Airfix 2020

jenko

10 hours ago, Albeback52 said:

Almost as forgotten as the Martin Maryland!! At least there are short run kits available of both - if you can find them!! It's no more unlikely a subject than the Supermarine Swift and yet.....! I am still waiting for a Blenheim V!!!

Allan

Well there is at least a surviving Maryland, albeit stuck in the middle of an unfriendly country in Africa

fetch?id=3662301&d=1434444889

Edited by Dave Fleming

18 hours ago, David A Collins said:

Sea Venom

RAF Venoms

Scimitar

Swift - already done

Vampires - faces stiff competition from the Special Hobby Vampires

I like your list except for the Supermarine Even Fatter Knacker and the scale, I'd love to see these in 1/72nd. Airfix did a reasonable job of the Supermarine Fat Knacker in 1/72nd.  I'd like to see the Javelin and Sea Vixen scaled down to 1/72nd too!

8 hours ago, Paul J said:

New tool Harvard series with both types of rear end canopies,  Mosquito family, Hunter, Lysander,  Islander ( new tool would be good but a reissue just as welcome)....

Agree with all of these, I think they'd prove popular especially if Airfix either broke down the kits so they could maximise the moulds or did different versions to what everyone else is doing/has done, the long canopied Harvards and twin-stage Mossies for instance.

4 hours ago, milli21 said:

A few months back Airfix were looking at the Mosquito at Cosford...

That's hopeful because IIRC, it's a twin-stage Mossie, one can live in hope!

Edited by Wez
Grammar, punctuation, the English language frankly deserves better!
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, milli21 said:

As we know Airfix are very secretive about future releases, so it makes sense to lay false trails.  I'm sure reports of Vulcan LIDAR scanning are in this category.

Many other aircraft at Cosford could also be the subject of credible near-term release: Me410, Lincoln, and Ju88 (retooling) come immediately to mind.  It therefore advantageous look at as many such types as possible, metaphorically, to muddy the water.

The de Havilland Aircraft Heritage Centre also has Mosquitoes and might be a little less 'public'.

49 minutes ago, Denford said:

Ju88

Airfix could very well retool this plane as an A-1 or A-5 and complete a Battle of Britain collection in 1:72.

• Like 1

Chaps,

a 1/72 C-130 should be a good bet.

1) No serviceable kit - I've built all three existing C-130 kits more than once, The Esci/AMT kit has a lot of basic and very visible errors. The Airfix kit from 1971 is gone (stupidly turned into a bad representation of a AC-130...) primitive kit good basic shapes (except engines) tools must be kaputt by now. Italeri's is 37 years old has a number of faults plus being a fairly primitive kit.

2) Extremely well known by modellers - well exposed in daily press so most people knows of its existence w/good rep...

3) Very many users ( about 60+) and many variants. Well exposed users: USAF, USN, RAF (Falklands exposure!) almost all NATO countries, most of the Americas including well-publicised Falklands user Argentina :) (goes nicely together with existing theme), Canada, Australia etc. Used in any number of conflicts / UN use in humanitarian crises (again more exposure in media).

3) R&D sources too numerous to list!

4) It (Italeri) has more or less been in constant production so it definitely has a market.

So... what about it?

Surprise kit in 2022?

Cheers, Moggy (about to start a Italeri/ESCI two-into-one kitbash as a sacrifice to the gods of plastic - that should do the trick)

• Like 3

Avro CF-105 Arrow?

But when it comes to Airfix Classics I would gladly see the F4D Skyray and the F2H Banshee again. Two well made 1/72 scale kits...

Cheers / André

Edited by Andre B
  • Like 1

On 5/17/2019 at 12:33 PM, milli21 said:

Always interested to hear news of what Airfix are looking at... will it result in a kit? When the report is credible my feeling is "no smoke without fire" and  yes it often does... eventually. I am sure someone will be along to say this is absolutely not the case or that Airfix look at 100's of subjects :blahblahblah:   Not sure I subscribe to the idea that  Airfix deliberately lay false trails; that would just be cruel!  

Rich 

23 minutes ago, delticfan said:

What’s the chances of a new tool 1/72 Vulcan B2 soon?

Very low I would say, despite the number of similar postings.

Yes; the tool is old (like many others) but it is the only one.  No competition, so why should it be replaced?  Their purpose is to make money: nothing else.

One could start a new thread on this, but one could make a better case for a Lincoln.  There have never been any kits, just a conversion and I believe a vacform.  More built, more users, more active service and so on.  One might sell some Lincolns in Argentina (who operated them) but it's very doubtful one could ever sell a Vulcan......

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Lol never thought of Argentina as a market for Vulcans. I was just looking at the cover of Scale Aircraft Modelling July 1982 with a cracking close up of a Vulcan in camo and dreaming! Maybe I should be thankful we have one at all I suppose. They do enough damn Spitfires thought it might be a Vulcan soon ah well dream on I guess. Keep on hoping tho!

1 hour ago, RichG said:

Always interested to hear news of what Airfix are looking at... will it result in a kit? When the report is credible my feeling is "no smoke without fire" and  yes it often does... eventually. I am sure someone will be along to say this is absolutely not the case or that Airfix look at 100's of subjects :blahblahblah:   Not sure I subscribe to the idea that  Airfix deliberately lay false trails; that would just be cruel!  

Rich 

Not sure the extent to which Airfix might lay false trails: was the date of the Vulcan 1st April by chance?

More seriously, when they visited Cosford they probably admired somebody's car in the car park, visited the canteen, bookstall and even the 'mens'.  I have no doubt the admired, yes admired, some of the exhibits.  It's understandable that an Airfix employee to be so seen could start a rumour.

