Airfix 2020

jenko

2 hours ago, Wez said:

You're dead right there, in terms of getting LIDAR anywhere near an F-35, have you guys heard of ITAR?

The punishments associated with an ITAR breach are severe, nobody in the MoD is going to let anyone with such scanning equipment anywhere near anything covered by ITAR and you can bet your bottom dollar the F-35 WILL be covered.

I'm very familiar with ITAR regulations. It's not entirely clear that the external shape of the F-35 would be covered. How else to explain Italeri's 1/32nd scale kit produced with explicit licensing authority from Lockheed-Martin.

18 minutes ago, VMA131Marine said:

I'm very familiar with ITAR regulations. It's not entirely clear that the external shape of the F-35 would be covered. How else to explain Italeri's 1/32nd scale kit produced with explicit licensing authority from Lockheed-Martin.

I would expect Italeri's kit was based on publicly released data, not the subtle nuances of detail that LIDAR would give.

My point is for those expecting Marham's Station Commander to open the gates to let Airfix come waltzing in with their LIDAR equipment to forget it, the poor chap will be cacking himself at the thought of an ITAR infringement. There's a cat in hell's chance of it happening.

3 hours ago, Parrahs said:

Isn't 2020 a tad late for that?

I would be most happy to see new and proper Apollo and other Space related kits but I fear the request in general is rather low. Just have a look at all those kits released this year for the 59th anniversary moon landing...

But a new tool Seaking in 1:48 would be nice. Yes I know - 1:48 choppers are almost as well represented as real space kits...

On 5/19/2019 at 8:33 AM, RHWinter said:

So no Airfix 1/48th scale Blenheim Mk.IV On the horizon for me. What a pity (for me)!

Not sure you can draw that conclusion, just  because the Duxford example is a Bolingbrooke in origin.

As was already said Airfix were well aware of this, hence the need to visit the Finnish Air Force Museum when planning their new 1/48th kit. I don't actually have the kit so not sure whether it would lend itself to a Mk.IV issue with appropriate parts; however the actual example Airfix examined / photographed  in Finland was a genuine Blenheim Mk.IV. So I would imagine the Airfix designer would have been well aware of all the differences between a Mk.I and Mk.IV.  Given Airfix policy of releasing different marks from a single kit, it has to be a reasonable assumption that an option for a Mk.IV was considered (and possibly planned for) at an early stage of the kit's design.  Whether one will emerge... who knows! 

More background information on the Blenheim kit development in this Airfix Workbench Blog.

Rich

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Truro Model Builder said:

Given its operational record I'm hardly surprised.

Which is an argument that could be applied to a plethora of other aircraft, AFV’a etc that have made it into kit form over the years.

• Like 3

On ‎5‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 8:36 AM, PLC1966 said:

I think there is no question that Airfix will produce a new Mossie at one point, just surprising that they have gone to scan a Cosford exhibit when they must have excellent research info from the 1/24 model. 

The data for the 1/24 model may not have been quite as good as you believe.  Then there was no dedicated Researcher on the staff and some subtle differences may have been missed.  For example the canopies, with their various bulges and bumps change considerably over the variants.

Exhibits are not always accurately restored.  I believe the Tempest at Hendon has the spinner from a Hastings, and I think the Beaufighter there was 'assembled' from parts from different machines.  All genuine parts, but put together, not a totally accurate representation of any one variant.  A true, dedicated Researcher will spot this: a computer designer, however good, probably will not.

So, while there (others may speculate their direction) they may have been taking the opportunity to clear up some uncertainties.  Others may know better but did they actually scan it or record details by other means?  That said I still believe the de Havilland Heritage centre would be the best place to gather data.

A new 1/72 Mosquito will surely come some day, it just has to take its chances along with the many, many other choices.

Edited by Denford
  • Like 4

10 hours ago, Truro Model Builder said:

Given its operational record I'm hardly surprised.

And your point is? A poor operational record hasn't deterred production of subjects like the Fairey Battle, Brewster Buffalo,Douglas Devastator or Heinkel HE-177 . Airfix managed to produce two kits of an aircraft that was junked before it even entered production (TSR 2) and which therefore had zero operational record.

Allan

• Like 2

On 5/20/2019 at 11:14 PM, Truro Model Builder said:

Can't anybody take a joke these days? Or has humour departed the forum?

I can take a joke as well as anyone but, the way your comment was phrased it could have been taken either way ( and obviously was).That said,I apologise for my obvious misinterpretation. Still want a Blenheim V though!😏

Allan

Edited by Albeback52
  • Like 2

On 5/19/2019 at 8:30 PM, Wez said:

I would expect Italeri's kit was based on publicly released data, not the subtle nuances of detail that LIDAR would give.

My point is for those expecting Marham's Station Commander to open the gates to let Airfix come waltzing in with their LIDAR equipment to forget it, the poor chap will be cacking himself at the thought of an ITAR infringement. There's a cat in hell's chance of it happening.

Besides which, wouldn't it be invisible to LIDAR?  Tee hee. 

