in time by a 1/48 de H' Dragon Rapide  Worldwide use, infinite colour schemes and markings, graceful, several still flying: in fact exceeding Airfix's apparent selection criteria!  All it has to do is to make money....

- A new 1/24?  Firstly, Hellcat sales need to meet or exceed expectations, followed by a 3-4 ? year development period from the selected item on their short list.

- As for what's in 2020, the choice must be made from a huge pool of subjects that are out of production, far short of modern standard, expensive (Hello Hasegawa), not previously tooled etc.  Whatever their selection, it will delight some and disappoint others.  That's the only thing of which we can be sure!

• Like 3

Put sensible hat on for a moment.

1/48...…… we are due a biggy

Phantom

Buccaneer 

Beaufighter 

Dick

I´d be very happy with just a new fuselage half, specifically, an un-staggered starboard fuselage half for their in my opinion the best of the lot B-17G kit. Adding to that, they could also do a new piece of clear sprue with three panel waist windows and the Stinger tail position. To go to extremes in the gizmo-effect, they could mold all of that in one clear plastic sprue for those of us (not me, but there are some) wishing to display the buttoned up interior as well :coolio:. V-P

• Like 3

I m a bit frustrated that they lately concentrate on 1/48 and starve 1/72 a bit.

I am also wondering why they ignore the potential of a new Fairey Battle series that include all versions or Mustang B/C both in 1/72 of course.

I am aware we as customers have it easy to bitch but for them these are not easy decisions.

As long they bring out new kits (ahem preferable in1/72 of course) every year we can be thankful.

• Like 2

While I understand the 1/24 fans I think this scale takes up too much resources that could well be used for two or three or even four smaller projects.

That's just me, I shut up now.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, David A Collins said:

Please please please AIRFIX can I have a 1/24 scale Sea Hornet F.20 for Christmas please 😀

I think that you probably deserve Father Christmas bringing you a 1/1 scale Sea Hornet after all you've done for this and other endangered species! 😉

2 hours ago, 593jones said:

I'm waiting for the Hampden, 1/72 or 1/48, I don't mind which, followed by a Manchester.  Not holding my breath, though :(

A decent Hampden in 48th would be fantastic!

In 24th I would really like to see a jet next.  Sabre (with RAF option) would be popular.

...while we are at it - my wish is that Airfix gets rid of the trench digger in their employ  😎

I can (and often do) my own panelling - but it is far easier when I don't have to start by filling a massive amount of trenching - the differential in hardness makes the repanelling a LOT more laborious. 😝

Cheers, Moggy

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, occa said:

a new Fairey Battle series that include all versions or Mustang B/C both in 1/72 of course.

Those seem like excellent suggestions, especially the Mustang, considering how often it comes up on wish lists here and elsewhere. Seems like a guaranteed success, as much as anything can be "guaranteed".

John

Edited by John Thompson
  • Like 1

Don't forget the Hunter F4. This is the first time that an early Hunter has been tooled in any scale other than the antediluvian Frog Mk1.

My guess would be a 1/24th scale kit in 2021 - and my money would be on a Sea Fury or a Sabre

For next year I expect a 1/48 Blenheim IV, a Vampire or Venom - probably the former, a PRXI Spitfire (not many Spits left un-kitted now but that stands out)

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Moggy said:

...while we are at it - my wish is that Airfix gets rid of the trench digger in their employ  😎

I can (and often do) my own panelling - but it is far easier when I don't have to start by filling a massive amount of trenching - the differential in hardness makes the repanelling a LOT more laborious. 😝

Cheers, Moggy

You don’t enjoy 1/1 scale panel lines?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Elkin said:

Airfix did the Swift but have neglected to produce a far better candidate, The De Havilland Venom ! No decent 1:72 kit available, why ?

The answer is, as always, did the Swift make money?  If it didn't then, broadly, it puts other like contemporaries in the shade.

But why such and such a subject hasn't been (re)tooled is that there is such a huge pool from which to choose.  Whatever is chosen can only be at the expense of something else.  

The best one can hope for is to please some of the people from time to time.  But Airfix aren't in the business of pleasing dedicated modellers and Britmodeller readers.  It is making money, across all segments of the market and around the world.  They alone know where their markets are and I wish them well and a return to sustained profitability.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Moggy said:

Cheers, Moggy

Sorry Moggy, the Airfix panel line maker is not a trench digger, that honour belongs to whoever did the panel lines for some of the Matchbox kits, the Airfix panel lines are not even close to being a ditch compared to the Matchbox ones!

Is it unreasonable to ask for a 1/72nd scale:

Long canopied Harvard

Spitfire Vc

Canberra B.2/6

Lightning F.1/3

Hunter T.7

Vought Corsair

Grumman Hellcat

Having just produced a 1/24th kit I guess we'll have to wait a little while for another one, I for one would love to se a DeHavilland Vampire in that scale, it's about the right size and comes in a plethora of colour schemes.

Edited by Wez
  • Like 3