5 hours ago, Denford said:

Not sure the extent to which Airfix might lay false trails: was the date of the Vulcan 1st April by chance?

More seriously, when they visited Cosford they probably admired somebody's car in the car park, visited the canteen, bookstall and even the 'mens'.  I have no doubt the admired, yes admired, some of the exhibits.  It's understandable that an Airfix employee to be so seen could start a rumour.

Airfix were specifically given access to the mosquito so it wasn't just a passing fancy

Hopefully a Blenheim IV in 48 scale - I think little more than the nose needs changing (as per the real one flying around that became a Mk1 on being rebuilt). A Vampire would be a good bet as there is no competition out there in 48th scale, quite a few versions possible from the same kit. We will get a new kit in 24th scale in 3 years or so - i would still put money on a Sea Fury in that scale (along with a Mk1). Would love a Scimitar but i cannot see them spending the cash to tool it - would expect a limited run operation to tackle that. 

Will

7 hours ago, Scimitar F1 said:

Hopefully a Blenheim IV in 48 scale - I think little more than the nose needs changing (as per the real one flying around that became a Mk1 on being rebuilt).

Will

No it became mostly Bolingbroke with a Mk 1 nose not a Mk 1,there was a reason Airfix obtained the original manufacturers drawings in Finland and just didn't scan the Duxford one for the 1/48th kit. 

15 hours ago, Denford said:

Very low I would say, despite the number of similar postings.

Yes; the tool is old (like many others) but it is the only one.  No competition, so why should it be replaced?  Their purpose is to make money: nothing else.

One could start a new thread on this, but one could make a better case for a Lincoln.  There have never been any kits, just a conversion and I believe a vacform.  More built, more users, more active service and so on.  One might sell some Lincolns in Argentina (who operated them) but it's very doubtful one could ever sell a Vulcan......

I am inclined to agree with you.  I am also not convinced that a new Vulcan is going to be the guaranteed gold mine/sure fire best seller/ sell by the bucket load (delete as required) kit that so many modellers assume. If that were the case then surely companies would be falling over themselves to flood the market with Vulcans?

Allan

• Like 3

1 hour ago, sniperUK said:

No it became mostly Bolingbroke with a Mk 1 nose not a Mk 1,there was a reason Airfix obtained the original manufacturers drawings in Finland and just didn't scan the Duxford one for the 1/48th kit. 

So no Airfix 1/48th scale Blenheim Mk.IV On the horizon for me. What a pity (for me)!

I think there is no question that Airfix will produce a new Mossie at one point, just surprising that they have gone to scan a Cosford exhibit when they must have excellent research info from the 1/24 model.

I would also think an Albert up to modern standards would be a good seller if released in the right versions.

A new model of a Chinook may be a reasonable seller, but I think Helicopters are generally regarded as the modelling manufactures equivalent of the embarrassing Uncle  for some reason so not a lot of chance of one of them. 

49 minutes ago, RHWinter said:

So no Airfix 1/48th scale Blenheim Mk.IV On the horizon for me. What a pity (for me)!

I would be amazed as the IV was more widely used and has a wider range of schemes. Is there a list of the non-nose related changes? 

Will 

3 hours ago, RHWinter said:

I'd be even happier with a Blenheim V, regardless of scale. That seems to be the version everybody forgets about

Allan

• Like 2

A Swift F1/FR5 and HS125/Dominie and Jet Provost in 1/48th.

Andover/HS748 in 1/72nd.

Wessex, Whirlwind and Puma in 1/48th.

Edited by Lord Riot
  • Like 1

Might as well join the party- it's that time of year I suppose! :D

What I realistically expect:

-A Spitfire of some description

-A variant of the Buccaneer (probably in RAF or SAAF guise) (I'll be looking forward to this!)

-A variant of the Sea King (plenty of options open, maybe even a USN Sea King for the Apollo 50th anniversary?)

-1:72 Tucano (as the type is being withdrawn this year (I think?))

What I would quite like:

-1:72 Vulcan

-1:72 Tornado GR4 (the Revell GR1 kit is still top notch, but requires aftermarket/scratchbuilding/new decals to bring it up to a GR4)

-1:72 Eurofighter (very unlikely) (the Revell kit, while a good kit, has some issues. With the construction technique that Airfix have used with the Phantom in particular, I'd be interested to see what they do with a Typhoon)

What probably won't be announced:

-F-35B (I would buy it in a heartbeat, but I suspect it's a bit too new for AIrfix and I'm not convinced they'd be able to get a LIDAR anywhere near one)

Edited by cathasatail

On 5/17/2019 at 4:21 PM, Andre B said:

Avro CF-105 Arrow?

But when it comes to Airfix Classics I would gladly see the F4D Skyray and the F2H Banshee again. Two well made 1/72 scale kits...

Cheers / André

The Kaman SH-2F Seasprite and Kamov Ka-25 Hormone were both really nice kits that could do with a re-release with updated decals.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, cathasatail said:

F-35B (I would buy it in a heartbeat, but I suspect it's a bit too new for AIrfix and I'm not convinced they'd be able to get a LIDAR anywhere near one)

If I were Airfix, I'd try to do a deal with Hasegawa or Fujimi to rebox one of their F-35B kits.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cathasatail said:

What probably won't be announced:

-F-35B (I would buy it in a heartbeat, but I suspect it's a bit too new for AIrfix and I'm not convinced they'd be able to get a LIDAR anywhere near one)

You're dead right there, in terms of getting LIDAR anywhere near an F-35, have you guys heard of ITAR?

The punishments associated with an ITAR breach are severe, nobody in the MoD is going to let anyone with such scanning equipment anywhere near anything covered by ITAR and you can bet your bottom dollar the F-35 WILL be covered.