• Haha 3

18 hours ago, Denford said:

The data for the 1/24 model may not have been quite as good as you believe.  Then there was no dedicated Researcher on the staff and some subtle differences may have been missed.  For example the canopies, with their various bulges and bumps change considerably over the variants.

Exhibits are not always accurately restored.  I believe the Tempest at Hendon has the spinner from a Hastings, and I think the Beaufighter there was 'assembled' from parts from different machines.  All genuine parts, but put together, not a totally accurate representation of any one variant.  A true, dedicated Researcher will spot this: a computer designer, however good, probably will not.

So, while there (others may speculate their direction) they may have been taking the opportunity to clear up some uncertainties.  Others may know better but did they actually scan it or record details by other means?  That said I still believe the de Havilland Heritage centre would be the best place to gather data.

A new 1/72 Mosquito will surely come some day, it just has to take its chances along with the many, many other choices.

All good points that illustrate how the term "research" involves a lot more than a LIDAR scan or even the availability of a set of good drawings.

In the end the job of a "researcher" is to put all the data together, wherever this may be from, and integrate this into the final result. Modern technologies like LIDAR and CAD/CAM systems are great but there's always need of that someone, the "geek" who understands the subject and put all the pieces together.

As modellers many of us do just this, the research teams of plastic model manufacturers may or not have a person like this, some resort to the help of external personnel, others don't bother. But without that someone who understands the subject, even the best design teams may make mistakes that to certain enthusiasts would sound impossible

• Like 1

Concerning Hornby...

Looking at James May's BBC documentary one wonder if their railway kits has an bigger research, accuracy and quality controll compared to Airfix aircraft kits...

/André

On 5/21/2019 at 8:14 AM, Truro Model Builder said:

Can't anybody take a joke these days? Or has humour departed the forum?

I think this being Britmodeller we must be ready to assume sarcasm!

Now, this week I would like to request more variations on the Sabre, an early slatted wing version, and an Avon. Following my success in buying the tricky AZ Model MiG-17 (now announced by Airfix), I have procured the High Planes conversion and a Fujimi base kit, so it should be a matter of time. Come on Airfix, don't make me build them.

• Like 2

On 21/05/2019 at 23:16, Ratch said:

Given the variety of subjects, the Airfix (or any other major companies) researchers cannot possibly be experts in every one they produce.

Agreed, but if you've got somebody on board with a rich and varied background in aviation they at least know what they're looking at or the right questions to ask.

59 minutes ago, Peter Lloyd said:

I think this being Britmodeller we must be ready to assume sarcasm!

It should be a compulsory expectation IMO.

Edited by Wez

Good morning

Here is my little list in 1/72 scale :

- Spitfire Mk Vc

- Spitfire Mk XII

- Spitfire Mk XIV High and Low Back

- Tempest Mk II / V / VI

- P-51 B / C Mustang

- P-47 C / D Thunderbolt

- P-38 F Lightning

Patrice

• Like 2

1/72 scale?

Tempest Mk. II/V/VI would be nice. Matchbox did something there once.

An P-51B/C? Maybe, but my hopes goes to Arma Hobby.

As there are no HobbyCraft  longer nor any Avro CF-105 Arrow that would have been an nice surprice.

And of course an Scimitar...

Cheers / André

And it occurs to me that there could be another very simple reason why Airfix may have been measuring the Mosquito at Telford.

Measurements and possibly some design for the 1/24 Mosquito was undertaken by the original Airfix at Wandsworth, where I live.  In those days it was all 'pencil and paper', even if it was (supposedly) converted to digital for the definitive tooling.

Now the original designs must have been made in the early 80's before they went into receivership.  In the intervening period, 30+ years and with 2? changes of ownership, it would be remarkable if one or two things could no longer be found.  No hard-drive back ups in those days!

So Airfix may have been doing nothing more 'sinister' than measuring up to replace missing data.  But why Telford and not de H' Heritage centre?  Because they had 'other' unspecified reason(s) to be at Telford, and so took the opportunity to do Mosquito measurements there, rather than make a separate journey elsewhere.

It was Napoleon who said 'Never ascribe to Conspiracy that which can be explained by Incompetence'.  I'm not suggesting that Airfix were in any way Incompetent (in fact quite the reverse) but it does provide a very simple explanation for why they were doing something that they seemingly did not need to do.

10 hours ago, Denford said:

Hei,

Is there really a Mosquito on display in Telford or should it be Cosford or Duxford where I believe there are Mosquito T35s?

And it occurs to me that there could be another very simple reason why Airfix may have been measuring the Mosquito at Telford.

So Airfix may have been doing nothing more 'sinister' than measuring up to replace missing data.  But why Telford and not de H' Heritage centre?  Because they had 'other' unspecified reason(s) to be at Telford, and so took the opportunity to do Mosquito measurements there, rather than make a separate journey elsewhere.

13 hours ago, LN-KEH said:

Hei,

Is there really a Mosquito on display in Telford or should it be Cosford or Duxford where I believe there are Mosquito T35s?

You are quite right: I should have said Cosford, not Telford!  Must have been dreaming of the show there: only 5 months to go.